The Student Room Group

Offers at Cambridge?

Hi, I know it clearly states the requirements on the website, e.g I want to do Law here and I need to get A*AA. However, what I was wondering was if this requirement in any case could be lowered or have people got in without meeting the requirement grade?? Thanks, guys.
Original post by studentjjs
Hi, I know it clearly states the requirements on the website, e.g I want to do Law here and I need to get A*AA. However, what I was wondering was if this requirement in any case could be lowered or have people got in without meeting the requirement grade?? Thanks, guys.

I think that people who have had a very difficult period during exams, i.e. loss of parent/extreme illness may also be considered. But generally, that's the minimum requirement with about 50% acceptance rate if you got them grades (Oxford produced a similar chart with correlation of grades with acceptance rate, A*A*A* was at around 33%
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I think that people who have had a very difficult period during exams, i.e. loss of parent/extreme illness may also be considered. But generally, that's the minimum requirement with about 50% acceptance rate if you got them grades (Oxford produced a similar chart with correlation of grades with acceptance rate, A*A*A* was at around 33%

33%? That's ridiculous for 3 A*s... I've got no chance haha
33%? That's ridiculous for 3 A*s... I've got no chance haha

I'd apply anyways, one person at my school got 4A*'s and rejected Cambridge because of financial issues - so his place may goto somebody with lesser grades. I think that, depending on your subject choice, your personal statement and uniqueness will make you stand out. There's no need to show that you're a robot in grades, because they don't always account for everything (so many students can get straight A*, but have no extra curricular etc). What's more, showing improvement from GCSE's to A levels is also highly respected in the Cambridge admission's offices (as seen on their website).
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd apply anyways, one person at my school got 4A*'s and rejected Cambridge because of financial issues - so his place may goto somebody with lesser grades. I think that, depending on your subject choice, your personal statement and uniqueness will make you stand out. There's no need to show that you're a robot in grades, because they don't always account for everything (so many students can get straight A*, but have no extra curricular etc). What's more, showing improvement from GCSE's to A levels is also highly respected in the Cambridge admission's offices (as seen on their website).

Thanks so much! You really have given me some hope lol :smile:
Reply 5

No, unless you are on target to achieve (and most applicants actually exceed) the typical offer requirements it is unlikely you would get an Offer. Unless you have extentuating circumstances.

It does happen that candidates slightly miss their offer and still get accepted, but that's quite different. 2% of candidates do get accepted with below A*AA but they will be near misses (likely just a few UMS off the grade), and would have been expected to achieve A*AA originally.
Original post by jneill
No, unless you are on target to achieve (and most applicants actually exceed) the typical offer requirements it is unlikely you would get an Offer. Unless you have extentuating circumstances.

It does happen that candidates slightly miss their offer and still get accepted, but that's quite different. 2% of candidates do get accepted with below A*AA but they will be near misses (likely just a few UMS off the grade), and would have been expected to achieve A*AA originally.

Fantastic! LOL
Reply 7

62% of students accepted at Cambridge in 2015 had A*A*A*.
24% had A*A*A.

NB. This is across the university, not just for Law. Sciences have higher offer requirements which tends to bump up the overall grade averages.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/undergrad_admissions_statistics_2015_cyle.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
62% of students accepted at Cambridge in 2015 had A*A*A*.
24% had A*A*A.

My data seems to be old. I haven't checked it recently, thanks for the corrections.
Reply 9
My data seems to be old. I haven't checked it recently, thanks for the corrections.

Your data was merely for The Other Place :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending