The Student Room Group

Can your teacher call a university and get you a place?

If you were to miss an offer by a grade or two eg ABB but get ABC/BBB/BBC, couid your teacher ring the university and possible get you a place? Anyone have any stories similar to this?
Reply 1
Original post by Georgelizmera
If you were to miss an offer by a grade or two eg ABB but get ABC/BBB/BBC, couid your teacher ring the university and possible get you a place? Anyone have any stories similar to this?

No, universities make decisions based on your application and then your exam results. The only case in which something like this would happen would be if your teacher phoned the university on results day after you missed your offer, and got told that they would be accepting you anyway. In this case then they would have accepted you anyway regardless of whether someone phoned or not.
No way
Reply 3
Nope. At most it could happen if they're friends or something and doing a favour for them. If it was possible, everyone could go where they wanted

Universities can't speak to third parties about your application without consent from the applicant concerned.

Anything a teacher can say that would influence a decision should have been sent to universities IN WRITING before results day.

Teachers can't do anything about this it depends how lenient they are with your grades and how good your application was.
No. I doubt they'd want to talk to your teacher anyway, it doesn't show any independence.I missed by one grade (about 5UMS) and was rejected straight away. I rung, and they said that I didn't meet the grades, and that was final. I got AAA at A-level and 10 A*s at GCSE.
I heard about this happening a lot at my school and some of the teachers made comments like 'doing critical thinking AS is good because if you miss your offer on results day we can call them and ask if having an extra AS will get you in' but I always kind of assumed it was chinese whispers or just individual teachers being idiots (especially as having an extra AS in critical thinking is nothing to write home about...I doubt any self-respecting unis would give you a place just for having an AS in it, anyway)
Reply 8
Original post by infairverona
I heard about this happening a lot at my school and some of the teachers made comments like 'doing critical thinking AS is good because if you miss your offer on results day we can call them and ask if having an extra AS will get you in' but I always kind of assumed it was chinese whispers or just individual teachers being idiots (especially as having an extra AS in critical thinking is nothing to write home about...I doubt any self-respecting unis would give you a place just for having an AS in it, anyway)

That's automatically bs because when applying you are required to put down all the grades you have already and all the courses you are currently doing. So the extra AS level would already be on the application

If you go into clearing then I think it's your responsibility to contact universities.

You have to ring the universities directly yourself. You can nominate someone if you're away but that will most likely be a parent.
Original post by Devify
That's automatically bs because when applying you are required to put down all the grades you have already and all the courses you are currently doing. So the extra AS level would already be on the application

Yeah I know that I've already been to uni haha. Just saying what I heard when I was applying*
Would you ask your teacher to wipe your arse?

When I realised I'd missed my grades for my firm choice, I ran into the careers office to find my music teacher (I was applying for music) was already on the phone to the college in question. He then passed the phone to me and they said they were taking me anyway :king1:

That said, it was exactly as outlined in the quote below from marioman :yep:

Original post by marioman
No, universities make decisions based on your application and then your exam results. The only case in which something like this would happen would be if your teacher phoned the university on results day after you missed your offer, and got told that they would be accepting you anyway. In this case then they would have accepted you anyway regardless of whether someone phoned or not.

:ditto:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending