The Student Room Group

Why does the left REFUSE to acknowledge Islams role in TERRORism?

Im not blaming all Muslims for terror attacks. However extreme Islam as an ideology is clearly causing violence. Terror attacks are in the news ever couple of days.

Why do some people refuse to admit the obvious? Just because the Nice killer drank and didn't fast doesn't mean he wasn't inspired by violent parts of Islam, the "17 year old refugee" who chopped people up with an axe on the train last night had a hand painted Isis flag in his bedroom and yet media are still saying it COULD HAVE been an Islamist attack.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What size is that?
Reply 2
No evidence this was an attack motivated by religious h:colone:te
Reply 3
Original post by IYGB
No evidence this was an attack motivated by religious h:colone:te

:lol:
Some perverse notion that doing so would be racist or islamophobic. The regressive left has a huge problem with decrying any negative thing related to Islam, be it terrorism, sharia courts, homophobia etc.

Left-wing outlets like the Guardian, the Independent and Huffpost particularly struggle with this.
If the majority of Muslims were white, I am sure they would be more willing to castigate Islam, in the same way they do the Catholic Church or the CoE.
Original post by tengentoppa
Some perverse notion that doing so would be racist or islamophobic. The regressive left has a huge problem with decrying any negative thing related to Islam, be it terrorism, sharia courts, homophobia etc.

Left-wing outlets like the Guardian, the Independent and Huffpost particularly struggle with this.
If the majority of Muslims were white, I am sure they would be more willing to castigate Islam, in the same way they do the Catholic Church or the CoE.

PRSOM
Reply 6
Original post by tengentoppa

Weird thing is, the left is also a strong supporter of gay/womens rights. However Islam (even moderate Islam) is heavily against this
Original post by JeremyHunt
Weird thing is, the left is also a strong supporter of gay/womens rights. However Islam (even moderate Islam) is heavily against this

I wouldn't worry what the left thinks any more. They have had a good run, their ideas held sway for decades.

But look where it has got us. They argued that all these different nationalities and religions would get along in our countries, that cultural diversity was ipso facto good. And we see the final collapse, intellectually, as they are now forced by their own contradictions to support the Islamist death cult that threatens us all.

We can't walk along a beach by the med or board a train in Bavaria without getting killed by immigrants or the children of immigrants who hate us. That is where the ideas of cultural relativism and multiculturalism have finally taken us. To our possible extinction as a civilisation if we don't wake up.

No-one seriously listens to the left any more (apart from a naive, wet behind the ears students), their time is past.

The right is in the ascendancy now. It is going to happen all over Europe, and perhaps if Trump wins, in America too.
(edited 7 years ago)
The problem is not sourced as Islam. These people don't wake up one day and suddenly want to help Islam by killing foreigners. They become radicalised slowly over time because of their lives changing - this change manifests in conflict, political instability and various other things. A simple look at the case studies of Rezgui (Tunisia beach attacker), Salah Abdeslam, Kouachi brothers, etc... would all show that these people became radicalised either by a) war or b) being put in prison.

Islam isn't the singular trigger which makes these people kill. Its hatred. Therefore blaming Islam is as stupid as blaming the computer monitors through which they probably heard about IS in the first place.
Probably because they don't want to admit that Islam has problems as this would risk their entire philosophy crumbling. They appear to be idealists rather than realists.
Original post by JeremyHunt
Im not blaming all Muslims for terror attacks. However extreme Islam as an ideology is clearly causing violence. Terror attacks are in the news ever couple of days.

Why do some people refuse to admit the obvious? Just because the Nice killer drank and didn't fast doesn't mean he wasn't inspired by violent parts of Islam, the "17 year old refugee" who chopped people up with an axe on the train last night had a hand painted Isis flag in his bedroom and yet media are still saying it COULD HAVE been an Islamist attack.

Because the right do it for us, and that way we, the left, can look like the good guys.
Original post by JRKinder
Probably because they don't want to admit that Islam has problems as this would risk their entire philosophy crumbling. They appear to be idealists rather than realists.

You're actually telling me that about 50% of the political spectrum unconditionally think this? Idiocy. Saying 'left' as a collective term annoys me more than some of the Islam hate on this site.
You answered it yourself. We don't acknowledge Islam to be the problem, because extreme Islam is the problem.
Original post by swiss_cheese
You're actually telling me that about 50% of the political spectrum unconditionally think this? Idiocy. Saying 'left' as a collective term annoys me more than some of the Islam hate on this site.
I never said all of the left, my post didn't even include the word 'left'; I was just replying to the OP. I myself hold some views that would be considered 'left' and others that would be considered 'right', I personally consider myself to be a right-leaning centrist. My post was clearly geared up towards the SJW brand of left-leaning people.
Original post by JRKinder
I never said all of the left, my post didn't even include the word 'left'; I was just replying to the OP. I myself hold some views that would be considered 'left' and others that would be considered 'right', I personally consider myself to be a right-leaning centrist. My post was clearly geared up towards the SJW brand of left-leaning people.

Hahahaha this is really cute. The OP explicitly said "left", and you then said "they"

Unless you can somehow convince me that "they" is anyone other than the "left", then you've lost
Hahahaha this is really cute. The OP explicitly said "left", and you then said "they"

Unless you can somehow convince me that "they" is anyone other than the "left", then you've lost
I think you need to learn the difference between the 'regressive left' and 'general left'. Fine, whatever, I concede that I didn't explicitly state 'regressive left', but I thought at least that this was obvious, and even if it wasn't to you I'm telling you now that it was directed towards the regressive left. And I think that's who the OP was talking about as well. You sound childish saying "blah blah blah or you've lost", just answer the damn points that are being raised. No one cares about winning or losing, this isn't even the type of debate where you can win or lose as it's very opinionated, but we can certainly all try to discuss the issues being raised rather than just ignoring them, which is what this entire thread is about.
(edited 7 years ago)
As much as Islam is to blame for inspiring these attacks, equal blame has to be solely directed at George Bush and Tony Blair, wreaking havoc in the middle east and creating the new generation of youth who hate The West and The Americans.
Original post by generallee
And now (bodyless) he is enjoying boffing the 72 virgins for all eternity!

I never really got the virgins thing. Surely they'd either be children (looking at their prophet that probably would appeal) or a bunch of Ugly Bettys.

Original post by tanyapotter
You answered it yourself. We don't acknowledge Islam to be the problem, because extreme Islam is the problem.

How so when surverys find that 52% of muslims think gay sex should be illegal, and 100% think it's unaceptable althogether; only a third would report people they knew who were involved in terrorism; and 40% think al women should obey their husbands? All of that is problematic.

Original post by Charzhino
As much as Islam is to blame for inspiring these attacks, equal blame has to be solely directed at George Bush and Tony Blair, wreaking havoc in the middle east and creating the new generation of youth who hate The West and The Americans.

Nah. People who were born and raised in the West have no reason to get murderously defensive about such things.
(edited 7 years ago)

Islam isn't the singular trigger which makes these people kill. Its hatred. Therefore blaming Islam is as stupid as blaming the computer monitors through which they probably heard about IS in the first place.

It isn't the singular trigger, you are right. It's certainly a trigger though. Take your options given; being put in prison or feeling oppressed by war. That has happened globally for the past 15 years, but it's only ones with a Muslim background that take the step to commit a terrorist act. Islam in a sense permits people who want to hurt others, to do it.
Reply 19
Diplomacy. I would think because it does not help the situation and the fact that this issue is beyond Islam. I also don't trust the general public when it comes to assimilating a rhetoric or statement. Look at how the Brexit reaction led to a huge spike in hate crime. People felt justified to commit crimes against the non-indigenous population. I can only imagine what would happen if everyone, media, government etc out-rightly blamed Islam after every attack.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending