The Student Room Group

Most scientific medical schools?

Hi guys, I was just wondering which medical schools are more science focused to begin with/have preclinical years before patient contact? I know of Oxbridge and Imperial - any others? Much appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think UCL is probably also the same?

I can't speak for other uni's but at imperial, while is mostly preclinical in the first 2 years, there is still minimal patient contact, like a couple you will meet a patient throughout the year to ask them about their conditon and their progress etc, or you will go to a gp practice where you will interact with patients.
St Andrews?
Original post by Freyr
I can't speak for other uni's but at imperial, while is mostly preclinical in the first 2 years, there is still minimal patient contact, like a couple you will meet a patient throughout the year to ask them about their conditon and their progress etc, or you will go to a gp practice where you will interact with patients.

The GMC mandates that as a minimum for all med schools.
Reply 4
Original post by nexttime
The GMC mandates that as a minimum for all med schools.

I think Freyr meant it in a way that it's still less than a lot of medical schools.
To OP. The above mentioned schools are the only ones I can think of too. Is there any reason why you prefer this? Pretty much all of these universities are BMAT so you'd still need to so sided some others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mliela
I think Freyr meant it in a way that it's still less than a lot of medical schools.
To OP. The above mentioned schools are the only ones I can think of too. Is there any reason why you prefer this? Pretty much all of these universities are BMAT so you'd still need to so sided some others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's what I meant. I just wanted to let the OP know that they should expect this seeing as they seemed to want pure pre clinical
Reply 6
I'm just curious why this is something that you're looking for?
Thanks all!

I'd just really like a course that's very scientific to begin with, so intercalated degrees are a bonus for me! I'm kind of considering a medical research course so it'd be useful. With the preclinical years, I just feel like it'd give me the background knowledge and confidence before going and working with patients.

Where is everyone wanting to apply/applied/studying?
Reply 8
Original post by I can do this
Thanks all!

I'd just really like a course that's very scientific to begin with, so intercalated degrees are a bonus for me! I'm kind of considering a medical research course so it'd be useful. With the preclinical years, I just feel like it'd give me the background knowledge and confidence before going and working with patients.

Even if a course has more clinical aspects earlier on, doesn't mean you won't still be learning lots of "science", but of course its your choice!

I did a BSc Genetics at UCL and now i'm at imperial
Agree with Oxford, Cambridge, and Imperial putting the greatest emphasis on science as the foundation of medicine. The former two in particular are unashamedly science-focussed. I would imagine that most other medical schools will be a lot more patient-focussed and, if you need other options, I would just look at the intercalated degree options in each place. You can become a successful clinical researcher after studying at any medical school.
Hi guys, I was just wondering which medical schools are more science focused to begin with/have preclinical years before patient contact? I know of Oxbridge and Imperial - any others? Much appreciated :smile:

UCL is also a very scientific medical school. There is minimal patient contact in the first two years with a lot of emphasis placed on system based learning (Circulation and Breathing, Infection and Immunology etc.) and the integrated BSc year can vary depending on what you choose. Also, Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL all do full body dissections and have a compulsory integrated BSc year, which will provide you with a lot of skills for research later on.

I'm sure there are other med schools that I haven't mentioned that also meet all these criteria. Hope this helps
Original post by Hazard82
UCL is also a very scientific medical school. There is minimal patient contact in the first two years with a lot of emphasis placed on system based learning (Circulation and Breathing, Infection and Immunology etc.) and the integrated BSc year can vary depending on what you choose. Also, Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL all do full body dissections and have a compulsory integrated BSc year, which will provide you with a lot of skills for research later on.

I'm sure there are other med schools that I haven't mentioned that also meet all these criteria. Hope this helps

I can vouch that the full body dissections we do are INVALUABLE, really helped me picture where everything is in relation to everything else
Original post by Pinkberry_y
I can vouch that the full body dissections we do are INVALUABLE, really helped me picture where everything is in relation to everything else

Hey, which med school do you go to?
Hey, which med school do you go to?

Imperial :smile:
Reply 14
Probably the BMAT ones.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Imperial :smile:

Nice, hopefully about to go into my first year at UCL myself. I know Imperial accepts external students for some of their BScs. Would I be eligible to apply if there's a course at Imperial that isn't offered at UCL?
Nice, hopefully about to go into my first year at UCL myself. I know Imperial accepts external students for some of their BScs. Would I be eligible to apply if there's a course at Imperial that isn't offered at UCL?

Awesome! And yup you should be, we get a lot of externals coming here. I wanted to apply to UCL for my BSc but I found out they don't accept external students :frown:
Reply 17

Bham. It's pretty heavy on science and you get GP placements every 2 weeks in pre-clin.
I find dissections pretty useless tbh. But each to their own :smile:
Reply 19
Thanks all!

I thought this too before applying, but actually I learn far more on placements than in lectures! Confidence is gained from seeing patients, in my opinion :smile:
I've just finished first year at HYMS, and I feel comfortable talking to and doing basic examinations of patients. Sure, that can be gained later, but I'm just saying you shouldn't be ruling out these courses so quickly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending