The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Woohoo :woo: just got level 6 and I joined the blue team :biggrin: Even do my entire area is team l red :colonhash:

The strongest pokémon at one of the nearby gym is like 800 something cp :sad: the strongest I have is only at 135 cp :frown:

Don't know how I'm going to beat that :bawling:

Posted from OtherWorld
Anyone got a good summary/can someone explain? Sounds like Pokemon GO is very different to the original gameboy games.
So i used to be competitive at this game. I had seven gyms at one point. Seven.

Now every gym in my area has at least at least one CP 1200, sometimes >CP1600, pokemon in them when my best is 890.

Well it was fun whilst it lasted!
Original post by Zerforax
Anyone got a good summary/can someone explain? Sounds like Pokemon GO is very different to the original gameboy games.

You basically run a slavery ring by capturing harmless Pokemon and feeding them powder and pills to make sure they do well in gym battles with other player slaves. And then you sell the useless ones to the professor for more pills and rob pokestops for free pokeballs and ****.

And by that I mean,
You go out and find random Pokemon and throw balls at them (no fighting). Get free stuff from pokestops by spinning the sign cause you're that awesome. And you fight Pokemon in gyms by tapping the screen. The way you train and evolve Pokemon is by using dust and candy and you once again have eggs that you have to travel distances with to hatch
I wish i'd chosen mystic now :frown:
Reply 805
Original post by Cinnie
I wish i'd chosen mystic now :frown:

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomtjl
Not if you plan to evolve the Pokemon, at least, but then you'll probably catch a higher one as soon as you've levelled it up :tongue:.

Just hit level 20 today, this is my current line up:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah, though I'm expecting that at my level I'm not going to be leveling up fast enough to encounter higher leveled pokemon than the few I maxed upon hitting level 17 - ironically at this stage I'm actually hoping to encounter tons of low CP pokemon so I can catch them easily with cheap pokeballs and transfer them in order to stockpile materials..!

Went to London today (not for pokemon) and came across a level 900 starmie! Needless to say I was pretty chuffed, it has a ground attack as well which should help add diversity

One thing I've heard is that naming your eevee's prior to evolving them will dictate what they evolve into... based on a trio of eeveelutions from the anime.. have you come across this / did you do it for your vaporeon? EDIT: confirmed
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Devify
You basically run a slavery ring by capturing harmless Pokemon and feeding them powder and pills to make sure they do well in gym battles with other player slaves. And then you sell the useless ones to the professor for more pills and rob pokestops for free pokeballs and ****.

And by that I mean,
You go out and find random Pokemon and throw balls at them (no fighting). Get free stuff from pokestops by spinning the sign cause you're that awesome. And you fight Pokemon in gyms by tapping the screen. The way you train and evolve Pokemon is by using dust and candy and you once again have eggs that you have to travel distances with to hatch

Personally I like to imagine Prof. Willow as running a glue factory :colone:
Original post by PQ
I have very little idea wtf I am doing.

I am very amused by the fact that my workplace appears to be infested with rats and bugs :rofl:

I went to Westminster today... and the area was infested with Drowzees :lol:

A clever political punt, perhaps :holmes:
Damn Kadabra are hard to catch

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Architecture-er
Haha yeah, though I'm expecting that at my level I'm not going to be leveling up fast enough to encounter higher leveled pokemon than the few I maxed upon hitting level 17 - ironically at this stage I'm actually hoping to encounter tons of low CP pokemon so I can catch them easily with cheap pokeballs and transfer them in order to stockpile materials..!

Went to London today (not for pokemon) and came across a level 900 starmie! Needless to say I was pretty chuffed, it has a ground attack as well which should help add diversity

One thing I've heard is that naming your eevee's prior to evolving them will dictate what they evolve into... based on a trio of eeveelutions from the anime.. have you come across this / did you do it for your vaporeon? EDIT: confirmed

The Eevee trick is not 100% (I've seen a few videos of people fail it) but it does seem to have a high success rate. Managed a 1250 Flareon earlier from a 501 Eevee named Pyro.

Also hatched a 1400 Snorlax earlier from a 10km egg :biggrin:.
Original post by tomtjl
The Eevee trick is not 100% (I've seen a few videos of people fail it) but it does seem to have a high success rate. Managed a 1250 Flareon earlier from a 501 Eevee named Pyro.

Meanwhile some of us are in the middle of nowhere happy to be hatching a 200 cubone from a 5k and to be catching a <200 kadabra :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Meanwhile some of us are in the middle of nowhere happy to be hatching a 200 cubone from a 5k and to be catching a <200 kadabra :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also live in the middle of nowhere, I just walk ~4km a day and I'm level 20 :smile:.
Original post by tomtjl

Ooo good one, do you know what your CP cap is at your level? I've maxed a Hypno and Starmie and they're 1072 and 1061 respectively, when I'm level 17

I have a 462 Bellsprout whose CP curve is practically maxed already, but I'll be damned if I can find any candies to evolve it :sad:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok so I found an eevee on my way home last night. Can anyone explain which of the three names would be the best choice?
Ooo good one, do you know what your CP cap is at your level? I've maxed a Hypno and Starmie and they're 1072 and 1061 respectively, when I'm level 17

I have a 462 Bellsprout whose CP curve is practically maxed already, but I'll be damned if I can find any candies to evolve it :sad:

The CP curve is specific for the Pokemon that you're looking at. For example, my 1473 Snorlax has a similar curve to my 1265 Vaporeon (almost exactly the same, actually) despite being 200 CP apart.

Original post by PQ
Ok so I found an eevee on my way home last night. Can anyone explain which of the three names would be the best choice?

If it's your first time evolving an Eevee, then I wouldn't bother too much on which Eeveelution that you get. Though Vaporeon has the highest CP out of the 3 evolutions, really it's all about how you use them. I only used the naming trick because I'd evolved 4/5 Eevees and I hadn't had a Flareon :frown:. However, if you really want to use the naming trick then, as I said, Vaporeon has the highest CP of the evolutions so go with that one (the name to evolve into Vaporeon is Rainer btw :smile: ).
Ooo good one, do you know what your CP cap is at your level?

I don't think there is a CP cap at any level. Theoretically, you could have 1072CP Hypno at level 5, it would just cost you an insane amount of stardust to do it, which most people don't have at that stage.

Once you reach the higher levels you can find higher CP Pokemon in the wild which will require less stardust/candy to max them out. Once they are maxed out though, i'm fairly sure that's as strong as they'll get regardless of level.
Original post by Cll_ws
I don't think there is a CP cap at any level. Theoretically, you could have 1072CP Hypno at level 5, it would just cost you an insane amount of stardust to do it, which most people don't have at that stage.

Once you reach the higher levels you can find higher CP Pokemon in the wild which will require less stardust/candy to max them out. Once they are maxed out though, i'm fairly sure that's as strong as they'll get regardless of level.

Well caps definitely increase as your trainer level increases.. so there's no limit on how high their health bars can get though I don't think their attacks ever power up

edit: maybe you can find wild pokemon that somehow have a huge cap level relative to your trainer level, but I've not seen any evidence of it myself.. :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tomtjl
The CP curve is specific for the Pokemon that you're looking at. For example, my 1473 Snorlax has a similar curve to my 1265 Vaporeon (almost exactly the same, actually) despite being 200 CP apart

Ah that's frustrating, if it's on a truly individual basis we can't really gauge what is a pokemon with lots of CP potential in that case..

Perhaps the CP curves are specific to the pokemon species but relate to each other within that species, I have level 734 and 726 Golbats and their curve points are identical, but then my 833 Pinsir has the same curve point as them.

But then again that would mean certain pokemon species can simply be higher than other species which wouldn't be fair... so maybe the best strategy is to intuitively hunt for high-CP pokemon with as low a CP curve point as possible relative to their level... so they have the maximum growth potential
Original post by Cll_ws
I don't think there is a CP cap at any level.

There is.

Quick Reply