The Student Room Group

British Muslims raise over £100,000 for charity during Ramadan.

EDIT: the thread title was meant to say £100m was donated!!! Not £100,000.

I thought this would be a pleasant read on top of this cyclone of 'Islamist terror attacks' reporting on mainstream media.

http://britishasiansuk.com/british-muslims-raise-over-100-million-for-charity-during-ramadan-which-equates-to-38-a-second/

Ps/ log off if you haven't got anything nice to say on this thread or wish to go on about irrelevant topics.

(Also, Mods please do not remove this thread. I want this thread to help others clear any misconceptions they had on charitable giving in islam )
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

According to my knowledge, Sadaqah can be given to non-Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

look up 'Sadaqa', then proceed to log out.
Original post by Enginerd.
According to my knowledge, Sadaqah can be given to non-Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How does this negate what I have said?
Original post by mercuryman
look up 'Sadaqa', then proceed to log out.

again how does this negate what I said
Reply 7
Original post by BaconandSauce

Because you insinuate/claim that muslims can only be charitable to muslims.
Because you insinuate/claim that muslims can only be charitable to muslims.

No I didn't I made a simple statement of fact after seeking the answer from a Muslim website.

again if that site is wrong you better tell them they are wrong

Here's another one

https://islamqa.info/en/3238

but it seems this one thinks you can as long as it will help convert them to islam (a bit like bible bashers in Africa turning people in to Christians so they can have food)

they should not be given the obligatorycharity, i.e. zakaat, unless they are those whose hearts are to be softened (i.e., theyare close to embracing Islam).
(edited 7 years ago)

The title of this thread is about Charity. Sadaqah is a form of Charity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
No I didn't I made a simple statement of fact after seeking the answer from a Muslim website.

So rather than it being your job to evaluate the trustworthiness of information you pass on to others, it's his job to tell the internet that it's wrong?
Original post by meap
I will, having no other way of finding out, assume you are really this stupid, in which case we can proceed by the mathematical method of proof by contradiction. Assume for the sake of contradiction that Zakat cannot be given to non-Muslims, as you claimed. But Zakat can be given to non-Muslims, a contradiction. Thus your claim is negated. QED trivial

Nope doesn't work that way (I see now you've gone from Sadaqa to now using Zakat)

Nice try though

Zakat is the compulsory amount of money that needs to be given by a Muslim each year, it is not just a synonym for charity.
Therefore the money could go to non-Muslims.

As someone who's worked with this organisation on different projects I can say that the money raised for Zakat is categorised as Zakat money so that it meets the requirements of Zakat. The rest of the money can be used in any way and doesn't have any requirements. Some of that money could be going to non-Muslims for all we know. The point of raising money for charity is not just to help people who are the same religion, race etc. as us. The point is to help everyone who needs it. Who are we to differentiate between the suffering of people? We can't do that and we don't.
Original post by offhegoes
So rather than it being your job to evaluate the trustworthiness of information you pass on to others, it's his job to tell the internet that it's wrong?

Yes that's right whats the point of correcting me if the original 'wrong' information is still available (and it is available on an awful lot of Muslim websites who must all be wrong)

You'd think correcting such a massive mistake would be a worthwhile thing

Are you stupid? Did you not even look up what sadaqa means?

Zakat and Sadaqa are two different things.

Zakat to non-muslims is a topic that's debatable.

But Sadaqa isn't. IT can be given to anyone from a muslim, including you.
Therefore your claim that muslims can't give charity to non-muslims is negated.

You're just being a nuisance in this thread.
Good riddance.
(edited 7 years ago)

Sadaqa can be given to anyone from a muslim, including you.

Good riddance.

Only ignorants can turn a positive thread about charity into an Anti-Muslim one. Pathetic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadaqa can be given to anyone from a muslim, including you.

Good riddance.

No I am well aware of the term Sadaqa

But you should be able to read my OP where I make no mention of it.

You seem confused............(and now a little shouty:biggrin:)
(edited 7 years ago)

The main article doesn't say the entire amount was "zakat." A lot of people give sadaqah during ramadhan too. Muslims can and do give charity to non-Muslims. What is your issue with this? You don't like people donating to charity or helping the needy?
No I am well aware of the term Sadaqa

But you should be able to read my OP where I make no mention of it.

You seem confused............(and now a little shouty:biggrin:)

But you're a sly little loser though.

you edited out your statement about muslims not being able to give charity to non-muslims.

thats what I and @Enginerd were addressing.
Original post by Enginerd.
The title of this thread is about Charity. Sadaqah is a form of Charity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

again, you've proved yourself to be ignorant and a sore loser.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lord Samosa
The main article doesn't say the entire amount was "zakat." A lot of people give sadaqah during ramadhan too. Muslims can and do give charity to non-Muslims. What is your issue with this? You don't like people donating to charity or helping the needy?

Nope I have no issue at all

It seem though facts get a few people rather excited (it's almost like they are embarrassed by them)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending