The Student Room Group

my mum gave my dog away. how should i get over it?

i have had him since he was 2 months, now he is 7 months. i have had Loki long enough to form an extremley strong bond. but now that he has gone, i can't seem to forget him. everyday when i think about him, i end up crying and i feel awful. as i may never see him again, how should i make myself forget about him and move on?
Holy ****.

Can we get some context, why did she give him away?
Original post by Kobisha
i have had him since he was 2 months, now he is 7 months. i have had Loki long enough to form an extremley strong bond. but now that he has gone, i can't seem to forget him. everyday when i think about him, i end up crying and i feel awful. as i may never see him again, how should i make myself forget about him and move on?

I'm so sorry, hun :grouphugs: it's always terrible to lose a pet. Why did she give him away and is there any chance of getting him back?
As said. Why? Was it hers to give away and how old (roughly) are you?
If it wasnt my choice, then I would be going ballistic at this point. Do you even know where he went?
Why did she do that?
How old are you? Was she doing all of the work? Was he aggressive/too energetic?
Reply 6
Original post by 34908seikj
Holy ****.

Can we get some context, why did she give him away?

He wasn't allowed in the house for a couple of months so he had to stay in the conservatory (which is connected to the house) because my dad didn't like the smell and shedding. So my mum gave him away so that he could be happier. but a week before giving him away my dad and i cam up with a deal. if i clean the mess he makes every day for a week, then he can stay in the house. But i would still have to clean his mess afterwards. however my mum refused to listen to that deal and sold him
Reply 7
Original post by Platopus
I'm so sorry, hun :grouphugs: it's always terrible to lose a pet. Why did she give him away and is there any chance of getting him back?

i texted the owner asking how Loki is and whether i could visit him

he replied saying that "we are not around until the weekend... we have renamed him Bracken, all ok though and he gets on with the cat" (exact words)

i then told him that me and my parents have had a very long conversation and we decided that we would like to buy him back

to which he replied "no chance" because "he is happy, settled and enjoying life"

the worst thing about this is that it has only been 2 days since Loki has gone and his name has already been changed and he is refusing to give Loki back
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
As said. Why? Was it hers to give away and how old (roughly) are you?
If it wasnt my choice, then I would be going ballistic at this point. Do you even know where he went?

it was the family dog but i told them that i would take him with me when i moved out because my dad is not a big fan of the dog. i took him dog training, groomed him, took him on walks, gave him food and i was the one to spend the most time with him. initially when i bought him my parents did tell me that the dog was my responsibility, which i happily agreed to.

also i am 16

well my dad said the day before Loki was due to go that we don't have to sell him and my siblings and i didn't want him to go. we told this to mum but she still didn't listen
Reply 9
Original post by YaliaV
How old are you? Was she doing all of the work? Was he aggressive/too energetic?

i am 16 and i did the majority of looking after. my mum only bathed him and when folding clothes she would roll every single one to get rid of the dog hair
Original post by Kobisha
i texted the owner asking how Loki is and whether i could visit him

he replied saying that "we are not around until the weekend... we have renamed him Bracken, all ok though and he gets on with the cat" (exact words)

i then told him that me and my parents have had a very long conversation and we decided that we would like to buy him back

to which he replied "no chance" because "he is happy, settled and enjoying life"

the worst thing about this is that it has only been 2 days since Loki has gone and his name has already been changed and he is refusing to give Loki back

My heart truly is breaking for you. That is really tough and I am so so sorry. It doesn't sound as though they will give him back, but perhaps you could meet with them face to face and have a conversation. If they still say no, then this is probably something that you will need to come to terms with. It isn't going to be easy and you will need to give yourself some time to mourn him, but you will get through this.
Wtf. That's like giving a sibling away. Which my mum did lol and I lost the plot so she to them back and I've basically raised them.

I would express myself to my folks clearly if it were me.
Reply 12
Original post by Platopus
My heart truly is breaking for you. That is really tough and I am so so sorry. It doesn't sound as though they will give him back, but perhaps you could meet with them face to face and have a conversation. If they still say no, then this is probably something that you will need to come to terms with. It isn't going to be easy and you will need to give yourself some time to mourn him, but you will get through this.

i was just wondering but if he refused to let us see the dog, to see how he has settled in and keeps saying that Loki is fine, is it something i should be concerned about? because when he came to look at Loki, he said we can visit him whenever we like but he told us to come yesterday and he is now telling us to come on the weekend and he hasnt even sent us his address which is what he promised to do
Original post by Kobisha
i was just wondering but if he refused to let us see the dog, to see how he has settled in and keeps saying that Loki is fine, is it something i should be concerned about? because when he came to look at Loki, he said we can visit him whenever we like but he told us to come yesterday and he is now telling us to come on the weekend and he hasnt even sent us his address which is what he promised to do

I wouldn't worry yet as it sounds more like he just doesn't want you to take the dog back, than that he is being abusive towards Loki. I'd call him to remind him that he hasn't given you an address yet or ask your parents to do it.
Oh my goodness that's so horrible :hugs:

Does Loki's new owner know the circumstances surrounding the situation? If they understood that your Mum sold Loki without agreement from the rest of the family, they might be more sympathetic. Perhaps you/your family could offer to buy them another dog if they let you have Loki back? Obviously emotional bonds take time to be made, but humans can generally be very sympathetic to each other's emotions - if you show Loki's new owner how much you love her, but also that you recognise that they would like a dog as well. Objectively, expecting them to give back a dog which they have just bought is unreasonable, but appealing to their better nature and offering to buy them another dog if they let you have Loki back might be a good compromise.

Whatever the outcome, though, I would urge you not to take it out on your Mum. You are understandably going to be feeling very bitter towards her, but the relationship which you have with your parents is special and should be cherished; please don't let it break! :h:

I hope this all turns out well - I'll pray for you!:smile:
Original post by Kobisha

have a dog named Loki and my parents want to give him away so I can sense your pain. Since they haven’t yet I am finding ways to keep him but I am so sorry for you. As soon as i saw that you had a dog named Loki I felt the need to reply.
I think it's for the best if you give your mom away to some strangers the same way they gave away your dog.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending