The Student Room Group

A levels without GCSE?

Can you do A-levels without doing gcse or O-levels? I have a friend who wants to sit for A-levels with me but he hasn't done year 11. We did grade 8 (Indian school) together and then he dropped out. We're sitting as private candidates. Is it possible for him to sit with me? Is that not a good decision? He's only going to apply for university after he gets his A-level results. Will the universities still need his GCSEs? Absolutely anything on this topic would be helpful!Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Jayce.x
Can you do A-levels without doing gcse or O-levels? I have a friend who wants to sit for A-levels with me but he hasn't done year 11. We did grade 8 (Indian school) together and then he dropped out. We're sitting as private candidates. Is it possible for him to sit with me? Is that not a good decision? He's only going to apply for university after he gets his A-level results. Will the universities still need his GCSEs? Absolutely anything on this topic would be helpful!Thanks!
the best people to ask are the unis and exam centres themselves. Different places have different policies.
Reply 2
Original post by Aph
the best people to ask are the unis and exam centres themselves. Different places have different policies.

Thank you!
Yeah I got a question too. Can I do A levels with a grade A in English GCSE, but below C in maths GCSE? If you want to hear the A levels I'm planning to take, please ask, thank you!
Original post by DauntlessOne
Yeah I got a question too. Can I do A levels with a grade A in English GCSE, but below C in maths GCSE? If you want to hear the A levels I'm planning to take, please ask, thank you!

Best to ask your prospective college/sixth form, I know at mine people who didn't get a C or better in English and/or Maths had to retake them alongside their AS levels, so potentially you'll still be alright to get in :smile:

Edit: What subjects are you planning on taking? Anything involving maths would probably be a no from the college
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by somevirtualguy
Best to ask your prospective college/sixth form, I know at mine people who didn't get a C or better in English and/or Maths had to retake them alongside their AS levels, so potentially you'll still be alright to get in :smile:

Edit: What subjects are you planning on taking? Anything involving maths would probably be a no from the college

I am planning to take History, government & politics and mathematics. So the maths GCSE situation might be problematic. Could I offer to pay to take Mathematics if they will, as you said, likely say no? Another question is, can I skip AS, directly on to A levels to save time? And lastly, do A levels take 2 years for the subjects I have mentioned? As time is a real issue for me. If 2 years be the case I can always just do AS, but due to the presence of A levels, I am concerned just having AS looks lower valued. Thank you in advance.
Reply 6
you can do anything if you put your mind to it lads !
Original post by DauntlessOne
I am planning to take History, government & politics and mathematics. So the maths GCSE situation might be problematic. Could I offer to pay to take Mathematics if they will, as you said, likely say no? Another question is, can I skip AS, directly on to A levels to save time? And lastly, do A levels take 2 years for the subjects I have mentioned? As time is a real issue for me. If 2 years be the case I can always just do AS, but due to the presence of A levels, I am concerned just having AS looks lower valued. Thank you in advance.

Every A level takes 2 years to complete and yes you don't have to do AS, you can go straight into A level. AS is not looked down on, it can be your 4th subject that you don't intent to do an A level which Unis like Oxbridge love as long as you come out with the a very high grade in every subject.

About a grade lower than C in maths, yes you can still do A levels without a C in maths but not ones like mathematics like you mentioned. That usually requires at least a B grade but depends on the college. Most colleges will allow you to do any other non mathematic A levels alongside retaking your Maths GCSE to gain that C or higher grade.
Original post by katherine9609
Every A level takes 2 years to complete and yes you don't have to do AS, you can go straight into A level. AS is not looked down on, it can be your 4th subject that you don't intent to do an A level which Unis like Oxbridge love as long as you come out with the a very high grade in every subject.

About a grade lower than C in maths, yes you can still do A levels without a C in maths but not ones like mathematics like you mentioned. That usually requires at least a B grade but depends on the college. Most colleges will allow you to do any other non mathematic A levels alongside retaking your Maths GCSE to gain that C or higher grade.

Well that's me ****ed then. So much for trying to better myself in this class oriented society we live in, that revolves around endless bureaucracy. Thank you anyway Katherine.
If you are sitting as private candidates then it wouldn't mind if u don't have grade a-c in English etc

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

Quick Reply

Latest