The Student Room Group

Can I become a research scientist with just a degree?

I'm interested in becoming an industrial research scientist.
I was wondering if I can do this with a BSc in Human Biosciences , without having had a relevant placement?

Or what are the minimum positions for someone with just a relevant degree to get into the science research field?
Reply 1
Original post by colourstar
I'm interested in becoming an industrial research scientist.
I was wondering if I can do this with a BSc in Human Biosciences , without having had a relevant placement?

Or what are the minimum positions for someone with just a relevant degree to get into the science research field?

you need a PhD to go onto to postdocs within the field prior to research
Reply 2
Original post by lilGem
you need a PhD to go onto to postdocs within the field prior to research

What could I do with a masters and how would this be different to a PhD? thanks
colourstar
---

lilGem
---

colourstar,

as lilGem said, you would need a doctorate to become a proper research scientist in your field
(or a masters with a lot of work experience)
a doctorate is much longer and more intellectually rigorous than MSc

but with just a BSc - you can still be a research scientist assistant - which is what i am planning to do for now

best wishes
Reply 4
Original post by colourstar
What could I do with a masters and how would this be different to a PhD? thanks

a masters is a year long programme, you could do a taught programme or by research, if by research it will still have some taught components but this will vary by uni as to whether it is examined via coursework or not.

A PhD is a doctor of philosophy within a specific area. this accumulates within a 60,000+/- thesis which is written over 3.5-4 years. in this time you are working within a research lab, writing papers to go towards journals, presenting in conferences and such. This is assessed via the thesis and a viva. at the end of the year there is a transition assessment. PhDs can be funded or self funded. if funded there are a number of options for this*

Quick Reply

Latest