The Student Room Group

Ask any question about Shia-Islam thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by h333
Jzk for that. Hmm....I don't agree with it whatsoever as it is clear to me it is haraam. And I had a few arguments with my shia friend regarding this....she does not seem to make sense to me :s-smilie:....and thinks there is absolutely nothing wrong with it....although I doubt she does truly.

When I've actually spoken to several Shia on a personal level, they have had interesting opinions on it - they would personally never do it, and one of them in fact had never heard of it until I told them, and they agreed it sounded like 'halal' prostitution; they said they would look into it because they didn't like the sound of it...

Obviously I agree that it has been made haram and that there is sufficient evidence to show that it has been made haram, and I believe the counter argument isn't strong; on balance, from the perspective of Shia, they probably see it as an issue like having up to 4 wives - not everyone wants four wives even though it's permissible, and similarly not everyone wants Mutah even though (according to them) it's permissible.

Edit: It's interesting that in Iran where it I permissible, it is widely abused by the average people to have sex outside of (proper marriage) and there is a prostitution problem there.
Although this is not a proper argument against Mutah, there is a stereotype that I had heard that if you meet an Iranian girl (actually from Iran), chances are she isn't a virgin. Naturally stereotypes are a very large exaggeration, and offensive even, however perhaps it's food for thought as to why this stereotype came about...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 241
Original post by Zamestaneh
When I've actually spoken to several Shia on a personal level, they have had interesting opinions on it - they would personally never do it, and one of them in fact had never heard of it until I told them, and they agreed it sounded like 'halal' prostitution; they said they would look into it because they didn't like the sound of it...

Obviously I agree that it has been made haram and that there is sufficient evidence to show that it has been made haram, and I believe the counter argument isn't strong; on balance, from the perspective of Shia, they probably see it as an issue like having up to 4 wives - not everyone wants four wives even though it's permissible, and similarly not everyone wants Mutah even though (according to them) it's permissible.

Edit: It's interesting that in Iran where it I permissible, it is widely abused by the average people to have sex outside of (proper marriage) and there is a prostitution problem there.
Although this is not a proper argument against Mutah, there is a stereotype that I had heard that if you meet an Iranian girl (actually from Iran), chances are she isn't a virgin. Naturally stereotypes are a very large exaggeration, and offensive even, however perhaps it's food for thought as to why this stereotype came about...

I understand. But with my friend she seems to agree upon just to show love towards shiasm and to go against Umar RA...she really has unpleasant remarks about him. I still treat her nicely because we have to as Muslims and she really is nice to me and loves me as a sister (specifically because I did not judge her). Lol sometimes she talks as if I am against Ali RA when clearly I mention nothing of that sort and I would be the biggest fool. But then she says sorry as she realises she is wrong for making such claims.

Yes I know that about Iran and have some relatives that are there for work and study purposes. Afghans and Iranians share some ethnic groups too so I know iranians but not all are the same completely. Some practicing and some completely clueless to the true teachings of Islam. but I won't generalise.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by h333
I understand. But with my friend she seems to agree upon just to show love towards shiasm and to go against Umar RA...she really has unpleasant remarks about him. I still treat her nicely because we have to as Muslims and she really is nice to me and loves me as a sister (specifically because I did not judge her). Lol sometimes she talks as if I am against Ali RA when clearly I mention nothing of that sort and I would be the biggest fool. But then she says sorry as she realises she is wrong for making such claims.

Yes I know that about Iran and have some relatives that are there for work and study purposes. Afghans and Iranians share some ethnic groups too so I know iranians but not all are the same completely. Some practicing and some completely clueless to the true teachings of Islam. but I won't generalise.

You are a very gentle soul in seeking peace with her, may Allah bless you; my approach would be to challenge her straight up if she was making unpleasant remarks, personally :lol:

Yeah, I get you, and I didn't mean to generalise either, rather I was just saying that those were interesting just to think about :beard:
Reply 243
You are a very gentle soul in seeking peace with her, may Allah bless you; my approach would be to challenge her straight up if she was making unpleasant remarks, personally :lol:

Yeah, I get you, and I didn't mean to generalise either, rather I was just saying that those were interesting just to think about :beard:

Jzk. Ameen. Wa iyyak. I challenge her but not harshly, it is just she has no interest in Aisha RA and the Sahih hadiths. But then again she usually uses it :s-smilie: (she was not always like this, something happened) and I prayed for her so May Allah guide her. Ameen.

Nah no worries I understood what you meant. I know a lot but rather not mention, would be for the better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 244
Original post by h333
Thanks.

Well my question is that why do Shias (Twelver Shias) still allow nikah al-mut'ah?

https://youtu.be/LaoZZDfvtBo

You have been given answers by non-shia's on this issue. With the utmost respect, neither of these answers have done justice as to why we shia's allow the practise.

It's not surprising to see that anyway, if you are not an advocate of a certian madhab, you will not go out of your way to provide the actual explanation.

InshAllah sister, give me time and i will reply to you.

It's a little bit difficult having a number of users here ask questions over several threads. Usually, when i get into discussions it is often three or four replying to me at a time, not on one thread, but grouping to do so on a number.

I have to sometimes stop myself from using TSR because it gets time consuming.

You have asked a wonderful question, and may Allah bless you. I ask in return, for you to withold an opinion as to why shia's allow it, until a shia brother in Islam like myself answers it, if Allah, almighty, gives me the health and chance to do so!
Reply 245
Original post by h333
Jzk. Ameen. Wa iyyak. I challenge her but not harshly, it is just she has no interest in Aisha RA and the Sahih hadiths. .

While we respect Umulmimineen Aisha, may Allah preserve her against all slander, and we deem it harram to abuse or slander her, at the same time sister, i believe i have presented evidence as to why we do not hold her in as high regard.

It's not because we want to do this out of spite, or hatred. Rather, our aim is to obtain as pure sunnah of Muhammed s.a.w, and so, we need to examine the behaviour, past actions, and deeds of anyone who narrates or is in a chain of narrators.

Again, this is only for academic purposes, but i would like you to have a look at the following (if you get time):

3. What is the shia view of Umm Aisha?

Spoiler

Reply 246
**This is a special request to users, i understand some of you group together, which is your right, and post as teams, because you share the same ideology. Allow me to answer questions on a one to one basis, otherwise if three or four cluster together, it becomes very unfair, given the volume of questions i have to answer on several threads.

All source of help is from Allah and Allah alone. May he grant us the ability to continue engaging in these discussions in a way which gives light to the heart, quashes misconceptions, fosters understanding, and promotes tolerance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 247
Original post by Tawheed
You have been given answers by non-shia's on this issue. With the utmost respect, neither of these answers have done justice as to why we shia's allow the practise.

It's not surprising to see that anyway, if you are not an advocate of a certian madhab, you will not go out of your way to provide the actual explanation.

It's a little bit difficult having a number of users here ask questions over several threads. Usually, when i get into discussions it is often three or four replying to me at a time, not on one thread, but grouping to do so on a number.

I have to sometimes stop myself from using TSR because it gets time consuming.

You have asked a wonderful question, and may Allah bless you. I ask in return, for you to withold an opinion as to why shia's allow it, until a shia brother in Islam like myself answers it, if Allah, almighty, gives me the health and chance to do so!

Don't worry what was being said was not new to me. Although I have personally heard from Shias on this topic already, I really wanted your response too insha'Allah. I am actually not going to debate on it here though just want to see your view and if it matches other Twelver Shias.

I know I don't know how you handle it...:redface:
I am in no hury, I actually did not want to bombard you with so many questions so I picked one, after a long time.

Ameen. Jzk. Wa iyyak. :smile:
Reply 248
Original post by Tawheed
**This is a special request to users, i understand some of you group together, which is your right, and post as teams, because you share the same ideology. Allow me to answer questions on a one to one basis, otherwise if three or four cluster together, it becomes very unfair, given the volume of questions i have to answer on several threads.

All source of help is from Allah and Allah alone. May he grant us the ability to continue engaging in these discussions in a way which gives light to the heart, quashes misconceptions, fosters understanding, and promotes tolerance.

Ameen.
Reply 249
Original post by h333
Don't worry what was being said was not new to me. Although I have personally heard from Shias on this topic already, I really wanted your response too insha'Allah. I am actually not going to debate on it here though just want to see your view and if it matches other Twelver Shias.

I know I don't know how you handle it...:redface:
I am in no hury, I actually did not want to bombard you with so many questions so I picked one, after a long time.

Ameen. Jzk. Wa iyyak. :smile:

May Allah bless you.

Dear sister, from our discussions , it seems a number of things your shia friends (i am assuming they are around your age no?) have said show signs of not really understanding the issues properly, in the full context.

I'm probably a lot older than they are, and while age should not really matter , many 15/16 year olds of all religions and madhabs sometimes get into debates arguing in ways they should not have.

When i debate with my sunni brothers, or debate with salafi brothers or christian brothers, i try to find the one who argues best, and knows more than the people i have previously discussed with, and base my impressions on that, as well as the view of the ulema - and a consensus of them.

Be careful of a shia or a sunni who seeks to try to belittle the other group, or convince you to hate the other group.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed

Some of us are merely seekers of the truth.
I entered this discussion to see where it lies and where the stronger more convincing answer lies.
The spread of the questions I advised it is better to just concentrate on one thread.
All the other threads have died out except for this one, and please don't reply to another thread. Just tag and reply here.
Original post by Tawheed

We do not group together intentionally or post in organised teams or tactically plan how to respond to you (we will leave that to the Atheists who tag each other into threads), rather we naturally think alike and disagree with the same or similar things; that said, it is understandable that it is impractical because all of us are quoting you on many threads multiple times - indeed you are not an octopus - therefore Al-Farhan's advice of just sticking to this thread mainly is wise...

Ameen.
Reply 252
Original post by Tawheed
May Allah bless you.

Dear sister, from our discussions , it seems a number of things your shia friends (i am assuming they are around your age no?) have said show signs of not really understanding the issues properly, in the full context.

I'm probably a lot older than they are, and while age should not really matter , many 15/16 year olds of all religions and madhabs sometimes get into debates arguing in ways they should not have.

When i debate with my sunni brothers, or debate with salafi brothers or christian brothers, i try to find the one who argues best, and knows more than the people i have previously discussed with, and base my impressions on that, as well as the view of the ulema - and a consensus of them.

Be careful of a shia or a sunni who seeks to try to belittle the other group, or convince you to hate the other group.

The majority of people I have dicussed with are mature and not 15/16 years old tbh. One of them is very experienced with these matters and actually older than me.

However, I look more to proof than statements made by them no matter how experienced they are. I look at both sides and see where the logic lies more. And I ask Allah swt to show me the right path no matter how minor the matter may be. Now I can't make someone completely understand why I agree with one than another. But I make myself clear in real life. I have also told many times even to the Sunni Muslims to show me proof and not just think I will accept like that.

From my experience though, I want to share that the Sunnis have usually shown themselve to be more clear and to the point than the Shias (real life and from other sources). Still I do respect them and not call them unbelievers etc as I am no one to claim such a thing. However, I do see bid'ah among the Shias more. I don't mean to offend you in any way. I don't know why they don't see this though, and why do I see this difference. For example, harming one self is haraam in Islam, yet the Shias says it does not matter as it is to show love to the Ahlul-bayt. And then are those that are from same sect but reject it completely. Then I see their scholars also favour it (eg tatbir). I just fear contradictions.

I don't hate anyone but will disagree more like. That does not mean one can't get along with each other.
Reply 253
We do not group together intentionally or post in organised teams or tactically plan how to respond to you (we will leave that to the Atheists who tag each other into threads), rather we naturally think alike and disagree with the same or similar things; that said, it is understandable that it is impractical because all of us are quoting you on many threads multiple times - indeed you are not an octopus - therefore Al-Farhan's advice of just sticking to this thread mainly is wise...

Ameen.

Thank you for the comment brother:smile:

I never stated it was intentional, it is just that the same three or four users always post together (perhaps coincidently) on several threads. This is ofcourse, your right, and i respect that, and perhaps it is just the way the forum works, but it does make it very difficult to engage in a reasonable conversation.

It's not just one or two instances, it is pretty much every thread i make , and on many of my posts.

I have adopted a policy of reading, but not responding to many comments if i feel i will later address the consensus of them in a future post which covers the various facets raised in them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed
Thank you for the comment brother:smile:

I never stated it was intentional, it is just that the same three or four users always post together (perhaps coincidently) on several threads. This is ofcourse, your right, and i respect that, and perhaps it is just the way the forum works, but it does make it very difficult to engage in a reasonable conversation.

It's not just one or two instances, it is pretty much every thread i make , and on many of my posts.

I understand; recently (within the last couple of weeks) there has just been more points of contention, I guess, therefore more posts and counter-posts, starting with that thread about groups in Syria, then here, then our disagreement about the ISOC, then this more recent thread about what happened to that boy in Syria the other day etc, and obviously it all piles up...

A brief mention: I do not mean to make this appear personal (my apologies that perhaps it has if I have followed you into another thread for example), rather mainly I am arguing against what I disagree with, and where necessary asking questions to further my understanding (like in this thread).

I first ask for this for myself and then everyone else: may Allah make us more sincere, may He guide us all, and may He forgive us for where we have fallen short throughout these dialogues.
Original post by The Epicurean
Atheist tag crew checking in

Blimey! This must be the fourth or fifth time I've ever been tagged. Things are getting beyond a joke! Is there a Tagging Preference Service we can use so that we can avoid it? Before you know it we'll be plagued by people tagging us into PPI claims threads.

Shia Islam, eh? I'd rather have been tagged into an Ahmadiyya Islam thread: that's a much nicer version of Islam - more friendly altogether.

You forgot @QE2! :redface: Seriously, I had no idea that the TSR atheists so often tag each other here. I've never seen it before. Huh. I'm sure though that the member who said we do will be able to provide some evidence. I'd hate people to think he was just making things up.

Ask any question about Shia Islam...hmmmm. I suppose really my question wold be how anyone can think that Islam is a perfect divine religion when it's caused so much sectarianism, hatred, bigotry, prejudice, hostility, rudeness and division - as we've had ample evidence of right here on TSR in the last few days.
Reply 258
I understand; recently (within the last couple of weeks) there has just been more points of contention, I guess, therefore more posts and counter-posts, starting with that thread about groups in Syria, then here, then our disagreement about the ISOC, then this more recent thread about what happened to that boy in Syria the other day etc, and obviously it all piles up...

A brief mention: I do not mean to make this appear personal (my apologies that perhaps it has if I have followed you into another thread for example), rather mainly I am arguing against what I disagree with, and where necessary asking questions to further my understanding (like in this thread).

I first ask for this for myself and then everyone else: may Allah make us more sincere, may He guide us all, and may He forgive us for where we have fallen short throughout these dialogues.

Ameen.
Reply 259
@Tawheed brother no one told me to come on this thread I just did myself with my own will.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending