The Student Room Group

Ukcat

Im trying to understand how they have worked this out.

Attachment not found
image.png
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
all I can do is work out that it was £145 before VAT :redface: :lol:

Factor pairs of 145:
1, 145
5, 29

So they either bought 145 leaflets at £1 each or 29 leaflets at £5 each??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by surina16
all I can do is work out that it was £145 before VAT :redface: :lol:

Factor pairs of 145:
1, 145
5, 29

So they either bought 145 leaflets at £1 each or 29 leaflets at £5 each??

Yeah that's an odd one. Is there no more information? Like the leaflet cost? Surely it's multiple choice so the option is there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
image.pngimage.png This this table with all the leaflets, and i managed to get 145 without VAT nicely. And the other image is the multiple choices
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Paida-kays
Im trying to understand how they have worked this out.
The question is.
VAT is charged at 20% of the total cost. Frank bought some leaflets. The costs including VAT is £174. All leaflets Frank bought are the same. How many leaflets did he buy?

there's no enough information to calculate it. I think you're missing the information of the cost of 1 leaflet (either including or more likely not including vat). otherwise the answer can be anywhere from 1 to any number
Original post by Paida-kays
image.pngimage.png This this table with all the leaflets, and i managed to get 145 without VAT nicely. And the other image is the multiple choices

I think the answer is that he bought 725 single sided black/white leaflets.
This is how I got it but not 100% sure if it is correct:

You know that Frank spent £145 on leaflets before VAT.
The answer you are looking for will not be in the first 2 columns (1-9 & 10-49) as the maximum you would be able to buy * the top price is less than £145.
Going through the rest of the columns:
£145/0.4 = 362.5, which isn't a whole number and therefore can't be an option
This continues for 70p, 80p, £1.40, 30p, 55p and 60p.
£145/£1 = 100 leaflets. However this can't be the answer as 100 does not fit within the boundaries of the column (200-599)
£145/0.2 = 725 leaflets. This is the correct answer as it is a whole number and fits the boundaries (600+).
After checking the last 3, it confirmed that the above is the correct answer.
Reply 6
Original post by surina16
I think the answer is that he bought 725 single sided black/white leaflets.
This is how I got it but not 100% sure if it is correct:

You know that Frank spent £145 on leaflets before VAT.
The answer you are looking for will not be in the first 2 columns (1-9 & 10-49) as the maximum you would be able to buy * the top price is less than £145.
Going through the rest of the columns:
£145/0.4 = 362.5, which isn't a whole number and therefore can't be an option
This continues for 70p, 80p, £1.40, 30p, 55p and 60p.
£145/£1 = 100 leaflets. However this can't be the answer as 100 does not fit within the boundaries of the column (200-599)
£145/0.2 = 725 leaflets. This is the correct answer as it is a whole number and fits the boundaries (600+).
After checking the last 3, it confirmed that the above is the correct answer.

Omg youve got it, and my brother just confirmed the answer you got using the same trial and error method. Thank you so much i think what got me was i didnt use the table.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending