The Student Room Group

Being guilted into working more

I've just picked up a 2nd part time job for the summer because my first job couldn't offer me enough hours.
I'm working 40 hours next week with 36 being at the second job and 4 being at my first job. Admittedly, I don't like the first job and am glad that I don't have a lot of hours.
I don't want to be working this much but it's just for this week so I don't mind.
However, I got a text from my first work asking if I could come in today 11.30 till 4.30. I said no because I'm already doing 5 till 10 at my 2nd job. She text back basically guilting me into it and saying they really needed me. I stood my ground but how do I prevent her from guilting me into working in the future?

Is that even legal? Its a zero hour contract and we agreed I would just do weekends then said I won't need any more hours cos I got a 2nd job. I know this is only a summer job but I need time to rest and stuff so how do I go about this?
You just say no... Or quit.
Reply 2
Original post by LiquidGold
You just say no... Or quit.
I did say no and she just asked again and I was planning on not quitting so I could work there in the holidays from uni
Original post by rleah1998
how do I prevent her from guilting me into working in the future?

You can't. She can ask for whatever she needs/wants, you can refuse. Eventually one of you will get bored with it and either she'll stop asking or you'll say yes or leave.
Just say no. They can only ask staff if they want to do overtime. Ensuring all shifts are filled is not your job and you shouldn't feel guilty for doing so. If they are so desperate they would try their hardest to fill it, or get in the trenches themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending