The Student Room Group

How do you know what your passion is?

I have read in a magazine that to find a job that you love you should follow your passion but I don't know what my passion is?I like fashion I love looking at fashion but I am not someone crafty who would actually draw or create my own.I think it is just a hobby.My parents want me to became a doctor I used to want to became a doctor so badly but now I am not sure anymore.How can I know what my passion is.The finance sector seems fascinating but maybe it seems so interesting but the reality might be different.Is it possible for me to receive some job experience in medical and finance sector at the age of 15?

I am applying for a level options my parents picked English lit,chemistry,mathematics,biology.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous1502
I have read in a magazine that to find a job that you love you should follow your passion but I don't know what my passion is?I like fashion I love looking at fashion but I am not someone crafty who would actually draw or create my own.I think it is just a hobby.My parents want me to became a doctor I used to want to became a doctor so badly but now I am not sure anymore.How can I know what my passion is.The finance sector seems fascinating but maybe it seems so interesting but the reality might be different.Is it possible for me to receive some job experience in medical and finance sector at the age of 15?

I am applying for a level options my parents picked English lit,chemistry,mathematics,biology.

I dont know how to find my passion either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
My passion is physics and space and chess.
You just know. Okay that's a cop out.

It the thing that if someone said something about it and you have alot to say and have previously considered many parts of it then that's your passion.

It's what fires you up essentially- so for me, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Physics, Mythology, Tolkien, The Universe and Life in general.

If I said something like "Catwalks do not represent what normal people wear" and you have a gut reaction and have considered the topic before then it's probably a passion.

I have a fascination with Mars so stuff like the Rover names really annoy me.
Reply 4
Original post by HelpusPleasus

It the thing that if someone said something about it and you have alot to say and have previously considered many parts of it then that's your passion.

It's what fires you up essentially- so for me, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Physics, Mythology, Tolkien, The Universe and Life in general.

If I said something like "Catwalks do not represent what normal people wear" and you have a gut reaction and have considered the topic before then it's probably a passion.

Do you develop passions or are you born with them? Probably develop but I done physics AS last year. I thought physics wasmy favourite subject but its jit tpo much calhlations that they test you on, like who cares? And i dont find it interesting, only some topics. Whereas football i love and could play all day. Physics or any subject i wouldnt want to start.
I may like civil engineering but how would i know if i definitely like it? By going to open days?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

OMG!!! :woo:
Original post by Fish40
Do you develop passions or are you born with them? Probably develop but I done physics AS last year. I thought physics wasmy favourite subject but its jit tpo much calhlations that they test you on, like who cares? And i dont find it interesting, only some topics. Whereas football i love and could play all day. Physics or any subject i wouldnt want to start.
I may like civil engineering but how would i know if i definitely like it? By going to open days?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think i'm qualified to answer that one! Ask a "supreme being"/Deity/God/whatever.

Maybe a mix depends on how you see life.

If you think we have a soul before we are born and we are simply turned on then how could we have any interests in a world we didn't know? Ie. How is it that if I were created years ago by a god/the god that my interests happen to match exactly what is available in this time?
I know there are people who feel they are "out of time" but I'm not sure.

It's most likely that they develop. You can tell/see for yourself that certain "types" (I don't really like generalising and I know I shouldn't but from experience) develop interests differently.
Those who are "given" social awkwardness and anxiety issues usually look inwards and develop a passion for learning. Other more popular people develop an interest in football and that sort of thing. (no prizes for which one I am!)

I've done Physics and it's fun. But like alot of things some of it is just dull. I guess you won't be taking it to A2? That's when you learn more fun stuff and the calculations seem more relatable- age of the universe, energy of particles.

How do I know If I like something enough to have a career in it?
No idea, I'm facing a similar problem. I just picked the thing that I'm good at and has alot of opportunities and prospects- Computer Science.

I have other interests but the thing with me is I don't really want a career in the sense that I'd rather do everything and experience everything rather than focus on the same thing for the next 50 years or so.
Others will give different advice- I know people who are doing a degree in Mythology, simply because they enjoy it.

It's up to you at the end of the day and what you'd want to do and be happy to do.

For me Computer Science is interesting of itself and has many different areas, plus I'm good at it.
Original post by Kyx

Well Why not?
I'm a deep thinker. I guess that's pretty much me.
I just really am interested in how the world works. Why we are here.

Look at the above post and that'll give a bit of background on me^.

Sometimes I'm a little embarrassed at what I consider because it seems like I'm trying to appear "smart" or you know one of those people. I'm not, I just do it.

Some people in my class said they just used to enjoy listening to where my thoughts and endless questions took the conversation!

How could anyone not consider those questions?

The difference is I don't simply say it doesn't matter and shrug it off- I stick with it and ask myself more questions and read more.
Reply 8
Well Why not?
I'm a deep thinker. I guess that's pretty much me.
I just really am interested in how the world works. Why we are here.

Look at the above post and that'll give a bit of background on me^.

Sometimes I'm a little embarrassed at what I consider because it seems like I'm trying to appear "smart" or you know one of those people. I'm not, I just do it.

Some people in my class said they just used to enjoy listening to where my thoughts and endless questions took the conversation!

How could anyone not consider those questions?

The difference is I don't simply say it doesn't matter and shrug it off- I stick with it and ask myself more questions and read more.

The red words are the passions we share :smile:

Original post by Kyx
The red words are the passions we share :smile:

Oh so all that stuff will probably make sense to you!

Guess we should talk or something.
Not quite sure.

Usually I just bring up a question that I've been thinking about and I go from there over dinner or in class normally.
Just find something you enjoy and that you could see yourself doing for the rest of your life and make it into a career.

Also the idea that everyone enjoys their passion 100% of the time is very deluded. Even people who have their dream job will still have aspects of that field which they don't like, stop searching for perfection :tongue:
Reply 11
Oh so all that stuff will probably make sense to you!

Guess we should talk or something.
Not quite sure.

Usually I just bring up a question that I've been thinking about and I go from there over dinner or in class normally.

Tolkien is one i only discovered last week...
Original post by Kyx
Tolkien is one i only discovered last week...

What did you start with? How did you get into it?
Reply 13
What did you start with? How did you get into it?

A couple of years ago i read the fellowship of the ring and the return of the king, but i wasn't into it.

Then a few weeks ago i joined an LotR forum site, and last week I read The Hobbit. I am now reading the fellowship of the ring again :smile:
Original post by Kyx
A couple of years ago i read the fellowship of the ring and the return of the king, but i wasn't into it.

Then a few weeks ago i joined an LotR forum site, and last week I read The Hobbit. I am now reading the fellowship of the ring again :smile:

Ah, have you considered The Silmarillion? That's the one I started with but it's a little in depth and at parts dull. Much harder to get through.

I've read Fellowship but no more than that.

There's a website called "The One Ring. net" and it has a place called "Barliman's Chat room" It's a nice chat room with people who know the works inside out and it's open 24/7.
Every Saturday (11pm if you're based in the UK) they have a special discussion on a certain subject, normally lasts for about an 1-2.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/chat/
Passion can be tricky. I, for one, always wanted to be a lawyer, but when it came to picking subjects, I went to a bookstore and checked out some textbooks they use at university for law. I was repulsed. And suddenly my so-called 'passion' was gone in a blink.

The thing is, you need to measure up everything these days and find the golden core. Your passion has to be something that makes you happy, can be converted into a well-paid job and be considered a contribution to the society. (Please don't bite me for this, it's just the way I see it).

It can be anything! So for now, I would advise to do some extensive research regarding things you like and enjoy. If you like fashion, maybe go to a fashion show? If you want to be a doctor, maybe apply for some GP shadowing or volunteering at your local hospice? For finance, maybe do what I did and pick up a text book and take a peek at what you'd be learning?

It's a big decision! So don't be afraid to invest some time in things like open days, meeting with people for questions and such. :smile: Best of luck!
Reply 16
Ah, have you considered The Silmarillion? That's the one I started with but it's a little in depth and at parts dull. Much harder to get through.

I've read Fellowship but no more than that.

There's a website called "The One Ring. net" and it has a place called "Barliman's Chat room" It's a nice chat room with people who know the works inside out and it's open 24/7.
Every Saturday (11pm if you're based in the UK) they have a special discussion on a certain subject, normally lasts for about an 1-2.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/chat/

Seems good. Will check it out :smile:
First think about the subjects that you enjoy then try to find out the different occupations which relate to that subject(s) and find out what they entail and see where you can picture yourself in the next ten years.
Original post by CaliforNeema
First think about the subjects that you enjoy then try to find out the different occupations which relate to that subject(s) and find out what they entail and see where you can picture yourself in the next ten years.

I am good at English lit but I don't like the careers with English lit.I am not bad at science maths is a hit and miss for me.
chemistry, all things french, physics (specifically particles and the Universe), DOCTOR WHO, Sherlock, Pokemon :pika: , ma musique, football, tennis and food ofc :mmm:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending