The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi!

I'm just coming towards the end of first year Health Sciences, hoping to study medicine as a graduate. :smile: I'm glad there's a thread here. Did you decide after starting biomedical sciences that you wanted to switch to medicine, or was graduate entry always the game plan?

Arron
Hey peeps,
I'm just coming to the end of my first year Healthcare Science as well. Graduate Entry Medicine has pretty much always been on the books since I heard about. Good to see that there's a thread here. :biggrin:
Original post by Ram Charan
Hey peeps,
I'm just coming to the end of my first year Healthcare Science as well. Graduate Entry Medicine has pretty much always been on the books since I heard about. Good to see that there's a thread here. :biggrin:

Anywhere you're thinking of applying to particularly? Going to any open days?

A
Original post by arroncook
Anywhere you're thinking of applying to particularly? Going to any open days?

A

Im thinking of newcastle and nottingham,basically any unis that dont look at a levels, and i might go to open days next year. what about you?
Reply 5
I am also in the same position, studying medical sciences and hoping get a place on a graduate medicine course. How will you prepare for the aptitude tests/where will you apply?
Reply 6
Does anyone know if the unis look at first and second year? I haven't done very well with my degree so far, but I know I can do so much better and I just haven't been very well these years which is why my results haven't been good. I am going to start my third year in the autumn which is why I am not applying this year and if so for 2018 entry, but I am just wondering if let's say I pull myself together and get first or 2.1 in the end and do well on the UKCAT and BMAT do I still have a shot or have I have I burned my chances?
Newcastle and Nottingham are top of my list too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I went to the Nottingham open day, they said they only look at final classification (or predicted if you're not finished) and your reaching the GAMSAT cut off, and then decide on your interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nottingham, Newcastle and Warwick I think. Going to take GAMSAT next year, so that I've got another years science behind me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone,

I'm currently considering applying for graduate medicine. I'm a Human Scientist at UCL.

Glad to see there is a thread :smile:
Reply 11
When I went to the Nottingham open day, they said they only look at final classification (or predicted if you're not finished) and your reaching the GAMSAT cut off, and then decide on your interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, that's very helpful and calmed my nerves : )
Reply 12
Hi everyone! I'm a second year Biomedical Scientist at Cardiff Uni and applying for 2018 entry since I want to make sure my application is 100000% solid ready for application etc and knowing what degree grade I have will also help! I went to look around Swansea (GAMSAT) this weekend if anyone has any questions about what they mentioned I'd happily help!
Reply 13
When is everyone thinking of starting prep for UKCAT/GAMSAT? and is there anyone thinking of sitting both? I'm stuck between wanting to open up more uni choices and just focusing on doing well on one test
Original post by juno96
When is everyone thinking of starting prep for UKCAT/GAMSAT? and is there anyone thinking of sitting both? I'm stuck between wanting to open up more uni choices and just focusing on doing well on one test

I think for me, in my situation, the four year GEM courses are the only appropriate ones because I'm returning to study in my mid-late twenties and didn't do either the right subjects or well enough at A Level.

But given that my nearest and top choices are Nottingham and Newcastle, that means I have to take the UKCAT & the GAMSAT exam anyway!

I'm thinking about doing the UKCAT this year, given that really it's measuring cognitive ability, which I don't think is really going to chance much in the next few years. I'd like to take the GAMSAT next year however, so that I've got another year of sciences behind me before taking a test that has more curriculum content.
I think for me, in my situation, the four year GEM courses are the only appropriate ones because I'm returning to study in my mid-late twenties and didn't do either the right subjects or well enough at A Level.

But given that my nearest and top choices are Nottingham and Newcastle, that means I have to take the UKCAT & the GAMSAT exam anyway!

I'm thinking about doing the UKCAT this year, given that really it's measuring cognitive ability, which I don't think is really going to chance much in the next few years. I'd like to take the GAMSAT next year however, so that I've got another year of sciences behind me before taking a test that has more curriculum content.

Though having said that, I've just read that you can't carry UKCAT scores over from one year to the next! Never mind that plan then!

A
Reply 16

I find myself in a similar situation, the unis I want to apply to happen to be split at 2 GAMSAT unis and 2 UKCAT. Having never sat either of these exams, its going to take a lot of prep for a first time applicant to nail both of these to a graduate level standard.
Yes and no - I think it's going to be different for every student - at lot will boil down to your personal statement I reckon.

A
Reply 18
I just graduated from Bachelor's degree in the U.S., considering the graduate level medical school in the UK for 2018 entry.
Original post by Zoeyjj
I just graduated from Bachelor's degree in the U.S., considering the graduate level medical school in the UK for 2018 entry.

Hi Zoeyjj

I wondered if you have any idea of where you might apply to?

Obviously the US and UK education systems are very different, however, with the right kind of information, you can definitely make a successful transition.

I thought you might be interested in reading this blog as it is about this subject and will hopefully give you some useful information.

Do give me a shout if you have any questions... always happy to help.

UniAdmissions

Latest

Trending

Trending