The Student Room Group

I can`t take living in my shared house anymore.

Scroll to see replies

Seems legit
Original post by Anonymous
I moved into a shared house in September. There was 4 of us, 2 guys and 2 girls, and we all got along fairly well.

From January the 2 males started argueing. Male A had lots of friends, really outgoing, we used to sepnd hours sitting and laughing in the living room. Male B got increasingly jealous. So in February Male B attempted to stab Male A. Male A moved out and the landlord did nothing about Male A. (we all locked ourselves in our rooms until the police came, who sadly did nothing).

Now it wasn`t that bad as Male B kept himself to himself, and the other girl was hardly in as she was always out.

Now another guy moved in, Male C. he always demanded for me to spend time with him, I couldnt chill with him every evening. made innapropriate comments and always was telling me im pretty. creepy.

Around this time the other girl moved out and we have another male flatmate. Male D lol. He stays in his room and hardly exists.

Male C though I am scared of. once he simply came into my room when I was sleeping, he robs my food, leaves the doors open, doesn`t clean up or pay bills and has a gun in his room.

My tenancy finishes in 2 months. I have no money to move out right now. I lost it last night living like this and spend 3 hours sitting in a cold shower. I can`t deal with it anymore. Please help.

Ask your boyfriend to ask the 2 female flatmates if you can move in with them temporarily until you find a new place to live, if the girls agree just pretend to be nice to them even if their not and do most of the cleaning, washing up, etc so they will let you stay but don't kiss and cuddle your boyfriend in front of them, only do it in his room or they will get jealous and resent you for moving in. If they say yes buy them some chocolates and wine or whatever they like to drink.
Look at rooms to let in the newspapers like The Loot or local papers, in newsagents shop windows, Ymca, type Easy rooms.com on google
But you need to move out asap because it is clearly not a safe place to live especially if the landlord and police don't care enough to take it seriously
Even if you still have a few months left on your tenancy you should definitely not stay because of how bad the situation is.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Seems legit

Just because you might live in a civilized gentile middle class bubble, doesn't mean everyone one else does. This type of thing sounds very typical of a place I used to live at.
Just because you might live in a civilized gentile middle class bubble, doesn't mean everyone one else does. This type of thing sounds very typical of a place I used to live at.

I didn't know Jewish people were known as particularly violent :giggle:

You do get to pick who you live with, you know? If there are attempted stabbings in your house you are doing it wrong.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I didn't know Jewish people were known as particularly violent :giggle:

You do get to pick who you live with, you know? If there are attempted stabbings in your house you are doing it wrong.

Oh wow, I misspelled a word. Harhar.

No you don't get to 'pick who you live with' - most people have no choice. It's quite different from student halls (even then you don't pick!). You don't get to meet with the people you're sharing a house with if you move to a new area and your tenancies all start on the same day with a private land lord. And if you find yourself in a bad house with dangerous people you can't just chose to leave - you actually need to have money and need to find someone to take over your contract. Are you 12 or something? 'Pick' who you live with? In what universe?
Oh wow, I misspelled a word. Harhar.

No you don't get to 'pick who you live with' - most people have no choice. It's quite different from student halls (even then you don't pick!). You don't get to meet with the people you're sharing a house with if you move to a new area and your tenancies all start on the same day with a private land lord. And if you find yourself in a bad house with dangerous people you can't just chose to leave - you actually need to have money and need to find someone to take over your contract. Are you 12 or something? 'Pick' who you live with? In what universe?

It was pretty funny.

Sure you do. I moved in in a new area with a new bunch of people just last year. We met and hung out a few times first. We talked. I established that they weren't the sort of people who might stab me or steal my food or walk into my room and stare at me while I slept. If they were, I wouldn't have signed a tenancy with them. This is just basic common sense. Also, I don't know what system OP is working under, but if you're in a situation where anyone can move into your house and you apparently have no control over it you are doing it wrong. I honestly don't know how common that is but it's clearly extremely undesirable. If the system is that OP had a tenancy with three others then the landlord doesn't have the right to just move another person into the building and the tenants already there shouldn't have allowed that without checking who was moving in.

I get that situations may arise where you're forced to make a quick call to secure accommodation or whatever, or where maybe your resources are stretched enough that you have to take what you know is a bad deal, and maybe OP falls into one of those categories, but the idea that 'most people have no choice' is something of an overstatement.
Original post by Judge Judy
Ask your boyfriend to ask the 2 female flatmates if you can move in with them temporarily until you find a new place to live, if the girls agree just pretend to be nice to them even if their not and do most of the cleaning, washing up, etc so they will let you stay but don't kiss and cuddle your boyfriend in front of them, only do it in his room or they will get jealous and resent you for moving in. If they say yes buy them some chocolates and wine or whatever they like to drink.
Look at rooms to let in the newspapers like The Loot or local papers, in newsagents shop windows, Ymca, type Easy rooms.com on google
But you need to move out asap because it is clearly not a safe place to live especially if the landlord and police don't care enough to take it seriously
Even if you still have a few months left on your tenancy you should definitely not stay because of how bad the situation is.

thanks I think this is the best option. I know for sure the other girls aren`t a fan of me, they claim my boyfriend is too loved up and spends way too much time with me. However, I am desperate, as im working 2 temp jobs at the moment too (grad job hunt is difficult). I would be able to contribute towards bills, and if I simply just sleep there and stay out all day it would be okay I guess.... As even a couple of times ive stayed over the girls have actually come into my boyfriends room asking him to get high with him, or where are the valiums...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending