The Student Room Group

The thigh gap, do you find it attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theDanIdentity
iin my opinion, it's all down to personal preference.

yes, most/some men prefer thigh gaps on women; but at the same time, lets not forget that most women have ridiculous standards that men must rise to; e..g physically fit beyond david beckhams' standards; taller than beckham; richer than beckham; smarter than beckham; well dressed more than beckham; actually.. just be better than beckham. this in turn creates negative backlash on men as well (although, you woulnd't hear of it because men are taught to internalise this and no matter all social attempts otherwise, they would still do so. e.g. look at the reggie yates programm on the BBC3 - the one that showcases the fact that some men actually risk their lives and go through surgery in order to live).

so yeah. it is ******** to ascertain that it's only females that have these standards. men do as well; just take a look at all the male adverts that advertise any body that isn't sculpted by living in the gym for 3 years is worthless (ironically, women complain if men do so when they're dating them. talk about hypocrisy).

regardless, i don't care about the plights of these girls (however i do care about the guys, because unlike women, guys DONT have makeup/whatever to fix the way they look. their only selling point physically is the gym. that's it. women on the other hand have: waist trainers, foundation, eyeliner, lipstick, liposuction, butt lift, nose jobs, lip jobs; e.t.c. added to the pressures that is subcounciously taught on a daily basis, that without those things they are worthless; i actually pity most guys and what they have to go through before they find 'the one'.) . i couldn't possibly care less. call me heartless.. i don't care. no one told them to be that stupid/daft to follow an unhealthy practice. men have preferences, women have preferences. the only way to go through life is to make the best of what YOU have.. not to go out risking your life to impress dave and jonny because that's what they like. so what happens when those guys decide to live your unhealthy ass because they change their minds? who is to blame if that practise results in their deaths? the guys? or those stupid infants because they let instagram and the like taint their minds?

You have no idea what you're talking about. Eating disorders are far more complex than that, and I say this as an EDNOS sufferer. It's not about impressing men at all. The bile you have spouted here is absolutely vile. :rolleyes:
all the girls out there who are deemed beautiful and gorgeous do not have thigh gaps. but they do have healthy strong thighs. tbh i dont know whats so special about thigh gaps etc. men dont have thigh gaps! (well not all of them abyway) who the heck specified thigh gaps for women beauty only? i didnt sign up to live in a society where women must have thigh gaps and flat stomachs and where guys have to be ripped and muscular
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I think the difference is obvious when someone begins to consider starvation/purging food as a "diet" to reach a goal weight.

I became interested in the "pro-ana"/ "pro-mia" community a while back to find out what it was all about (during exam period when I felt the need to procrastinate and had banned myself from youtube etc XD) and what I saw on some Tumblr pages and some websites would probably make actual anorexic/bulimic sufferers furious. People aspire towards being ill, it's quite distressing.

I really do believe it's a debilitating mental illness (like any other mental illness) and there are some girls in the world who wear is proudly like a badge. It's sad.

I'll concede that I'm not particularly informed on this topic, but from my non-medical perspective I see it as individuals who are severely prone to subjective value they receive from others and see unhealthy ways (here, weight or an arbitrary body image) to "fit in". In my humble opinion I would argue that omnipresent social media and photoshop used for magazine covers, amongst other things in the digital age, has greatly impacted these individuals, and that the amount of cases would be far fewer without these.
Original post by drowzee
You have no idea what you're talking about. Eating disorders are far more complex than that, and I say this as an EDNOS sufferer. It's not about impressing men at all. The bile you have spouted here is absolutely vile. :rolleyes:

1) loool. until you can speak for the entire female population (and equally the reason for starving themselves to death; INCLUDING 12 year old girls who idolise this disgusting 'fad'), i suggest you take your opinion and shove it where the sun don't shine, sunshine.

2) i am actually quite conversant with this topic, as i've been studying and aware of this for about 5 years plus now.

3) 'eating disorders'? who ever mentioned that? tell me where on earth you saw that ****. exactly.. nowhere. i never mentioned that. i only mentioned (if you actually bothered to read) and implied those who follow that 'fad' in order to impress the other sex.

4) > implies i've spouted bile, but equally returns with statements below merit
Nope. The thicker the thighs the better.
Reply 85
I guess they're okay, I'll never have one though lol
Original post by -Miracle
I'll concede that I'm not particularly informed on this topic, but from my non-medical perspective I see it as individuals who are severely prone to subjective value they receive from others and see unhealthy ways (here, weight or an arbitrary body image) to "fit in". In my humble opinion I would argue that omnipresent social media and photoshop used for magazine covers, amongst other things in the digital age, has greatly impacted these individuals, and that the amount of cases would be far fewer without these.

I think that is true to an extent, but I think a lot of people hold on to this odd notion that media=eating disorders which isn't true at all, throughout history (before photoshop/ magazine covers) people have suffered with eating disorders, it's only in recent history they have been named.

Also I think there are lots of reasons why, not always down to vanity or others perceptions of themselves, sometimes they are combined with other mental illness like depression or PTSD etc.

Spoiler

Original post by theDanIdentity
the only way to go through life is to make the best of what YOU have.. not to go out risking your life to impress dave and jonny because that's what they like. so what happens when those guys decide to live your unhealthy ass because they change their minds? who is to blame if that practise results in their deaths? the guys? or those stupid infants because they let instagram and the like taint their minds?

Agree. What a sad society we live in
Hahahaha, I have a phobia of too many gaps D:
Original post by Marshall Taylor
What's a thigh gap? Sorry, I live on TSR so...

This a thigh gap
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I think that is true to an extent, but I think a lot of people hold on to this odd notion that media=eating disorders which isn't true at all, throughout history (before photoshop/ magazine covers) people have suffered with eating disorders, it's only in recent history they have been named.

Also I think there are lots of reasons why, not always down to vanity or others perceptions of themselves, sometimes they are combined with other mental illness like depression or PTSD etc.

Spoiler

Fair enough :smile: there is still much more research to be done on disorders, regardless

For A-level I presume? I'm glad that English Lit ended after GSCEs haha :P I enjoy reading and analysing philosophical texts but not in rushed context such as an exam
The best is when curvy girls naturally have one.

Personally I don't like the really skinny girls with one.
Original post by PrincessBO$$

This a thigh gap

Uh... What am I looking at here?

This a thigh gap

This picture makes me sad. :frown:
Uh... What am I looking at here?

Well its a girl who alreaduyhas a thigh gap, but its clear she has insecurities and is probs gonna have a surgery to make it bigger. Err i found this on tumblr
Original post by Anonymous
This picture makes me sad. :frown:

I know. :frown:
Well its a girl who alreaduyhas a thigh gap, but its clear she has insecurities and is probs gonna have a surgery to make it bigger. Err i found this on tumblr

Ooh, a gap in-between her thighs? What's the big deal here? ...
Ooh, a gap in-between her thighs? What's the big deal here? ...

Some weirdos like it :colone:
@34908seikj 18seikj

sorry man for the tag
Some weirdos like it :colone:
@34908seikj 18seikj

sorry man for the tag

:frown:
Original post by 34908seikj
:frown:

:redface:

Quick Reply