The Student Room Group

Is this person serious??

So this person I am speaking to is very nice and pleasant and I find their personality alluring etc etc. However I have never actually met this person and every time I try to establish a meet, an excuse is made/always comes up before I can get down........this person suffers from a myriad of problems including low self esteem/depression or whatever.......do you think there is any chance I will actually meet this person? Do you suffer from similar self esteem issues and if so does this affect you meeting new people? Hopefully someone experiencing similar can give me an insight into these issues thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
give it time g thats all i can say
Original post by zanner
give it time g thats all i can say

How much??
Original post by neal95
So this person I am speaking to is very nice and pleasant and I find their personality alluring etc etc. However I have never actually met this person and every time I try to establish a meet, an excuse is made/always comes up before I can get down........this person suffers from a myriad of problems including low self esteem/depression or whatever.......do you think there is any chance I will actually meet this person? Do you suffer from similar self esteem issues and if so does this affect you meeting new people? Hopefully someone experiencing similar can give me an insight into these issues thanks

Whats their gender?
Original post by Raizelcadres
Whats their gender?

Female
Original post by neal95
Female

They might be insecure about themselves and are afraid that when you meet them in person you won't like them and won't speak to them.
They might be insecure about themselves and are afraid that when you meet them in person you won't like them and won't speak to them.

Isn't that like an irrational fear? Surely they should be worried that not meeting would mean it more likely to find someone else due to the time gap/frustration of feeling like you've tried but had stuff thrown in your face
Try skyping first
Original post by neal95
Isn't that like an irrational fear? Surely they should be worried that not meeting would mean it more likely to find someone else due to the time gap/frustration of feeling like you've tried but had stuff thrown in your face

If she does have this fear than its not as easy. It's quite hard to muster up courage to talk to someone you haven't spoken to in person. I know this because I have went through something similar
If she does have this fear than its not as easy. It's quite hard to muster up courage to talk to someone you haven't spoken to in person. I know this because I have went through something similar

How did you get over it and what is your advice?
Original post by neal95
How did you get over it and what is your advice?

Hmm try giving her a few more days, in those few days try face timing or skyping her or snapchat to get her more comfortable. When you get signs of her not being so nervous interacting with you over those (skype, facetime and snapchat etc), ask her to meet you in person to just hang out. Btw do you like her and do you think she likes you?
Hmm try giving her a few more days, in those few days try face timing or skyping her or snapchat to get her more comfortable. When you get signs of her not being so nervous interacting with you over those (skype, facetime and snapchat etc), ask her to meet you in person to just hang out. Btw do you like her and do you think she likes you?

this person dosent use facebook and is very secretive, they don't trust me with their WhatsApp which is fair enough I guess or number etc so I really doubt they will allow me to skype with them :/. yeah I like her from what I have seen but obviously need to meet to see it as people can be different online and yes I think so
Hey , I understand and I had a friend who went through a similar phase and he just needed time and it's because he was nervous if being out to meet a girl because he was scared because the girl was from online and of how the girl was going to like the person to what they were in reality to over the phone ., so I understand what you must be feeling , but I would say give it a few days try and be open as possible and just make her comfortable, it's the best way, this may make her open up to you and trust you enough to Skype you or give her, her number to you :wink:
Original post by Ria25
Hey , I understand and I had a friend who went through a similar phase and he just needed time and it's because he was nervous if being out to meet a girl because he was scared because the girl was from online and of how the girl was going to like the person to what they were in reality to over the phone ., so I understand what you must be feeling , but I would say give it a few days try and be open as possible and just make her comfortable, it's the best way, this may make her open up to you and trust you enough to Skype you or give her, her number to you :wink:

haha we have been chatting for like 5 weeks and seem to be at this impasse :/
Original post by neal95
this person dosent use facebook and is very secretive, they don't trust me with their WhatsApp which is fair enough I guess or number etc so I really doubt they will allow me to skype with them :/. yeah I like her from what I have seen but obviously need to meet to see it as people can be different online and yes I think so

Skyping is calm though as you can just talk - don't need to see their face. And when your comfortable maybe later do video calling? Honestly, skype with her. You don't even need there number for that other than their skype id.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Skyping is calm though as you can just talk - don't need to see their face. And when your comfortable maybe later do video calling? Honestly, skype with her. You don't even need there number for that other than their skype id.

I will suggest that I think when I next speak but not gonna get my hopes up tbh
Original post by neal95
I will suggest that I think when I next speak but not gonna get my hopes up tbh

Do you know if they have Skype?
Original post by neal95
haha we have been chatting for like 5 weeks and seem to be at this impasse :/

I see , well every girl is different she may just need more time , and you see when somebody breaks your trust or you have past trust issues it's hard to be able to build a bond with someone new , it takes time . As before I was so gullable I used to be open and trust everyone , not that I would share high confidential information , but most and then i realised and got back-stabbed so I know how it feels . And now when I meet anyone new it's hard for me to trust them , it just takes more longer to actually have a connection or bond with them , without thinking that they may break my trust . :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Do you know if they have Skype?

nope, they are quite sheltered/innocent though so I doubt it
Original post by Ria25
I see , well every girl is different she may just need more time , and you see when somebody breaks your trust or you have past trust issues it's hard to be able to build a bond with someone new , it takes time . As before I was so gullable I used to be open and trust everyone , not that I would share high confidential information , but most and then i realised and got back-stabbed so I know how it feels . And now when we I meet anyone it's hard for me to trust them , it just takes more longer to actually have a connection or bond with them , without thinking that they may break my trust . :smile:

so do you recommend me to keep perservering or not bother? shall I wait for her to chat to me or message her first?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending