The Student Room Group

Funding for computer science phd for an international?

Is it going to be really difficult? At a top 5 university? What sort of profile are they looking for?
Original post by mrahim
Is it going to be really difficult? At a top 5 university? What sort of profile are they looking for?

Top 1% of your undergrad cohort, top 5% of your Masters cohort? Something on that sort of level
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Top 1% of your undergrad cohort, top 5% of your Masters cohort? Something on that sort of level

And then what are the employment prospects like?

Any idea about the USA?
Original post by mrahim
And then what are the employment prospects like?

Any idea about the USA?

Employment prospects are a function of you as a person, not the specific course or Uni you attended. Anyone with a degree from a uni within 20% of any league table position of the one you attend will have the same 'technical' chance of the job as you, and the difference will be down to your relative soft skills and fit with the organisation. Employers really aren't that obsessed about where a degree came from, how the individual fits into the team is far more important. That's not to say that there is no merit in trying to get into a prestigious institution, but plus of minus 10 league table places isn't going to make a difference to your employability if you have poor soft skills.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
Employment prospects are a function of you as a person, not the specific course or Uni you attended. Anyone with a degree from a uni within 20% of any league table position of the one you attend will have the same 'technical' chance of the job as you, and the difference will be down to your relative soft skills and fit with the organisation. Employers really aren't that obsessed about where a degree came from, how the individual fits into the team is far more important. That's not to say that there is no merit in trying to get into a prestigious institution, but plus of minus 10 league table places isn't going to make a difference to your employability if you have poor soft skills.

What are the soft skills? And how do I differentiate myself from others? My plan is to get a computer science phd in a topic in computer science/neuroscience I like, and work in research and innovation (but not teaching). I assume these postgraduate job positions are extremely competitive?
Reply 5
Original post by mrahim
What are the soft skills? And how do I differentiate myself from others? My plan is to get a computer science phd in a topic in computer science/neuroscience I like, and work in research and innovation (but not teaching). I assume these postgraduate job positions are extremely competitive?

Very few UK jobs require a PhD and you're heading for a particularly niche field, so yes, expect fearsome competition. And as an International applicant, it's increadingly difficult to get a work visa - one of the criteria is that your employer must have tried and failed to recruit an existing UK resident. You then have to get the job and effctively be sponsored by an employer before you can even apply for the work visa. Can't speak for your country though.

Soft skills are factors like your communication skills, how well you can work with and/or manage a team, whether your personality fits with your prospective team - that sort of thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending