The Student Room Group

Just how competitive is teacher training?

Here's my info:

- I'm thinking of applying for a PGDE in Secondary English at Edinburgh University in a few years. (I'm currently expecting second child; just planning ahead.)

- I live in Edinburgh and will have two kids not in FT care, so I will probably be applying for it part-time over two years.

- I currently have no relevant experience but I will nearer the time (obviously now is not a good time) get some experience/observation time in a secondary school at least. I'd also like to try and get some work tutoring somehow; again, I haven't really looked into this too much yet because there's nothing I can do just now.

- My degree was a 2.1 in English & Philosophy from Bristol Uni (2011). I worked as a copywriter between 2011 and 2014, when I took time out for kids.

Basically, I have no idea whether I've got a good shot at actually getting onto the course. I know a lot will depend on the interview, but I am considering that a) I can really only apply to Edinburgh due to family situation and so will have no back-ups; b) I have a joint degree rather than solely English (may count against me?) and c) I'll be applying to this after having had a few years away from most work to look after kids. I will obviously get the shadowing experience, but I just wanted an idea of how competitive these courses are. Should I prepare myself for thinking about other career options, too?
They are competitive but not unattainable.

You need at least 50% of your degree relevant to your subject, so you're fine, plus you have relevant work experience which can work in your favour.

You don't have to stick to the PGCE University route, there are SCITTs too which give you the same experience but the course is laid out slightly different to a university-based approach. Edinburgh is a large city, English is a common subject. I'm sure there will be more than one provider. You could even apply for a salaried position, although the workload is higher.

As for experience, the more the better. If you're able TA/Cover Supervisor/Cover Teacher via agency would be beneficial (and paid experience).

You should be thinking about doing your literacy/numeracy skills test prior to interview (or at least have it booked). A lot of providers will only offer you a conditional place if you haven't passed those.
Reply 2
Original post by Findlay6

You should be thinking about doing your literacy/numeracy skills test prior to interview (or at least have it booked). A lot of providers will only offer you a conditional place if you haven't passed those.

Do you have to do one of those even if you have good GCSEs in Maths and English?
Reply 3
Trainees in Scotland do not have to take skills tests. It is only a requirement for trainees in England.

Original post by Kater Murr
I'm thinking of applying for a PGDE in Secondary English at Edinburgh University in a few years. (I'm currently expecting second child; just planning ahead.)

This document outlines the current minimum requirements set by Edinburgh and also provides other information about the course: http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/pgde-sec-english-29june2016.pdf

There is no mention of a part-time route, so they might not offer the course on a part-time basis. To give yourself the best shot, try to gain as much experience as you can prior to applying. It will give you things to draw on in your application and interview; it also demonstrates commitment.
Here's my info:

- I'm thinking of applying for a PGDE in Secondary English at Edinburgh University in a few years. (I'm currently expecting second child; just planning ahead.)

- I live in Edinburgh and will have two kids not in FT care, so I will probably be applying for it part-time over two years.

- I currently have no relevant experience but I will nearer the time (obviously now is not a good time) get some experience/observation time in a secondary school at least. I'd also like to try and get some work tutoring somehow; again, I haven't really looked into this too much yet because there's nothing I can do just now.

- My degree was a 2.1 in English & Philosophy from Bristol Uni (2011). I worked as a copywriter between 2011 and 2014, when I took time out for kids.

Basically, I have no idea whether I've got a good shot at actually getting onto the course. I know a lot will depend on the interview, but I am considering that a) I can really only apply to Edinburgh due to family situation and so will have no back-ups; b) I have a joint degree rather than solely English (may count against me?) and c) I'll be applying to this after having had a few years away from most work to look after kids. I will obviously get the shadowing experience, but I just wanted an idea of how competitive these courses are. Should I prepare myself for thinking about other career options, too?

Hi

I'm starting my PGDE for secondary English in August so hope I can help you with my recent experience of the application process. Whilst English is still one of the most popular PGDE courses, it is far from impossible to gain entry. Strathclyde for example was still accepting applications in April and May (the deadline for PGDE UCAS applications is January 15). Your main difficulty will probably be that you are only applying to one university (some people have been rejected at one university and gained entry into another).

As another poster mentioned, I could be wrong, but I think the PGDE is only offered on a full-time basis. This will be something you will want to confirm. Getting experience in a school is also essential, but other forms of experience such as tutoring/mentoring will be beneficial. I completely understand that you are trying to juggle child care etc, but if you can try to get some experience just now, even if it's just a few hours a month or something as it shows that teaching is a career you've been seriously considering for a while. Most of all, unis want to know that you are aware of the demands of the profession and are committed.

The fact that you've already achieved a 2.1 honours degree puts you in a strong position. The fact that it's a joint degree doesn't matter - in fact, it may work in your favour as interdisciplinary learning is a crucial part of the new Curriculum for Excellence. I'm assuming your degree is in English Literature, but if it is in English Language you need to have studied at least 80 credits in English Literature to gain entry to the course. Also, I'm not sure if you studied Standard Grades or GCSEs, but double check you have achieved the required levels in Maths and English as if you don't have these qualifications you will not gain entry to the course despite having a degree.

I couldn't say for definite but I doubt your time spent away from work will have much of a negative impact. Most universities prefer applicants with experience as opposed to final year students entering teaching because they don't know what else to do with their degree.

Here are a few things to consider/do before applying:
- try to gain experience in a school - at the very least you'll know if it's a career you really want
- I completely understand your situation with your children and wanting to stay in Edinburgh and I hope you are successful in your application with Edinburgh University, but I would advise maybe applying to a few other universities as well either in Glasgow or Aberdeen just to give yourself a better chance and more experiences with interviews. I know for my university I will have a Friday off and I am not in the whole week 9-5. Your school placement has to be within 1.5 hours from your term time address, meaning that half of your course would be in Edinburgh anyway.
- double check your qualifications (unfortunately many people are rejected from the course for not having appropriate Maths/English qualifications despite having a degree)

I wish you the best of luck over the next few years and I would definitely say you are in a strong position for a place on the course with more recent experience in a school and a good interview. I hope this post has helped a wee bit and feel free to ask if there's anything more I can help you with!
Do you have to do one of those even if you have good GCSEs in Maths and English?

Yes. First attempt is free. You have 3 attempts for each test.
Fail all 3 and you have to wait 2 years to reapply.
Original post by mellow_yellow

Here are a few things to consider/do before applying:
- try to gain experience in a school - at the very least you'll know if it's a career you really want
- I completely understand your situation with your children and wanting to stay in Edinburgh and I hope you are successful in your application with Edinburgh University, but I would advise maybe applying to a few other universities as well either in Glasgow or Aberdeen just to give yourself a better chance and more experiences with interviews. I know for my university I will have a Friday off and I am not in the whole week 9-5. Your school placement has to be within 1.5 hours from your term time address, meaning that half of your course would be in Edinburgh anyway.
- double check your qualifications (unfortunately many people are rejected from the course for not having appropriate Maths/English qualifications despite having a degree)

Seconded for all this. Experience is the key. When you apply for a training position you have to understand what teaching is all about. I thought I knew - after all, I went to school right? Turns out I can bring nothing from my experience in school from 88 to 95 into the modern classroom. It is completely different.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending