The Student Room Group

Choosing A-levels for medicine

Hi, I've just done my GCSEs and have chosen my A-levels. I really want to do medicine at university and currently, my choices are:

- maths
- biology
-chemistry
-economics

However, I was just wondering if psychology might be a better choice for my fourth A-level, instead of economics. For me, it sounds a lot more interesting, but it has also come to my attention that some unis see it as being a 'softer' A-level.

I would really appreciate any advice. Also, is anyone else considering/doing medicine. If so, what are/were your A-level choices?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Emilia1479
Hi, I've just done my GCSEs and have chosen my A-levels. I really want to do medicine at university and currently, my choices are:

- maths
- biology
-chemistry
-economics

However, I was just wondering if psychology might be a better choice for my fourth A-level, instead of economics. For me, it sounds a lot more interesting, but it has also come to my attention that some unis see it as being a 'softer' A-level.

I would really appreciate any advice. Also, is anyone else considering/doing medicine. If so, what are/were your A-level choices?

Your A-level choices are absolutely fine. It will not make a difference regardless of your choice between economics or psychology. Pick the subject you feel strongest and likely to do well in. Good luck!
Reply 2
Thanks so much :smile:

Original post by 06shawm
Your A-level choices are absolutely fine. It will not make a difference regardless of your choice between economics or psychology. Pick the subject you feel strongest and likely to do well in. Good luck!
Reply 3
I'd pick psychology as it's more sciency so it should play to your strengths, and it is easy to get a decent grade in it as well :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply.

At the moment, I think I'm leaning towards psychology as it sounds more interesting as well. However, some unis take it as a 'softer' subject - is that true??

Original post by fefssdf
I'd pick psychology as it's more sciency so it should play to your strengths, and it is easy to get a decent grade in it as well :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for your reply.

At the moment, I think I'm leaning towards psychology as it sounds more interesting as well. However, some unis take it as a 'softer' subject - is that true??

Yh it is seen as soft but it's not as bad as say sociology or film studies for instance ; it's considered a science by many at the end of the day. Contact the unis direftly and ask which subject they prefer and if they say they don't mind then just pick psychology or whatever one you think will be easier
Either are good choices although personally I would go for economics as psychology defintly seen as a soft subject (to medical schools) also it kinda shows you have another string to your bow ( think it is brighton and sussex that advise that you take a humaniies as on of your three A levels to show well roundedness) but choose whatever you enjoy!! I want to do medicine an I am doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths mainly because they are the ones I love and want to learn more about
Hi. Firstly, congrats on finishing your GCSE's, however I regret to inform you that the road is only uphill from here :frown:. I'm a second year Cambridge medic, and am just curious to know where you plan on applying (I know the decision seems eons away but your sixth form years will fly, believe me!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lots of TSR advice here on all aspects of Applying for Medicine - including A levels/GCSEs required by each Med School. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Reply 9
Thank you for your reply
Yeah - I have put down economics for now and geography as a reserve. The reason I am asking about psychology is because some of my friends have been telling me about how interesting it is.

Would you recommend me taking geography instead then...?

I'm glad to hear that you want to do medicine as well :smile:. I hope you don't mind me asking, but what have you done so far for work experience and preparation for medical school?
Original post by charl0ttem

Either are good choices although personally I would go for economics as psychology defintly seen as a soft subject (to medical schools) also it kinda shows you have another string to your bow ( think it is brighton and sussex that advise that you take a humaniies as on of your three A levels to show well roundedness) but choose whatever you enjoy!! I want to do medicine an I am doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths mainly because they are the ones I love and want to learn more about
Reply 10
Hi. Thanks for your reply :smile:
I have heard from so many people that medicine is really hard, but so far, it hasn't put me off and I would still love to study it at uni. It is so impressive that you are studying medicine at Cambridge!! How are you finding it?
I am thinking of applying for Cambridge/Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, King's and Dundee. At the moment, I haven't given this too much thought so this list could change drastically...
I hope you don't mind me asking, but is there any advice you would give me which might help with getting into medical school? So far, I haven't had the chance to talk to a medical student yet and would really appreciate any advice :smile:. Also, which A-levels did you take?

Original post by Amphoteric
Hi. Firstly, congrats on finishing your GCSE's, however I regret to inform you that the road is only uphill from here :frown:. I'm a second year Cambridge medic, and am just curious to know where you plan on applying (I know the decision seems eons away but your sixth form years will fly, believe me!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of TSR advice here on all aspects of Applying for Medicine - including A levels/GCSEs required by each Med School. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
hmm I don't know try doing some research into [psychology my advice would be make sure it is something you are really really passionate about doing psychology then do it. and am not sure but isn't economics ahumanities (I don't know we have never had the chance to o economics ect) don't discount it just because it ins't a humanity. its your choice but some research to see exactly what you are getting into couldn't hurt. :smile:

Yeah - I have put down economics for now and geography as a reserve. The reason I am asking about psychology is because some of my friends have been telling me about how interesting it is.

I too want to study medicine at University and I decided to do Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology. Psychology would be better as it is more in line with medicine and it seems very interesting.
Reply 14
Hey,

Sorry about the late reply.

Thanks for your advice. I've done some research into both and I think I'll go with economics. :smile:

Hope you have a good summer

Original post by charl0ttem
hmm I don't know try doing some research into [psychology my advice would be make sure it is something you are really really passionate about doing psychology then do it. and am not sure but isn't economics ahumanities (I don't know we have never had the chance to o economics ect) don't discount it just because it ins't a humanity. its your choice but some research to see exactly what you are getting into couldn't hurt. :smile:

Reply 15
Hey,

That sounds like a cool combination.

Would you mind me asking what kind of work experience you've done or plan on doing?
Original post by Alexandra00
I too want to study medicine at University and I decided to do Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology. Psychology would be better as it is more in line with medicine and it seems very interesting.
If the 3rd subject isnt specified (ie. AAA including Biology and Chemistry) ALWAYS choose a subject where you are most confident of an A grade - it can be Dance Studies or Art History, it doesn't matter as long as you get an A ! Forget 'usefull' or 'will look good' - the Uni doesnt care about the subject, just the A grade.

- maths
- biology
-chemistry
-economics

I chose the exact same subjects! Also applied for med and just finished A2, waiting for results now. Out of the 4 I found maths and chemistry most interesting, biology easiest to get high marks on, and economics requiring the least effort. Chemistry was definitely the hardest! (I did edexcel) I don't regret these choices at all, I'm sure you'll enjoy them :smile:
Hi. Thanks for your reply :smile:
I have heard from so many people that medicine is really hard, but so far, it hasn't put me off and I would still love to study it at uni. It is so impressive that you are studying medicine at Cambridge!! How are you finding it?
I am thinking of applying for Cambridge/Oxford, Imperial, UCL, Edinburgh, King's and Dundee. At the moment, I haven't given this too much thought so this list could change drastically...
I hope you don't mind me asking, but is there any advice you would give me which might help with getting into medical school? So far, I haven't had the chance to talk to a medical student yet and would really appreciate any advice :smile:. Also, which A-levels did you take?

Your Alevel choices are completely up to you, as long as they include biology and chemistry you will be fine for most medical courses (at cambridge I think they requires 3 science at A2 so you would have to do maths to A2 also so just keep that in mind). My advice is choose whichever alevels you find interesting and think you will have a good chance at getting the A grades in (especially if your doing 4). I did bio, chem and geography and found this combination to be great, but its up to you!

One thing I do want to say is with medicine the prestige of a university isnt really important, because you come out with the same graduate prospects whether you study at oxbridge compared to a non-russel group medical school such as Keele, so try not to focus on league tables when your applying. Be aware also that getting into medicine is incredibly competitive, and applying to schools requires you to apply to your strengths, so my advice is do not get your heart set on certain universities right now, just aim for the highest grades possible and get some medical work experience and that will set you up well.

Best of luck!
Hey,

That sounds like a cool combination.

Would you mind me asking what kind of work experience you've done or plan on doing?

There is a care home next to me that I have recently asked to volunteer. But most hospital based work experience requires me to be in year 12. So work experience has been tricky to find

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending