The Student Room Group

What's a computer science course like?

I'm currently undecided between engineering and computer science. Could someone give me an insight into what life as a computer science student is like. How much of the course is programming and how much is other stuff? What job are you looking to do after uni? What are the exams like? Is there a lot of writing?
Any response would be greatly appreciated. I really need some help to decide.
Thank you in advance
Computer Science is very broad. If you've seen the A-level spec for Computing then you're basically following that spec but in much more detail (especially the "programming" topic, as you'll be bound to a specific language). Some courses contain a module that can be described as "preparation" for the final year project you would be expected to undertake.
But to be honest, there isn't much writing in common English involved in the exams, just lots of coding (on pen and paper) and understanding of the topic in general with one-sentence answers for most questions. Maybe some calculations are involved too.
I'l advise you to do computer engineering, that will teach you programming and the hardware of everything technological. Thats what computer science lacks, the hardware.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Do you want to be a programmer? Computer engineering is harder than computer science with not much practical benefits. If you are passionate about computers then I guess go for it. Depends on what you want to do.

Computer science's programming is just the stepping stone. Then you learn alogrithms, do huge projects, learn to code optimally and so on. With computer engineering you will do a few eee courses. Any specific questions you have?
Reply 4
The names don't really matter as much as the modules the university chooses. Look at both and see what modules you have to do and look at optional modules as well.

You can do computer science at one uni and it will be 80% exams, lots of theory and maths. While you look at another university and it's 80% coursework and you concentrate on practical stuff.

Compare the modules provided and see what looks more interesting and what you feel you'll enjoy more.
All I know is I've heard they have to do the most work in order to get a 2:1
Reply 6
Thank you far all those replies. That's really helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by euan_13
I'm currently undecided between engineering and computer science. Could someone give me an insight into what life as a computer science student is like. How much of the course is programming and how much is other stuff? What job are you looking to do after uni? What are the exams like? Is there a lot of writing?
Any response would be greatly appreciated. I really need some help to decide.
Thank you in advance

Maybe 50% of the time is spent programming, but much less of that is spent learning to program; we were expected to learn quickly and just get on with it. The other half is more about theory side of things and maths (this is much more interesting to me personally). Job - ideally machine learning researcher for google would be the dream...but something similar failing that. Exams are fine, had a worrying trend of our exams being much harder than any previous ones but they were still doable/easyish with revision. Not too much writing, just a little bit of practice to prove that we can (ticking boxes basically).

Original post by woodpush3r
Is anyone here currently doing a computer science/computing course at uni?

I've just finished 1st year CS.
Reply 8
Original post by nerdling_CompSci
I'l advise you to do computer engineering, that will teach you programming and the hardware of everything technological. Thats what computer science lacks, the hardware.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I had a chance to go and do another degree, this is what I'd like to do.

One day I'd like to build a computer using only 74xx chips :moon:

Spoiler

Original post by TVIO
Maybe 50% of the time is spent programming, but much less of that is spent learning to program; we were expected to learn quickly and just get on with it. The other half is more about theory side of things and maths (this is much more interesting to me personally). Job - ideally machine learning researcher for google would be the dream...but something similar failing that. Exams are fine, had a worrying trend of our exams being much harder than any previous ones but they were still doable/easyish with revision. Not too much writing, just a little bit of practice to prove that we can (ticking boxes basically).

I've just finished 1st year CS.

What screen size are you using? Do you think a 13 inch macbook pro is big enough or does around 15 inches make things easier?
Reply 10
Original post by Tootles

Spoiler

Real computer engineers use NAND gates
Original post by mrahim
Real computer engineers use NAND gates
And what, prey, is a NAND gate, on the hardware level?
Original post by Tootles

Spoiler

the computer engineering guys at school even build robots :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Tootles
And what, prey, is a NAND gate, on the hardware level?

but you're not building them from transistors
Original post by mrahim
but you're not building them from transistors
I'm interested in the more historic aspects of it. You can build a NAND gate from three standard relays. I know it's not as efficient (in power, components, fanout, or speed) as with transistors, but that's my kind of fun is all.
Reply 15
Original post by Tootles
I'm interested in the more historic aspects of it. You can build a NAND gate from three standard relays. I know it's not as efficient (in power, components, fanout, or speed) as with transistors, but that's my kind of fun is all.

cool, i just wrote that cos i am currently doing a digital logic design course. sorry if i sound stupid :colondollar:
Original post by mrahim
cool, i just wrote that cos i am currently doing a digital logic design course. sorry if i sound stupid :colondollar:
I mainly build radios and from that I've come to a point where things feel more like achievements when I've made all the parts myself. I can make relays, but I can't fabricate semiconductors. Simple.
Reply 17
Original post by woodpush3r
What screen size are you using? Do you think a 13 inch macbook pro is big enough or does around 15 inches make things easier?

I used 13.3 mostly and it worked perfectly well. At home I often used the 24 inch monitor and labs had similar monitors but 13.3 with a high resolution works well enough. If 15 adds a lot of weight I definitely wouldn't want that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending