The Student Room Group

Why immigration can't be reduced

Immigration can't be reduced and both the home secretary and PM knows this, that is why they refuse to put a figure on it and simply say "sustainable levels"

Reducing immigration would have a serious effect on universities because students are counted in the immigration figures and the government needs money from foreign students to keep fees for home students down.

Employers need foreign workers to fill seasonal and temporary jobs and to bring in people with essential skills at short notice. If the immigration rules were too tight, it would discourage employers from opening or expanding in the UK and they would take jobs or entire companies to other countries.

If immigration rules were too tight, other countries that get a lot of immigrants from the UK like the USA would also tighten their rules for UK migrants and affect people and companies that need to recruit British workers or move workers around different countries.

Scroll to see replies

Keep it less then 10,000 a year and start sending some back
Original post by Maker
Immigration can't be reduced and both the home secretary and PM knows this, that is why they refuse to put a figure on it and simply say "sustainable levels"

Reducing immigration would have a serious effect on universities because students are counted in the immigration figures and the government needs money from foreign students to keep fees for home students down.

Employers need foreign workers to fill seasonal and temporary jobs and to bring in people with essential skills at short notice. If the immigration rules were too tight, it would discourage employers from opening or expanding in the UK and they would take jobs or entire companies to other countries.

If immigration rules were too tight, other countries that get a lot of immigrants from the UK like the USA would also tighten their rules for UK migrants and affect people and companies that need to recruit British workers or move workers around different countries.

Immigration may not be reduced, but controls can be placed on the category and 'home' country of the immigrant. Makes a difference.
Original post by MyBloodisBlue
Keep it less then 10,000 a year and start sending some back

Trouble is, when you have an 11 year low on unemployment
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36844302

and employers are reporting difficulty in being able to recruit high skilled workers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36783460

and you have a population hell bent on keeping "them" out, just exactly what should one do?
Original post by ByEeek
Trouble is, when you have an 11 year low on unemployment
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36844302

and employers are reporting difficulty in being able to recruit high skilled workers
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36783460

and you have a population hell bent on keeping "them" out, just exactly what should one do?

Keep them out and get companies to up skill our workforces through training regimes its not hard, all they will need is some government incentives we can match any workforce in the world, the problem is the answer for too long has been import a worker, we need to make our workforces more skilled . Companies should do a skills gap analysis and support workers in getting to an higher standard, not simply import them, its not rocket science if the demand is very low and its something we need IE a top suregon I would allow us to import one then but unskilled migrants coming en-masse I do not support.
Keep them out and get companies to up skill our workforces through training regimes its not hard,

Says someone who clearly knows nothing about business. Take a business - any business, and ask one question.

What is the purpose of that business?

You should get answers like
John Lewis - to sell household goods to consumers and to never knowingly undersell them
Cocoa Cola - to sell the world a sweet fizzy drink
Volvo - to sell consumers cars that will right off any other car that crashes into them
Bob's Kebab Emporium - to sell drunk consumers "quality" meat feasts
Cosco - to sell small and medium businesses value wholesale goods
And so on and so on.

Note that no where do any of the answers state train workforce from scratch. And that is the problem. The cost of taking someone off the street and turning them into Software Developers or Supermarket Analysts or Car Designers is just too much for even the largest companies to take on. They even wrote a play about it! (see My Fair Lady) For a bit of context, one week's training in the software world can be anything from £1500 to £5k depending on what it is and where it is. If you do that training in house, you have to take your senior developers off the job to train someone up so you end up paying at least two people whilst not seeing anything to the business in return.

It is our government's responsibility to encourage people into university to train, but people keep doing useless English and Media Studies degrees with a McJob in mind whilst engineers still end up forking out £50k in loans to train. No wonder there is a shortage of talent. Meanwhile, employers need to recruit now. And you are saying, "It's not rocket science." It f***ing is mate - and there is no one in the country who has the skills to do rocket science.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Keep them out and get companies to up skill our workforces through training regimes its not hard, all they will need is some government incentives we can match any workforce in the world, the problem is the answer for too long has been import a worker, we need to make our workforces more skilled . Companies should do a skills gap analysis and support workers in getting to an higher standard, not simply import them, its not rocket science if the demand is very low and its something we need IE a top suregon I would allow us to import one then but unskilled migrants coming en-masse I do not support.

Large companies will not want to train UK workers, they would transfer jobs overseas. Small and medium size companies would suffer from a lack of skill workers and have to spend money training them although, they would more likely poach them from other companies rather than solve a skills gap.

Given how easy it is to do jobs on the internet, British companies would get overseas workers to do the work British workers can't do or too expensive to employ them.
Original post by ByEeek
Says someone who clearly knows nothing about business. Take a business - any business, and ask one question.

What is the purpose of that business?

You should get answers like
John Lewis - to sell household goods to consumers and to never knowingly undersell them
Cocoa Cola - to sell the world a sweet fizzy drink
Volvo - to sell consumers cars that will right off any other car that crashes into them
Bob's Kebab Emporium - to sell drunk consumers "quality" meat feasts
Cosco - to sell small and medium businesses value wholesale goods
And so on and so on.

Note that no where do any of the answers state train workforce from scratch. And that is the problem. The cost of taking someone off the street and turning them into Software Developers or Supermarket Analysts or Car Designers is just too much for even the largest companies to take on. They even wrote a play about it! (see My Fair Lady) For a bit of context, one week's training in the software world can be anything from £1500 to £5k depending on what it is and where it is. If you do that training in house, you have to take your senior developers off the job to train someone up.

It is our government's responsibility to encourage people into university to train, but people keep doing useless English and Media Studies degrees with a McJob in mind whilst engineers still end up forking out £50k in loans to train. No wonder there is a shortage of talent. Meanwhile, employers need to recruit now. And you are saying, "It's not rocket science." It f***ing is mate - and there is no one in the country who has the skills to do rocket science.

I never said that the government was not at fault, there is not enough incentive, some companies IE lloyds banking group pay employees to go to university and do a qualification, Would you be happy for unrestrained immigration for the rest of time I wouldn't There are some answers such as scrapping VAT on corporate training packages government incentives, I would be happy to make a rule where you can work in the UK but not live here, Importing has made it too easy for companies we need our people to be put first
Original post by Maker
Large companies will not want to train UK workers, they would transfer jobs overseas. Small and medium size companies would suffer from a lack of skill workers and have to spend money training them although, they would more likely poach them from other companies rather than solve a skills gap.

Given how easy it is to do jobs on the internet, British companies would get overseas workers to do the work British workers can't do or too expensive to employ them.

Then if they do that I would enforce more corporation tax on companies who do that, and if they go to a tax haven i would shut them down in the UK so they can not sell to British people, We need to get heavier on MNC's Jaguar land Rover in the West Midlands do apprenticeships and graduate level jobs which trains employees towards a qualification improving the quality of the British workforce unrestrained immigration caused the problem in the first instance because companies could withdraw funds for training and import another worker, By the way I am not a communist I am not I do not like importing people our population is far too high if we import one we need to export 10
Reply 9
Then if they do that I would enforce more corporation tax on companies who do that, and if they go to a tax haven i would shut them down in the UK so they can not sell to British people, We need to get heavier on MNC's Jaguar land Rover in the West Midlands do apprenticeships and graduate level jobs which trains employees towards a qualification improving the quality of the British workforce unrestrained immigration caused the problem in the first instance because companies could withdraw funds for training and import another worker, By the way I am not a communist I am not I do not like importing people our population is far too high if we import one we need to export 10

Large companies will simply leave the UK or shrink their operations if governments get heavy with them. I don' t think many governments would survive if companies start shutting down making loads of people jobless.

Small companies will see their costs rocket and go out of business.
Original post by Maker
Large companies will simply leave the UK or shrink their operations if governments get heavy with them. I don' t think many governments would survive if companies start shutting down making loads of people jobless.

Small companies will see their costs rocket and go out of business.

We need to get a grip over them though force it through legislation otherwise there will be a race war and the holocaust will happen all over again if they keep importing workers enmasse, it is also cheaper for them to import workers as there wage demands are less. Just a disclaimer i agree with theory you put forward but disagree with importing workers unless you really need them
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
We need to get a grip over them though force it through legislation otherwise there will be a race war and the holocaust will happen all over again if they keep importing workers enmasse, it is also cheaper for them to import workers as there wage demands are less. Just a disclaimer i agree with theory you put forward but disagree with importing workers unless you really need them

You need to join the real world mate. Get heavy with companies and they walk and take their jobs with them. All governments spend a lot of time and money getting companies to invest in their country, just look at how much effort the government is putting in to get someone to buy the Port Talbot steel plant to save jobs.

You are putting forward measures that will put off any company that wants to start in Britain.
Original post by Maker
You need to join the real world mate. Get heavy with companies and they walk and take their jobs with them. All governments spend a lot of time and money getting companies to invest in their country, just look at how much effort the government is putting in to get someone to buy the Port Talbot steel plant to save jobs.

You are putting forward measures that will put off any company that wants to start in Britain.

So lets get you straight you agree with unrestrained immigration? You agree with not training our workforce and keep importing the workforce? I agree with what your saying about businesses and headhunting talent but do you agree it is time to make incentives to train a British workforce instead of just importing them forever? We can have both if we really need to we should allow our companies to but they will have to prove that the person will be a benefit to the country anyone with a decent degree and experience should sail through. Skilled workforces should be allowed but we should not open up for mass immigration which puts wages down.
Reply 13
So lets get you straight you agree with unrestrained immigration? You agree with not training our workforce and keep importing the workforce? I agree with what your saying about businesses and headhunting talent but do you agree it is time to make incentives to train a British workforce instead of just importing them forever? We can have both if we really need to we should allow our companies to but they will have to prove that the person will be a benefit to the country anyone with a decent degree and experience should sail through. Skilled workforces should be allowed but we should not open up for mass immigration which puts wages down.

Britain is a low skill, low productivity and low wage nation. Getting rid of cheap migrates won't increase wages or jobs for British workers because companies can move to another country, outsource jobs to people living in other countries, increase automation or simply shrink.

Companies know if they have to pay higher wages, they become uncompetitive and go out of business so they will do anything to avoid that.

Why make companies jump through hoops because they want to hire someone, again, companies can walk away if they feel the cost and aggravation of doing business in Britain is not worth it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Keep them out and get companies to up skill our workforces through training regimes its not hard, all they will need is some government incentives we can match any workforce in the world, the problem is the answer for too long has been import a worker, we need to make our workforces more skilled.

You talk as if we can flip a switch and the British workforce suddenly becomes highly-skilled and occupationally mobile. Almost all of these policies won't have an effect in the short-term which is why we need migrants to plug the gap.
Original post by Maker
Britain is a low skill, low productivity and low wage nation. Getting rid of cheap migrates won't increase wages or jobs for British workers because companies can move to another country, outsource jobs to people living in other countries, increase automation or simply shrink.

Companies know if they have to pay higher wages, they become uncompetitive and go out of business so they will do anything to avoid that.

In other words avoid a question. Even the head of the Remain campaign, the old M&S bloke said exiting Europe would increase wages less demand for jobs means that the less likely low wages will be accepted. Why should high skilled workers work for peanuts? Not all Brits are Bad talking about outsourcing i had to speak to Barclays the other day over the phone it was an Indian call center, thats a cost cutting exercise not improving services our skills If they are more skilled then English why didn't they understand complexed English words anything above ten characters and it was "Sorry, Sorry" I ended up asking him if he could speak English and if not to put me through to someone who could, I was put through to a Brit in Leicester who solved my query in two minutes where i was on hold for 45 minutes before that and was speaking to someone useless
Reply 16
In other words avoid a question. Even the head of the Remain campaign, the old M&S bloke said exiting Europe would increase wages less demand for jobs means that the less likely low wages will be accepted. Why should high skilled workers work for peanuts? Not all Brits are Bad talking about outsourcing i had to speak to Barclays the other day over the phone it was an Indian call center, thats a cost cutting exercise not improving services our skills If they are more skilled then English why didn't they understand complexed English words anything above ten characters and it was "Sorry, Sorry" I ended up asking him if he could speak English and if not to put me through to someone who could, I was put through to a Brit in Leicester who solved my query in two minutes where i was on hold for 45 minutes before that and was speaking to someone useless

You just proved I am right. Businesses will outsource work to foreign countries rather than pay higher wages or provide training.

You can't increase wages without increasing inflation or increasing productivity. It was low productivity, demand for higher wages and high inflation that made Britain join the EU in the first place.
Importing has made it too easy for companies we need our people to be put first

Wrong - our people need to put themselves first. When you look at the long term unemployed, there is a reason they are unemployable. It isn't that foreign workers will work for less. It is simply that UK workers don't have a work ethic, go on leave with no notice and generally don't give a sh1t. And as for our workers first - unemployment is at an all time low - just exactly what does UK workers first mean?

If you are a company and just won a series of contracts that need fulfilling now, you can't wait 3 years to train a bunch of people up. You need them now. That is how the labour market works. All these immigrant workers coming into the country are working. They are working for companies hired by UK managers. They pay UK taxes. If you cut off that supply of labour, you cut of the blood that has formed much of the economic growth and prosperity this country has enjoyed over the last two decades.

I am not saying that immigration doesn't bring problems. Just that stopping it dead over night is not in anyone's interests.
Original post by ByEeek
Wrong - our people need to put themselves first. When you look at the long term unemployed, there is a reason they are unemployable. It isn't that foreign workers will work for less. It is simply that UK workers don't have a work ethic, go on leave with no notice and generally don't give a sh1t. And as for our workers first - unemployment is at an all time low - just exactly what does UK workers first mean?

If you are a company and just won a series of contracts that need fulfilling now, you can't wait 3 years to train a bunch of people up. You need them now. That is how the labour market works. All these immigrant workers coming into the country are working. They are working for companies hired by UK managers. They pay UK taxes. If you cut off that supply of labour, you cut of the blood that has formed much of the economic growth and prosperity this country has enjoyed over the last two decades.

I am not saying that immigration doesn't bring problems. Just that stopping it dead over night is not in anyone's interests.

it wpuld be in mine my dad owns a factory and I do a bit of work behind the scenes we do not hire anyone who isnt white english now, we have had useless polish people, we want to get rid of asians so why give them jobs or funding. I actually have an a level in business studies but my racist views prevail, I know some of them can benefit us as a country but when I'm on the panel at the factory I justify not hiring black or brown even if they are better then the white candidate. I understand what you and maker are saying but it would pain me to put an immigrant on our payroll when I dont want them in England
it wpuld be in mine my dad owns a factory and I do a bit of work behind the scenes we do not hire anyone who isnt white english now, we have had useless polish people, we want to get rid of asians so why give them jobs or funding. I actually have an a level in business studies but my racist views prevail, I know some of them can benefit us as a country but when I'm on the panel at the factory I justify not hiring black or brown even if they are better then the white candidate. I understand what you and maker are saying but it would pain me to put an immigrant on our payroll when I dont want them in England

I have no idea if your are trolling or not, but that post just makes me very very sad and isn't worthy of a response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending