The Student Room Group

How Do You Watch Your TV In Halls?

I'm starting uni in September and staying in halls - I was wondering what most people do in concerns to watching TV when in a similar situation?

Do you split the cost of a TV license with your flatmates? Have a TV in your room (if allowed)? Use Netflix? Watch things online?

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by odetosleep
I'm starting uni in September and staying in halls - I was wondering what most people do in concerns to watching TV when in a similar situation?

Do you split the cost of a TV license with your flatmates? Have a TV in your room (if allowed)? Use Netflix? Watch things online?

Thanks in advance!

Some people I know brought TV's, I just streamed stuff online.

Thanks in advance!

very few people I know paid for a TV license with flatmates because not everyone will be prepared to do so, especially in the age of online streaming and netflix.

I personally just use netflix and watch catchup TV online.
My uni provided a tv licence as part of the rent..

Thanks in advance!

Hello :smile:

If you're living in a halls, you'll need to buy a TV license if you're going to watch TV in your own room - I don't know of any university that actually provides TV licenses for individual rooms - I know it's usually just for the common room.

So if you're going to watch TV in your room, you'll need your own TV and a license - when I was at university I just used to watch Netflix and stream things online but I know that by the end of the this year you're going to need a TV license to stream things like 4oD and BBC iPlayer if all reports are true!

Thanks in advance!

I've never had a TV at uni. Why waste money on a TV license when you can just watch everything online?
I have projector for my room with Kodi
Perfect Entertainment
all you need is an internet connection and chromecast instead of a tv liscence
Reply 8
Mostly online but did watch normal TV at times

don't bother with a tv license
Stream stuff online. Simple!

If you get caught, then you clearly were watching something, you weren't supposed to hunny.
Never bothered. Never had the time. Watched football down the pub and streamed the odd programme online.
I'm just planning to watch Netflix on my laptop. It's obviously not the biggest screen ever, but it's big enough, and there's enough content on Netflix to last forever. It helps that I don't watch much normal TV anyway at the moment, though I will miss some BBC shows - but they're not worth the cost of the license fee; I'll just catch up on those shows when I'm home during the holidays.
Reply 12
I haven't watched TV in like 3 years and I'm not even at uni. I just don't find it interesting. Anything that is interesting I can catch later or see the fun bits on YouTube.

Last time I checked, the TV licence was only if you watch live TV. Watching catch-up services aren't included.
I had a little tv in my room I think - this was before freeview so I just had an aerial. Can't remember if I bought a tv licence - I think we had one that covered all the rooms though I may be mistaken. Tbh I hardly watched it- occasionally we would all pile into someone's room to watch a film or something.*
Original post by Devify
I haven't watched TV in like 3 years and I'm not even at uni. I just don't find it interesting. Anything that is interesting I can catch later or see the fun bits on YouTube.

Last time I checked, the TV licence was only if you watch live TV. Watching catch-up services aren't included.

By September a new law is coming in which means you have to have a TV licence to watch BBC iPlayer as well http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence
Reply 15
Original post by Fox Corner
By September a new law is coming in which means you have to have a TV licence to watch BBC iPlayer as well http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/bbc-iplayer-and-the-tv-licence

Well, I'm fine either way. I only watch stuff on YouTube or Netflix most of the time
Reply 16
Original post by Fox Corner

How can they [the regulatory board] check if you have it or not?
Original post by Pato1
How can they [the regulatory board] check if you have it or not?

Well you can do your TV licence online, and I suppose BBC will make you log in (with your address) in order to watch anything. Then they can just check and if it doesn't match then you can't watch. But idk.
surely streaming tv online still requires a tv license ?
Original post by fefssdf
surely streaming tv online still requires a tv license ?

Only if it's being streamed live.

And from the first of september if you are watching any BBC programme live or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending