The Student Room Group

How many A2 subjects do you need for Oxbridge Law 2017?

Because of the changes in A levels, my school has scrapped AS for some subjects. Now everyone takes 4 AS subjects and drops one subject so they have 3 A2s.

The only exceptions are people who are bilingual (they take their bilingual subject as a fourth A2), people who need further maths for uni (medicine, engineering etc.), and people applying to the US ivy leagues.

I am currently studying English Lit, Maths, History and Chemistry. My plan initially was to drop chemistry ( it is the weakest of my four, and least applicable to law on the whole). If I am to drop a subject it will be chemistry, but would this be wise?

Anyone in the same position? How many Oxbridge or LSE Law 2017 hopefuls have only 3 A2 subjects?
(edited 7 years ago)
If their standard offer is 3 A levels, then you only need 3 A levels, focus on getting those to the required standard rather than padding your application with extra A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

hahah lol
what a waste of time he must have had no life
Original post by Cicilaw

Is 3 a levels going to be strong enough for an application to Law at Oxford.

The answer is definitely yes - any offer would be for 3 A-levels and they would not think any less of you for completing three rather than four A-levels.

Remember the LNAT - if applying to Oxford you need to sit the exam before 20th October, so be sure to book your place early.

Sitting three A-levels can be beneficial. It gives you more time to prepare for the LNAT and to increase your subject-oriented reading. Use this to your advantage!

Hope your application goes well
Reply 6
Don't worry about this - at many schools, students are only allowed to take more than 3 subjects with special circumstances. It would be very unfair to penalise a high-achieving student at a state college for only taking 3 subjects when this is all that is available to them in favour of an equally able student at a more flexible school.

I am holding an Oxford Law offer for 2016 entry (depending on results!) and I only sat 3 subjects. I dropped Mathematics after AS and continued with History, Economics and Biology. It was a bit of a random combination but there are very few 'perfect' subjects for Law and most challenging subjects available offer useful skills.

Wishing you the best of luck with your application - feel free to message me if you want any advice regarding PS, LNAT, interviews, or anything really. I'll be pretty free until October :-)
Reply 7
Original post by Aquaxo
Don't worry about this - at many schools, students are only allowed to take more than 3 subjects with special circumstances. It would be very unfair to penalise a high-achieving student at a state college for only taking 3 subjects when this is all that is available to them in favour of an equally able student at a more flexible school.

I am holding an Oxford Law offer for 2016 entry (depending on results!) and I only sat 3 subjects. I dropped Mathematics after AS and continued with History, Economics and Biology. It was a bit of a random combination but there are very few 'perfect' subjects for Law and most challenging subjects available offer useful skills.

Wishing you the best of luck with your application - feel free to message me if you want any advice regarding PS, LNAT, interviews, or anything really. I'll be pretty free until October :-)

tHANKS and well done on your offer.
I'm doing maths chem history and english lit - a little random too

The real problem is I go to a high achieving private school, so it could look like I chose the easier option to do 3, even though it's just that my school is cautious of the new system and therefore really inflexible this year. Will the universities, knowing that I went to a good school with a strong oxbridge history really understand people like me in my year group. It seems like a bit of a gamble and I am just wary of the odds
Reply 8
Original post by Cicilaw
tHANKS and well done on your offer.
I'm doing maths chem history and english lit - a little random too

The real problem is I go to a high achieving private school, so it could look like I chose the easier option to do 3, even though it's just that my school is cautious of the new system and therefore really inflexible this year. Will the universities, knowing that I went to a good school with a strong oxbridge history really understand people like me in my year group. It seems like a bit of a gamble and I am just wary of the odds

Thank you!

They deal with tens of thousands of applications, so it is pretty unlikely that they will look too deeply into that. Their offer is for 3 subjects only and so that is what they look for. Your subjects are all very strong and, in my opinion, one of the best combinations I have seen for Law - they cover logic, language, memory and interpretation (be sure to suggest you chose this combination because they give you all these attributes in your personal statement).

Just go for it. Oxford is only one of your 5 choices anyway, but if they wanted 4 A Levels, they would ask for it. They would probably rather you get 3 A*s than 4 As! :-)
Reply 9

?????????wtf

i like learning but 22 a levels what the hell
Original post by Inexorably
?????????wtf

i like learning but 22 a levels what the hell

2:2 was also the result he got in his first year exams!
Original post by Cicilaw
Because of the changes in A levels, my school has scrapped AS for some subjects. Now everyone takes 4 AS subjects and drops one subject so they have 3 A2s.

The only exceptions are people who are bilingual (they take their bilingual subject as a fourth A2), people who need further maths for uni (medicine, engineering etc.), and people applying to the US ivy leagues.

Is 3 a levels going to be strong enough for an application to Law at Oxford. I achieved 12 a* at GCSE, and I have strong extra curriculars (2 grade 8s in music, public speaking, MUN etc. ...). However looking at past profiles of Oxford Law offers and other statistics, it looks like there were only a few who took 3 A2s.

I am currently studying English Lit, Maths, History and Chemistry. My plan initially was to drop chemistry ( it is the weakest of my four, and least applicable to law on the whole). If I am to drop a subject it will be chemistry, but would this be wise?

Another issue is, the way my school split the modular and linear subjects (a2 and as). For history, english and chem, there are no AS certificates, but I did maths AS. Basically, if I drop chem I will have nothing after a year of work.

Anyone in the same position? How many Oxbridge or LSE Law 2017 hopefuls have only 3 A2 subjects?

Oh god good luck, the Oxbridge process is tiring but worth it. Especially if you get an offer :smile: Mines from Cambridge, but I can say if advise AGAINST taking 4. There is no point. If chemistry is your weakest drop chemistry. Your other subjects are more than suitable, doing any combination of the three is not going to affect your chances. I wouldn't say chemistry is entirely unrelated, things like international property law apply.

They'll care more about your GCSEs, A Level Grades and LNAT score. If those go well, and you do decent get excited about your subject in your interview then you're good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending