The Student Room Group

Man stabs 4 women for dressing immodestly in France

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by Zvha
"Islamic terrorism" isn't a thing because terrorism has no religion; terrorists are merely driven by their own ****ed up beliefs and not what Islam teaches them, because that is not what Islam teaches anyone.
Islamist terrorism is very much a thing. It is terrorism motivated and justifed by an interpretation of Islamic ideology.

Just like the Marxist terrorism of the Red Army Faction and Shining Path, or the sectarian Nationalist terrorism of the IRA, or the apocalyptic religious terrorism of Aum Shinrikyo.

"Terrorism has no religion" is a meaningless phrase, like "war has no nationality". It may sound good, but that doesn't mean that nations cannot go to war, or that religious ideology cannot motivate terrorism.
Reply 421
Original post by Real_jenn
ahhhhhh muslims,you either love them or you hate them!
Or you could treat them as individuals and judge them on their words and actions.

Islam, as an ideology, however is a completely different thing. That does seem to elicit such binary emotion.
Reply 422
Original post by swiss_cheese
Its time to give up, you've already embarrassed yourself with your lack of knowledge of Islam on the charity thread.

Dunning-Kruger in full effect!
Original post by QE2
Or you could treat them as individuals and judge them on their words and actions.

Islam, as an ideology, however is a completely different thing. That does seem to elicit such binary emotion.

We do judge by actions,that's why there is a growing fear/sense of resentment towards them sir😶😊
Reply 424
We do judge by actions,that's why there is a growing fear/sense of resentment towards them sir😶😊
It's important to realise that it is not all Muslims who take the ideology literally - and want to implement that IRL.
Original post by Lujubi
Did you read my post? I said that less than 2% of terrorist attacks are carried out by Muslims.

You just copied and pasted Wikipedia articles telling me that terrorist attacks happen in Iraq and other ME countries. Arr you surprised that terrorist attacks happen in majority-Muslim countries too?
You said that less than 2% of terrorist attacks are carried out by Muslims, I provided some evidence showing that what you said is false, pretty simple concept.
Original post by QE2
It's important to realise that it is not all Muslims who take the ideology literally - and want to implement that IRL.

And I ask how do we distinguish between the ones who do and the ones who don't?
Reply 427
And I ask how do we distinguish between the ones who do and the ones who don't?
How do we distinguish between the general population and those who will be murderers or child rapists?
Original post by QE2
Islamist terrorism is very much a thing. It is terrorism motivated and justifed by an interpretation of Islamic ideology.

Just like the Marxist terrorism of the Red Army Faction and Shining Path, or the sectarian Nationalist terrorism of the IRA, or the apocalyptic religious terrorism of Aum Shinrikyo.

"Terrorism has no religion" is a meaningless phrase, like "war has no nationality". It may sound good, but that doesn't mean that nations cannot go to war, or that religious ideology cannot motivate terrorism.
as you indicated, there is a long history of religiously-motivated terrorism, just like there is a long history of nationalistically-motivated terrorism, or terrorism motivated by the hope in proletarian revolution, or in the anarchist ideal etc etc

you have the ideologies, but then, of course that each person has individual motivations

happy, satisfied people rarely blow themselves up in terror operations : and it's obvious that terrorists have, often, a wide range of individual grievances, failures, perceived injustices, difficult family histories, psychological conditions etc etc

however, can you really disregard the ideologies and concentrate on the individual motivations only ? it clearly is a mix of both : in which proportions, varies from case to case

some will claim, " Even if X said that he killed because it's the duty of each true believer to defend the Ummah and to avenge Muslims massacred by the kuffar, this is not true, he killed because he is crazy and had personal problems: this has nothing to do with islam".

But why should we disregard the explicit declarations by the terrorists ? why is their word completely irrelevant and worthless ? in fact, anarchists killed for the sake of the anarchist ideal, IRA for a united Ireland, Tamil Tigers for an independent Tamil Eelam, Ismaili "assassins" for their apocalyptic religious visions, Communists for the proletarian revolution, and AlQaida/ISIS for their ideal Islamic jihad.

In my view, it does make a lot of sense.

One last remark : recent terrorist attacks have been, increasingly, the work of somehow deranged people. This was not the case of many previous Islamist terror attackers : e.g., in the UK, the London Tube bombers, the "Glasgow doctors", the "underpants bomber".

Perhaps, this means that the "terrorist impresarios" have increasing difficulties in finding appropriate candidates
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 429
Original post by Terry Tibbs
You said that less than 2% of terrorist attacks are carried out by Muslims, I provided some evidence showing that what you said is false, pretty simple concept.

I said less than 2% of terrorists attacks are carried out in the US. All you did was copy-paste Wikipedia links about terrorist attacks in majority Muslim countries. A quick question:

Are you bad at reading others posts as you with the evidence you post?
Original post by Lujubi
I said less than 2% of terrorists attacks are carried out in the US. All you did was copy-paste Wikipedia links about terrorist attacks in majority Muslim countries. A quick question:

Ooooh... fighting words, fighting words indeed.

"Islamic Terrorism is no growing threat, especially in the US. I'd like to add that less than 2% of terrorism has been committed by Muslims." So this is what you said and it appears the problem here lies in your incapacity to write with proper sentence structure and phrasing as opposed to some lack of reading ability on my part. Allow me to adjust that for you:

"Islamic Terrorism is no growing threat, especially in the US where less than 2% of terrorism has been committed by Muslims.", you know, just to make it clear where your 2% figure is in reference to. I know, it's hard, but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Oh and it also seems you had a bit of a tumble with your little snarky quip, I think you meant to say: "Are you as bad at reading other's posts as you are with the evidence you post?".
That marmite comment is completely irrelevant to the actual point. Stick to the facts and stop trying to prove that Muslims are a type of food.
Original post by Lujubi

Out of 7 terror attacks since the start of 2015, 4 have been Islamic extremism. 2 of the other 3 because of white-black racial tensions and BLM/white south, and the last, an attack on Planned Parenthood (evangelical Christianity).

What timescale is your data from?
Original post by Lujubi
Did you read my post? I said that less than 2% of terrorist attacks are carried out by Muslims.
could you please tell us on which source you are basing your claim ?

this is a long thread, so I may have missed your post indicating the source

best
Original post by Lujubi
It's not wrong. It's from the Global Research site (Statistics are for the US). It''ll help if you clicked on the link and read my post before replying.

You also say that the average Muslim is not moderate. I need a source for this or else I'm assuming it's *******s.
My family are Muslim. Are you calling them radical?

Your previous post : Islamic Terrorism is no growing threat, especially in the US. I'd like to add that less than 2% of terrorism has been committed by Muslims.
I thought that the 2nd sentence was an independent statement (I thought you meant Europe as well which would be wrong because most terror attacks in europe are commited by radical muslims) .
First of all, if the average muslim is radical and your parents are muslims that doesn't mean that your parents are radical (it would be a logical fallacy) .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV710c1dgpU .
There are many other sources that indicate there's a problem with the average muslim (not with every muslim, but unfortunately with the majority) , for example a muslim population is asked several questions and the majority supports the non-western view .
In my opinion Islam is the problem not muslims . It's an ideology that doesn't fit in the western world . Of course christianity doesn't fit as well , in fact most religions are completely irrelevant nowadays , but christianity changed : the radical / irrational parts are ignored and they stick on abstract ideas such as love and tolerance (it's a way of gradually ignoring religions but that's the spirit of progress anyway*, that's why christianity is still quiet relevant) .
* Many studies suggest ( considering growth rates) that the atheist population will become more than 50% on global scale by the end of 2040-2050 ( followed by islam in the 2nd place ). Inshallah.
Original post by QE2
The sun is Muslim.

and the moon and the stars as well.
Reply 436
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Ooooh... fighting words, fighting words indeed.

"Islamic Terrorism is no growing threat, especially in the US. I'd like to add that less than 2% of terrorism has been committed by Muslims." So this is what you said and it appears the problem here lies in your incapacity to write with proper sentence structure and phrasing as opposed to some lack of reading ability on my part. Allow me to adjust that for you:

"Islamic Terrorism is no growing threat, especially in the US where less than 2% of terrorism has been committed by Muslims.", you know, just to make it clear where your 2% figure is in reference to. I know, it's hard, but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Oh and it also seems you had a bit of a tumble with your little snarky quip, I think you meant to say: "Are you as bad at reading other's posts as you are with the evidence you post?".

I don't regard discussing your prejudice against Muslims as a fight tbh. Most of your posts seem to be led by your negative emotion against Muslims and I'm just here to clear that up for you. You seem to be getting very worked up. :redface:

My statistics were right and yours did nothing but tell me that people in Syria were bombed. Since you didn't manage to deduce what my statistics meant, it shows that Islamic Terrorism is not a threat in the West. Your Wikipedia link proved that too.

Your wikipedia links also show that Muslims are usually the victims of these terrorist attacks thus proving that Islam is not the primary motive of these attacks. Do you really think killing Muslims (especially the attack in Medina during Ramadan) is Islamic, let alone killing non-Muslims?

I suggest you take up my advice and read my posts and your sources before you get into a muddle. You

Islamophobia is rife on this forum and you're part of it (and yes, Islamophobia does exist).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 437
Original post by mariachi
could you please tell us on which source you are basing your claim ?

this is a long thread, so I may have missed your post indicating the source

best

If you click on my original post, I've posted links to the sources.

I haven't seen you on the ISOC for a long time. How have you been?
Original post by Lujubi
Do you really think killing Muslims (especially the attack in Medina during Ramadan) is Islamic, let alone killing non-Muslims?

Given it has been happening for about 1400 years I'd say YES.
(Muslims killing the wrong sort of Muslims and then everyone else is well documented by both Muslim historians and non Muslim historians)

But to convince this is right would be impossible.
Reply 439
Original post by BaconandSauce
Given it has been happening for about 1400 years I'd say YES.
(Muslims killing the wrong sort of Muslims and then everyone else is well documented by both Muslim historians and non Muslim historians)

But to convince this is right would be impossible.

Tut tut. You've shown that you are not an expert on Islam therefore your claims about Islam are irrelevant.
Read above post. Apologies for the late reply, I was too busy replying to your other post. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest