The Student Room Group

Where do I say I'm doing STEP 1?

I know i dont actually NEED to do STEP 1 to do engineering, but I've been told it will never not help an application. I just have no idea if or where I should say I'm doing it. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by an_atheist
I know i dont actually NEED to do STEP 1 to do engineering, but I've been told it will never not help an application. I just have no idea if or where I should say I'm doing it. Any advice?

What's STEP? If it's relevant to engineering then you can add it in to your PS. If it's not relevant then there is little point in including it.
Original post by Smack
What's STEP? If it's relevant to engineering then you can add it in to your PS. If it's not relevant then there is little point in including it.

I think it's a maths module that Cambridge require you to take to get in for Math based subjects. I'm doing it for fun though :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Smack

Step is a maths admissions assessment, as I understand it. Not really sure how relevant it is.
I've been told it is useful to have, so i wasnt sure.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
I think it's a maths module that Cambridge require you to take to get in for Math based subjects. I'm doing it for fun though :smile:

Step is a maths admissions assessment, as I understand it. Not really sure how relevant it is.
I've been told it is useful to have, so i wasnt sure.

If there's a space for it on UCAS then you could add it there, although I'd imagine you've already thought of that.

Otherwise, I would put it in your PS. A line or two about it won't do any harm I don't think.

Although, make sure that the effort required for STEP won't impede on your grades for your other subjects if a certain grade on STEP isn't stipulated as part of your offer.
Reply 5
Original post by Smack
If there's a space for it on UCAS then you could add it there, although I'd imagine you've already thought of that.

Otherwise, I would put it in your PS. A line or two about it won't do any harm I don't think.

Although, make sure that the effort required for STEP won't impede on your grades for your other subjects if a certain grade on STEP isn't stipulated as part of your offer.

OK, thanks for the help. Im fairly certain STEP wont impinge on my study time for other subjects, Maths is my best subject by a country mile
Original post by Smack

I think that I will only do one STEP exam, because it is 3 hours long and similar to undergraduate level maths... May be quite tricky for a lower sixth student.:biggrin:
Reply 7
I think you can find room on UCAS.
Reply 8
I hope you STEP up to the plate and perform well
Reply 9

Doing STEP wouldn't really make any difference, and most unis ignore it completely.

When I filled mine in, it was at the bottom under other qualification (it won't show up as STEP but rather as Sixth Term Examination Paper).
Original post by kkboyk
Doing STEP wouldn't really make any difference, and most unis ignore it completely.

When I filled mine in, it was at the bottom under other qualification (it won't show up as STEP but rather as Sixth Term Examination Paper).

Its just what I've been told. Would you say that I should not bother then?
Reply 11
Its just what I've been told. Would you say that I should not bother then?

There's no point doing it for Engineering unless you are considering Cambridge. And even then it won't benefit your application unless you apply to a college that requires it (i.e. Christ's or, usually, Peterhouse). And if you are applying to Christ's it would form part of your Offer so you don't need to "volunteer" for it in advance.

There's also no point sitting it early (to get "brownie points") unless you have completed at least C1-C4 in your A-level maths.

Do not underestimate the difficulty, and preparation needed to succeed, in STEP.
Original post by jneill
There's no point doing it for Engineering unless you are considering Cambridge. And even then it won't benefit your application unless you apply to a college that requires it (i.e. Christ's or, usually, Peterhouse). And if you are applying to Christ's it would form part of your Offer so you don't need to "volunteer" for it in advance.

There's also no point sitting it early (to get "brownie points":wink: unless you have completed at least C1-C4 in your A-level maths.

Do not underestimate the difficulty, and preparation needed to succeed, in STEP.

Ok, this clear it up fairly well for me. Correct me if I'm wrong but I shouldnt do STEP unless I need to, thats essentially what yo're saying?
Reply 13
Ok, this clear it up fairly well for me. Correct me if I'm wrong but I shouldnt do STEP unless I need to, thats essentially what yo're saying?

Correct.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You must be super clever to do step ! I'm amazed
Reply 15
Original post by fefssdf
You must be super clever to do step ! I'm amazed

You can do it too since you've already done A level Maths :tongue:
Original post by kkboyk
You can do it too since you've already done A level Maths :tongue:

Yes but I'm not good at it. I couldn't even handle M1, and I hate physics and hate stats

If you want to tackle some past paper questions to stretch yourself, you can find them here. There is no point in taking the actual exam unless it forms part of your university offer as it is expensive and is not a recognised qualification.
Reply 18

Just for your interest, Cambridge have just put up some introductory material. Have a look
http://maths.org/step/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by fefssdf
Yes but I'm not good at it. I couldn't even handle M1, and I hate physics and hate stats

You just need to know C1-4. If you read the Siklos booklet it should guide you how to answer some STEP questions . :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending