The Student Room Group

Man stabs 4 women for dressing immodestly in France

Scroll to see replies

Original post by swiss_cheese
In the context of terror attacks, its unwarranted, as with almost every single case of foreign nationals committing these atrocities, they are binge-drinkers / drug-users and generally irreligious - but Islam is still to blame apparently. Their actual motive can be sourced to hatred which derives from conflict and corruption - both of which are ripe in the Middle East.

Alongside the fact that going around hating on Islam by yelling "religion of peace" and striking off women's burkas is actually encouraging Muslims to feel segregated and therefore become radicalised.

As a rule there are actually very few sickos out there who will commit terror attacks without their own twisted justification. Unfortunately at the moment the majority of them are using Islam.

Binge drinkers don't just randomly become terrorists. In fact it's something us British do rather well :biggrin:
Funny thing is alot of these incidents have been perpetrated by individuals who have no ''history of radicalisation' according to the authorities.

Don't these fools realise that they don't have to be radicalised (whatever that means). They are just Muslims, this is what they believe.
Original post by 1010marina
As a rule there are actually very few sickos out there who will commit terror attacks without their own twisted justification. Unfortunately at the moment the majority of them are using Islam.

Binge drinkers don't just randomly become terrorists. In fact it's something us British do rather well :biggrin:

Using Islam as a justification does not mean Islam caused them to commit violence in the first place.
Using Islam as a justification does not mean Islam caused them to commit violence in the first place.

I think you missed my point... Few people commit terror without justification which does imply that it's rather difficult to commit atrocities such as Baghdad etc. without some kind of violent ideology behind yourself. And Islam is very easy to manipulate this way. Sure, not every Muslim is going to obey the Quran and beat his wife, but by refusing to openly criticise these passages it encourages the idea that the Quran is infallible. Which does make it easier for people to get it into their thick heads that they can use it for terrorism.

So I really don't agree with you there... It's so rare we hear of random asshats killing 300 in one swoop... Sorry...
I think you missed my point... Few people commit terror without justification which does imply that it's rather difficult to commit atrocities such as Baghdad etc. without some kind of violent ideology behind yourself. And Islam is very easy to manipulate this way. Sure, not every Muslim is going to obey the Quran and beat his wife, but by refusing to openly criticise these passages it encourages the idea that the Quran is infallible. Which does make it easier for people to get it into their thick heads that they can use it for terrorism.

So I really don't agree with you there... It's so rare we hear of random asshats killing 300 in one swoop... Sorry...

The justification they use is Islam. But that's not what I am talking about, I am talking about the events in these individual lives which led to them becoming willing to kill people in terror attacks. You will never ever find that it is a sudden, heart-filled desire to help Islam/Muslims. They do it because something goes wrong in their lives, whether its a family issue (Omar Mateen, Salah Abdeslam, etc), or whether they've been put in prison (Said and Cherif Kouachi), or whether they've been radicalised in conflict (Sediffine Rezgui, and the Tunisian museum attackers, forgot their names).

Therefore, pinpointing Islam as the cause is inaccurate and a waste of time. While they use it as a justification, its not the thing that motivates them to kill.
The justification they use is Islam. But that's not what I am talking about, I am talking about the events in these individual lives which led to them becoming willing to kill people in terror attacks. You will never ever find that it is a sudden, heart-filled desire to help Islam/Muslims. They do it because something goes wrong in their lives, whether its a family issue (Omar Mateen, Salah Abdeslam, etc), or whether they've been put in prison (Said and Cherif Kouachi), or whether they've been radicalised in conflict (Sediffine Rezgui, and the Tunisian museum attackers, forgot their names).

Therefore, pinpointing Islam as the cause is inaccurate and a waste of time. While they use it as a justification, its not the thing that motivates them to kill.

Yes but there are literally MILLIONS of misunderstood people who have had crap situations thrown on them. They don't all become killers. But the ones who find solace in literal interpretations of the Quran do. And the refusal of so many to criticise the more violent, disturbing passagss lends legitimacy to those who think they have found The Answer.

The rest of the poor people learn to carry on with their lives on the whole without committing terror attacks.
Yes but there are literally MILLIONS of misunderstood people who have had crap situations thrown on them. They don't all become killers. But the ones who find solace in literal interpretations of the Quran do. And the refusal of so many to criticise the more violent, disturbing passagss lends legitimacy to those who think they have found The Answer.

The rest of the poor people learn to carry on with their lives on the whole without committing terror attacks.

They don't find solace in the Quran, they are brainwashed by ISIL propaganda which purports inaccurate representations of Islam.
They don't find solace in the Quran, they are brainwashed by ISIL propaganda which purports inaccurate representations of Islam.

And that right there is the problem. "Terrorists don't understand Islam". Instead of writing them off, the better thing to do is to find the quotes they use to support their ideology - there are many, and the representations are not inaccurate, just not morally correct - and instead work to dispel the myths, and admit that passages such as 4.34 are best off left out.

Dismissing legitimate interpretations is a much bigger part of the problem than criticising it, imho.
And that right there is the problem. "Terrorists don't understand Islam". Instead of writing them off, the better thing to do is to find the quotes they use to support their ideology - there are many, and the representations are not inaccurate, just not morally correct - and instead work to dispel the myths, and admit that passages such as 4.34 are best off left out.

Dismissing legitimate interpretations is a much bigger part of the problem than criticising it, imho.

Its not misinterpretations, they're literally warping it to fit their needs.

it should be noted that not all Western terrorists have been sickos/binge drinkers/salsa dancers

most surely (if we just take the UK) not the London tube bombers, or the "Glasgow doctors". or the "underpants bomber" etc etc

there is however a recent trend towards the "mentally deranged" : probably, a sign of desperation by the Jihadi (ISIS) leadership, as non-deranged candidates become harder to find
(edited 7 years ago)
Its not misinterpretations, they're literally warping it to fit their needs.

There are more than enough quotes about war in the Quran to support ISIS ideology.
There are more than enough quotes about war in the Quran to support ISIS ideology.

There are also ones which directly condemn the stuff they do, so blame the people who choose to interpret it as violent and not the ancient scripture.
There are also ones which directly condemn the stuff they do, so blame the people who choose to interpret it as violent and not the ancient scripture.

Why?

The scripture was obviously manufactured by a desert warlord to assist him in controlling his superstitious people. This is obvious to anyone who examines the Koran with an open mind and a modicum of commonsense. It is inconvenient, to say the least, that it can still be used for that warlike purpose, but not surprising.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Why?

The scripture was obviously manufactured by a desert warlord to assist him in controlling his superstitious people. This is obvious to anyone who examines the Koran with an open mind and a modicum of commonsense. It is inconvenient, to say the least, th

Yes exactly, so blaming an ancient scripture designed for that purpose is stupid. Blame the terrorists who exploit it and warp it to fit their own needs and not the religion, given its circumstantial justification.

And herein lies the problem. The Quran is widely regarded as the exact, perfect word of God that cannot be misinterpreted because it's so exact. So if you believe your interpretation to be correct then you pretty much have a licence to commit terror... Imho scholars need to accept that there are flaws that need to be tackled, openly, and not shoved under the rug
And herein lies the problem. The Quran is widely regarded as the exact, perfect word of God that cannot be misinterpreted because it's so exact. So if you believe your interpretation to be correct then you pretty much have a licence to commit terror... Imho scholars need to accept that there are flaws that need to be tackled, openly, and not shoved under the rug

This is again further evidence to suggest that people cause the problem and not Islam.
Come on guys, Islam does not condone the acts of this deluded man who committed this crime. Please don't reply to this/ quote me. You can believe what you want , i'm just stating the facts.
Original post by Tawheed
Come on guys, Islam does not condone the acts of this deluded man who committed this crime. Please don't reply to this/ quote me. You can believe what you want , i'm just stating the facts.

I see. We have now descended beyond rational debate and discussion and instead we can now make statements and claim them as fact with no evidence provided and tell people they are not allowed to argue.

How wonderful. I believe all people called Steve are aliens... But don't reply to this please guys I don't want an argument ya?
(edited 7 years ago)
I should be ashamed for saying that 4 women being stabbed is a better scenario than 300 people killed and 200 further injuries?

Lol, I wonder what your vision of a perfect world would look like..

No one should be getting stabbed at all you utter nit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending