The Student Room Group

British Muslims raise over £100,000 for charity during Ramadan.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by offhegoes
You're clearly a graduate from the Daily Mail school of ethics :wink:

Is that the one where you learn that bragging about how much you give to charity is crass and that the faith of the person needing charity should be irrelevant? If yes then guilty as charged.

Except evidently it is being given to non-Muslims.
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
Muslims do so much to help others, some of the loveliest people I've ever met, should be appreciated more.

Are they lovely because they are Muslim? Or is it perhaps that they are just good people and would be good people regardless of their faith?
Original post by Plagioclase
Except evidently it is being given to non-Muslims so kindly hush.

Cash for conversion yes a well know tactic of the faithful.But as you can see the opinion is split (with most saying NO to the non-muslim). Why this fact gets some so exited I do not know.But you hush if that's what you want:biggrin:
Original post by hezzlington
Are they lovely because they are Muslim? Or is it perhaps that they are just good people and would be good people regardless of their faith?

I mean Muslims do a lot of good things but they get so much hate, hopefully we can reverse this trend.
Reply 65
1. Zakat is not charity, as it is compulsory. It is therefore a tax or levy. Comparable to National Insurance Contributions.

2. Charity that is given out of self interest, to gain favour or avoid punishment, is not really charity. That is more like a bribe or protection money.

I am sure that there are some Muslims, some of whose donations do not fall into either category, but when charity is neither compulsory nor gains celestial brownie points it makes things less complicated. It is simply charity, for its own sake.
I'm curious. Wikipedia says "Zakāt is obligatory for all Muslims who are able to do so".

And I refuse to believe that there are only 100,000 or so Muslims in the UK.

So whilst any money raised towards charity is good money, this isn't exactly painting the Muslim community in a positive light... indeed, it only seems to be highlighting those that did give (and props to them for doing so; I won't take anything away from those generous enough to follow a basic tenet of their belief system).
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'm curious. Wikipedia says "Zakāt is obligatory for all Muslims who are able to do so".

So whilst any money raised towards charity is good money, this isn't exactly painting the Muslim community in a positive light... indeed, it only seems to be highlighting those that did give (and props to them for doing so; I won't take anything away from those generous enough to follow a basic tenet of their belief system).

Where did you get the 100,000 figure from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
Where did you get the 100,000 figure from?

The title of the thread? And that's assuming that each Muslim involved in the raising of the money only gave £1 (which isn't exactly an amount worthy of appraisal).

I gotta admit, even if 10 million Muslims gave 1p to charity, that's 1p more than I've given today. But if a quid isn't an amount worthy of appraisal, then a penny is worth only slightly more than **** all (quite literally).

Unless you're suggesting that a very small amount of Muslims gave significantly more than £1, which plays more into the hands of my own argument than the arguments I've seen on here so far.

Edit: Scratch all of the above, OP's a tool who doesn't know the difference between one hundred thousand and one hundred million.

1- This isn't all charitable money given by muslims, but a look at a particular period of giving (ramadan)
2- Not All money raised is zakah money
3- Each person has/can have a different zakah period given if and when he meets the particular thresholds.
4- The sources/destinations provided are not the end all be all of where donations are given to by muslims.
Original post by mercuryman
I thought this would be a pleasant read on top of this cyclone of 'Islamist terror attacks' reporting on mainstream media.

http://britishasiansuk.com/british-muslims-raise-over-100-million-for-charity-during-ramadan-which-equates-to-38-a-second/

Ps/ log off if you haven't got anything nice to say on this thread or wish to go on about irrelevant topics.

(Also, Mods please do not remove this thread. I want this thread to help others clear any misconceptions they had on charitable giving in islam ) *BaconandSauce* :wink:

highlights of this thread.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'd just like to point out that it's not that there is a "cyclone of terrorist attack reporting on mainstream media", it is that there have been a cyclone of terror attacks.
Muslims also give lots of free food to their non-muslim neighbours and friends, especially during Ramadan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
Oh dear. Judging by this thread everything us Muslims do is wrong!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is "we Muslims", not "us Muslims."

I am guessing that English isn't your first language, though, so your inability to express yourself is forgiven. :smile:
The title of the thread?

I've just seen your edit. Don't worry, was confused. :smile:
People also need to remember that charity is not only given in Ramadan but can be given at anytime during the year.
The title of the thread? And that's assuming that each Muslim involved in the raising of the money only gave £1 (which isn't exactly an amount worthy of appraisal)..

It doesn't have to be worthy of appraisal. It doesn't matter if you donate 1p or £100, you're intention is what should be important.
Sounds like a good achievement/contribution. Any details on what the charities were?
Thats a very nice thing to do. Not even the people who are critical of islam, like me, could say anything negative about it --- rationally that is.

Spoiler

Reply 78
Original post by generallee
It is "we Muslims", not "us Muslims."

I am guessing that English isn't your first language, though, so your inability to express yourself is forgiven. :smile:

Thank you so much for that valuable comment, changed my life.
Me no speak gud englizh

Posted from TSR Mobile
So what? *

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending