The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 0to100
Does anyone see this is the "advice" column?

Advice on everyday issues. Not all of us here snort bleach everyday.
Original post by hezzlington
Advice on everyday issues. Not all of us here snort bleach everyday.

No one snorted bleach. It's about house cleaning, does no one here clean with strong chemicals?
Again someone posts to take the piss, and I'm the bad guy here :nah:
Nobody noes
Original post by 0to100
No one snorted bleach. It's about house cleaning, does no one here clean with strong chemicals?

Pretty crazy the fumes hit you that hard to the point where you've lost your sense of smell. Doesn't sound particularly common. Get yourself down to the GP if it's still the case in the morning. Not a lot of advice anybody can give you, what remedies do you think exist for returning a lost sense of smell.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Pretty crazy the fumes hit you that hard to the point where you've lost your sense of smell. Doesn't sound particularly common. Get yourself down to the GP if it's still the case in the morning. Not a lot of advice anybody can give you, what remedies do you think exist for returning a lose sense of smell.

Well said. I'm not too sure how many registered users here are GP's :lol:
Original post by eden3

There are actually quite a few, but it's 1am so I doubt there'd be much response from them. Besides, they don't tend to delve out of the medicine/uni forums all that much.
Reply 26
There are actually quite a few, but it's 1am so I doubt there'd be much response from them. Besides, they don't tend to delve out of the medicine/uni forums all that much.

True.
Original post by Anonymous
Nobody noes

Someone does, just not the bored fools posting now

Pretty crazy the fumes hit you that hard to the point where you've lost your sense of smell. Doesn't sound particularly common. Get yourself down to the GP if it's still the case in the morning. Not a lot of advice anybody can give you, what remedies do you think exist for returning a lost sense of smell.

Original post by eden3

You two might wanna try cleaning with bleach some time. Or cleaning at all.

Have you never seen people wearing face masks while cleaning? Wonder why? Bleach is as strong as ammonia you geniuses. I poured water in the solution to dilute it trying to avoid this.

You don't have to be a registered anything, if you're not sure simply don't post. TSR and the internet are vast sources for knowledgeable or experienced people.

Also keep in mind the question I was asking: how long it lasts for. Don't need a GP for that just someone who's been exposed to rough chem.

Original post by eden3
True.

Anyone can see the thread just like you two darlings did. And who cares what time it is? Anyone on the internet can see it at any time zone. "Besides," it took me a while to notice I couldn't even taste.

You two are so thirsty to look tougher than a random dude on the net that you're posting nonsense? Use your brains, strong cleaning chemicals can cause damage.
Original post by 0to100
Someone does, just not the bored fools posting now

You two might wanna try cleaning with bleach some time. Or cleaning at all.

Have you never seen people wearing face masks while cleaning? Wonder why? Bleach is as strong as ammonia you geniuses. I poured water in the solution to dilute it trying to avoid this.

You don't have to be a registered anything, if you're not sure simply don't post. TSR and the internet are vast sources for knowledgeable or experienced people.

Also keep in mind the question I was asking: how long it lasts for. Don't need a GP for that just someone who's been exposed to rough chem.

How on Earth will diluted bleach through the use of a face mask cause a total loss of smell? The bleach could of burned the inside of your nose and you're not interested in seeing a GP, instead you'd rather get a quantitative figure (which, by the way, nobody will be able to give you at nearly 1:30am) from a total stranger on TSR. And you question our genius?
Bleach, or sodium hypochlorite, is an alkaline chemical compound, and as such it is a strong oxidizer. That means that it can burn you like acid can. However, the concentration of bleach found in clorox is too small to do much permanent damage; it's not as if you breathed lab grade sodium hypochlorite! What is very likely is that you have a mild chemical burn to the mucous membranes in your nose, and they're merely irritated. It should go away soon, but if it doesn't I would go see a doctor. You'll likely be alright in a few days and I doubt your sense of smell is damaged, but if you're worried, see a doctor.
How on Earth will diluted bleach through the use of a face mask cause a total loss of smell? The bleach could of burned the inside of your nose and you're not interested in seeing a GP, instead you'd rather get a quantitative figure (which, by the way, nobody will be able to give you at nearly 1:30am) from a total stranger on TSR. And you question our genius?

Anyway it's not "total loss" of anything, it's obviously temporary and you keep asking this shows how little chemistry education you have and no real world experience. Pause and google and see it happens.

Ah so you know it could be burnt!? And you're sat around posting like you've never heard of this before! :rolleyes: It's a thread forum! You post to get answers! You don't know, why're you posting?! To have a go at me on the computer like a bad man, for asking a question?

Anyway nothing's burnt, I'm not bleeding am I? It's called irritated nerves. The body heals itself. I called my mum who did house cleaning and she says it'll go away. It happens. Get out more. And it's really not that deep for you to be tryna cyber-attack me.

I asked a question, you don't know the answer, get lost.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Bleach, or sodium hypochlorite, is an alkaline chemical compound, and as such it is a strong oxidizer. That means that it can burn you like acid can. However, the concentration of bleach found in clorox is too small to do much permanent damage; it's not as if you breathed lab grade sodium hypochlorite! What is very likely is that you have a mild chemical burn to the mucous membranes in your nose, and they're merely irritated. It should go away soon, but if it doesn't I would go see a doctor. You'll likely be alright in a few days and I doubt your sense of smell is damaged, but if you're worried, see a doctor.

Thank you for doing something simple like answering on topic. I weren't worried at all, I know it happens, just never knew how long for. :biggrin:
Original post by 0to100
Thank you for doing something simple like answering on topic. I weren't worried at all, I know it happens, just never knew how long for. :biggrin:

You're welcome, hope you feel better soon!
Original post by 0to100
yet here you are...

An ambulance for my nose? I know what to do in case of an emergency, it's hardly an emergency. Just wanna know how long it'll go on for. Obviously this was directed to anyone who has experienced it before, so they could say "yea I had it, it lasts x amount of hours, days..."

you don't have to post if you're not sure yano

Inhaling fumes from bleach is no joke. Just saying, if you start to notice other symptoms, might be a good idea to contact the medical services. ****ing hell... have you been on drugs or something? Been a right temperamental miserable **** over the past week, you...
Original post by sameehaiqbal
You're welcome, hope you feel better soon!

I hope so, I read something to put cold water in my nose and blow it out as well but it was on yahooanswers so i wasn't sure lol my mum said get fresh air, drink water, it's happened to her doing cleaning a lot and she says she nearly killed herself, exaggerating though lol

anyway cheers lass :biggrin:
Original post by 0to100
Anyway it's not "total loss" of anything, it's obviously temporary and you keep asking this shows how little chemistry education you have
Next to no chemistry education.

Original post by 0to100

and no real world experience. Pause and google and see it happens.

I've used bleach many, many times and never had this problem. If you googled it you should of got your answer there?

Original post by 0to100

Ah so you know it could be burnt!? And you're sat around posting like you've never heard of this before! :rolleyes: It's a thread forum! You post to get answers! You don't know, why're you posting?! To have a go at me on the computer like a bad man, for asking a question?

I'm not having a go at you darling.

Original post by 0to100

Anyway nothing's burnt, I'm not bleeding am I? It's called irritated nerves. The body heals itself

I've never bled from being burnt, chemically or from fire. :dontknow:

Original post by 0to100

I called my mum who did house cleaning and she says it'll go away.

Aw cute.

Original post by 0to100

It happens. Get out more. And it's really not that deep for you to be tryna cyber-attack me.

I'm not cyber attacking you.

Original post by 0to100

I asked a question, you don't know the answer, get lost.

You are so angry. I just want to hug you.
Original post by WoodyMKC
****ing hell... have you been on drugs or something? Been a right temperamental miserable **** over the past week, you...

Probs the bleach/glue.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Inhaling fumes from bleach is no joke. Just saying, if you start to notice other symptoms, might be a good idea to contact the medical services. ****ing hell... have you been on drugs or something? Been a right temperamental miserable **** over the past week, you...

I didn't inhale, just was exposed to them in a small apparently "unventilated area." Which I was, I was cleaning a corner with no mask as I thought I diluted it enough. The rest of your post was unnecessary but if you noticed people were deliberately tryna derail you'd be pissed off as well no? I mean it's obvious, if you don't know the answer, don't post.

Like the lady just on this thread simply googled, pasted the answer, and left and said get well soon. Made a right example outta this lot. @hezzlington you can go away now, I've received a pretty decent answer that consolidated what I thought. See ya gangster.
Just for some info i found on the net:

In very severe cases, it can cause swelling of the airways, which can lead to trouble breathing and can be a real medical emergency. Most of the time, this kind of severe injury is caused by direct inhalation of very concentrated chemicals, or working in a small unventilated space. If you are having any trouble breathing, shortness of breath, wheezing, or chest pain these could all be signs of a severe reaction and you should go immediately to A&E.

However, I very much doubt that has happened; I just wanted to let you know some of the more severe symptoms. You will be fine in a couple of days, but as I said, any symptoms above and see your GP.

P.S - wear a mask next time :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest