The Student Room Group

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
I don't really know what to say. It's so depressing. Labour need to sort themselves out quick or who knows how much further fees could rise.

Plenty of people 'moaned' (read: campaigned against) about the abolition of university grants and the increased maintenance loan, actually.

Yup. David Willetts spent months parading around TV studios insisting that most universities would only charge £6,000; he believed that increased tuition fees would create a market in higher education. His plan failed spectacularly and there's no reason to suppose the same won't happen again.

No I meant when students get more than enough in their maintenance loan, so much so that they go swanning off around Latin America during summer, and they are meant to be "poor". Does that sound like a good use of taxpayers money to you? Do you hear their protests at the amount they are getting?? Instead it's "oh no we should be given free money were going to be in more debt now boohoo"
Reply 61
Original post by tanyapotter
There goes my gap year plan. Meh, people vehemently advised me against it anyway.

Original post by Snufkin
I don't think you should put off your gap year just because fees will increase by a couple of hundred pounds. The real fee increase will likely be for students starting their degrees in 2 or 3 years.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
You won't get a figure for 2017 yet. Out in data for 2016 start to give you an idea.

If you can't get a figure you are doing something wrong...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok
it just says
£6,750

when i did it in 2015 and the 2016 one it only gives me the student loan for tuition fees -.-'
Original post by neal95
No I meant when students get more than enough in their maintenance loan, so much so that they go swanning off around Latin America during summer, and they are meant to be "poor". Does that sound like a good use of taxpayers money to you? Do you hear their protests at the amount they are getting?? Instead it's "oh no we should be given free money were going to be in more debt now boohoo"

The full maintenance loan isn't enough if you want to study in London. Perhaps students in other places have a little money left over, but I'm sure it is not enough to fund a holiday to South America. :rolleyes:
well forgot going to uni
Reply 65
Original post by timebent
ok
it just says
£6,750

when i did it in 2015 and the 2016 one it only gives me the student loan for tuition fees -.-'

That will be the maintenance loan. You get the tution fee loan on top of that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stevey396
Agreed. It's outrageous how these selfish students are spending the taxpayers money on drinking, partying and holidaying and then have the audacity, the unmitigated gall, to claim that they're poor. It's all take, take, take with students, and they give back nothing but a horrific attitude. Chuck them out on the streets where they belong.

Yeah it's not like they become taxpayers themselves! Especially when they come out with great degrees and getting graduate jobs and having to pay up to 40% tax! While they still are paying off their loan. How can they have the audacity to claim they're poor when they live on toast and cereal while you're enjoying your lovely roast dinner complaining about students that have no effect on you!
Original post by Snufkin
The full maintenance loan isn't enough if you want to study in London. Perhaps students in other places have a little money left over, but I'm sure it is not enough to fund a holiday to South America. :rolleyes:

If your household income is the UK average you'd get £10,439 if you study in London, that's definitely enough as long as you're not frivolous. I know plenty of people (myself included) who have more than 'a little money' leftover, what I had leftover could have definitely funded a trip to South America

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
If your household income is the UK average you'd get £10,439 if you study in London, that's definitely enough as long as you're not frivolous. I know plenty of people (myself included) who have more than 'a little money' leftover, what I had leftover could have definitely funded a trip to South America

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it isn't enough. Accommodation costs £229 a week, 39 weeks = £8931. That leaves you just over £1500 for food, travel, clothes, toiletries, other living costs, paper, pens, printing costs etc for a whole year. Not possible.
Original post by rxns_00
Yeah it's not like they become taxpayers themselves! Especially when they come out with great degrees and getting graduate jobs and having to pay up to 40% tax! While they still are paying off their loan. How can they have the audacity to claim they're poor when they live on toast and cereal while you're enjoying your lovely roast dinner complaining about students that have no effect on you!

"great degrees" - yeah, a 2:2 from Roehampton is a great degree. And 58.8% of graduates are in non-grad roles (1), with a lot of them earning no more than minimum wage. Complete waste of tax payer's money to fund their degrees. If they want to go to uni it should be entirely out of their own pocket.

I pay my tax, I have a job. I have the right to complain about these whiny scroungers who have never worked a day in their lives.

(1): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33983048
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
No it isn't enough. Accommodation costs £229 a week, 39 weeks = £8931. That leaves you just over £1500 for food, travel, clothes, toiletries, other living costs, paper, pens, printing costs etc for a whole year. Not possible.

The solution is extremely simple - work for a few years to save up for uni. Unfortunately, mindless, lazy students either don't notice the solution or can't be bothered to work before uni.

We give students money for nothing - how DARE they complain about it.
Original post by neal95
It's fine. I don't mind them putting up tuition fees. Why is it students only moan when tuition fees go up yet when they get a load in maintenance loan they don't even need you never hear them moaning? The arrogance

Because the maintenance loan is a loan and tuition fees are fees? Not unreasonable.

This is disgusting. The generations that had low house prices and inflation, low unemployment, the NHS at its peak, free university and the world handed to them on a silver platter insist in taking all of that away from us to serve themselves.

The ludicrous thing is that this is terrible for the whole country. We're severely lacking in graduates and will be even more so if restrictions are placed on EU immigration. Everyone ends up worse off here in the long run.
The solution is extremely simple - work for a few years to save up for uni. Unfortunately, mindless, lazy students either don't notice the solution or can't be bothered to work before uni.

We give students money for nothing - how DARE they complain about it.

You're right, those disgusting peasants!! They should be building shrines to you just for giving them the opportunity to try to better themselves!! If I had my way they'd be put in the slums and never let out!!!
Original post by JordanL_
Because the maintenance loan is a loan and tuition fees are fees? Not unreasonable.

This is disgusting. The generations that had low house prices and inflation, low unemployment, the NHS at its peak, free university and the world handed to them on a silver platter insist in taking all of that away from us to serve themselves.

The ludicrous thing is that this is terrible for the whole country. We're severely lacking in graduates and will be even more so if restrictions are placed on EU immigration. Everyone ends up worse off here in the long run.

Respect your elders and betters. The entitlement of millennials is appalling.

The elders that grew up with free higher education?

Dont be cheeky and point out inconvenient facts to him.
Original post by timebent
Ah but can i save some of that 9k for me? maybe like 1k or something? just to set it aside for a rainy day or something? or does everything i earn(besides money to keep me alive i.e water food utility stuff) have to go to my loan?

SFE pays the tuition fees directly to the university so the tuition fee never crosses your bank account. Is that what you meant? You might be able to save the maintenance loan if the area you live in is cheap enough but don't bank on it
Reply 77

^This.

And it's millennials that will be paying the pensions and NHS costs of the aging baby-boomers. I think you need to check your privilege.

(NB. I'm not a millennial)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin

Where have you plucked that figure from? You can live at halls called Bethnal Student Living and Helen Graham House for £120 a week. That gives you more than half of your loan to spend on other things. Most people don't need to buy clothes throughout the year, they choose to. Food can be done relatively cheaply if you're smart with what you buy. Pens? Really?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Its disgraceful. You only get 4 months of teaching each year, if that.

Swanky new buildings and unnecessarily flash accommodation.

Problem is, if like someone I know, they were struggling with ill health but managed to do two years. Too ill to complete the third year but will have a 30k debt for nothing. SFE don't take anything into consideration if you finish the year even if you were struggling and unwell.

These type of debts should be written off IMHO.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending