The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliceLambert
Thanks! Would taking a gap year instead of extra A levels or more AS levels be enough to reach the admissions expectations?

Hi again Alice,

That's quite a complex question so I recommend that you contact admissions. tel: 020 7882 8478.

Barts love,
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know that there is an undergraduate open day taking place this weekend on the 24th and 25th of June at the Mile End Campus. Although this isn't a Medicine open day, it is still a useful event to attend as you can learn a lot about Barts and what the course is like. When I went to the general open day, I walked down to the Royal London Campus in Whitechapel afterwards and had a look around.

Find out more here:
http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/openday/index.html

Check out the video below of people having a great time last year - it might just convince you to come along.

Barts love,
Will

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BGsDtjUwEcR/?taken-by=officialqmul[/video]
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi! My name is Will and I am currently a second year undergraduate medical student at QMUL's medical school, Barts and The London.

This thread is your opportunity to ask a current Barts student (me) about either the undergraduate or postgraduate courses at QMUL. Feel free to ask me about any aspect of the Medicine course including the curriculum, teaching methods and locations, clinical teaching or extra-curricular activities like sports teams and academic societies. I can also give you the latest on either of our medical school campuses including accommodation and facilities.

Barts love,
Will

Hi Will, thanks for taking time out to answer all these questions! I'd like to ask if your predicted grades actually need to be achieved. I'm an Irish student so I'm not taking the A Levels but suppose I was predicted to achieve A*A*A and they accepted me, would I be refused entry if I ended up only getting AAA? Would the conditional offer they send me (hypothetically) have a requirement of A*A*A or would I just have to achieve the university's minimum of AAA?

Also, would you have any idea when they're going to update their website with entry requirements for the Irish Leaving Certificate? Our grading system is changing for 2017 entry.
Original post by SmokedSalman
Hi Will, thanks for taking time out to answer all these questions! I'd like to ask if your predicted grades actually need to be achieved. I'm an Irish student so I'm not taking the A Levels but suppose I was predicted to achieve A*A*A and they accepted me, would I be refused entry if I ended up only getting AAA? Would the conditional offer they send me (hypothetically) have a requirement of A*A*A or would I just have to achieve the university's minimum of AAA?

Also, would you have any idea when they're going to update their website with entry requirements for the Irish Leaving Certificate? Our grading system is changing for 2017 entry.

Hi there, interesting questions.

As far as I'm aware, when you receive a conditional offer, the offer will state what the requirements are. I don't believe, under normal circumstances, the admissions department will ask for better than the 'minimum grade requirement' which, for Barts, is AAA. It would be unfair to expect people to achieve their predicted grades for acceptance as these are only an estimation and do not represent a translatable benchmark. If students were given an offer that is harder to achieve based on their predicted grades, schools would just predict people lower grades so that their students are more likely to get in!

So to answer your question, if you achieved AAA and the offer was AAA, you would get the place regardless of your predicted grades.

As for your question about the website, I have absolutely no idea. I imagine contacting the admissions department would be your best bet: 020 7882 8478.

If you have any more questions, please get in touch.

Barts love,
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there, interesting questions.

As far as I'm aware, when you receive a conditional offer, the offer will state what the requirements are. I don't believe, under normal circumstances, the admissions department will ask for better than the 'minimum grade requirement' which, for Barts, is AAA. It would be unfair to expect people to achieve their predicted grades for acceptance as these are only an estimation and do not represent a translatable benchmark. If students were given an offer that is harder to achieve based on their predicted grades, schools would just predict people lower grades so that their students are more likely to get in!

So to answer your question, if you achieved AAA and the offer was AAA, you would get the place regardless of your predicted grades.

As for your question about the website, I have absolutely no idea. I imagine contacting the admissions department would be your best bet: 020 7882 8478.

If you have any more questions, please get in touch.

Barts love,
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the detailed answer Will! I'll give them a ring soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
When should I pick my universities I want to apply to and when should I start preparing for the UKCAT because I have the books, just haven't looked at them yet.
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
When should I pick my universities I want to apply to and when should I start preparing for the UKCAT because I have the books, just haven't looked at them yet.

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

Which year will you be applying for entry for?

As for the UKCAT, the more practice you have the better. I recommend spending a bit of time every day working on it.

Barts love,
Will
Original post by WannabeDoctora
do barts look at minimum rwquirements or do they play a role in selecting very similar candidates. eg would a person with a higher gcse score be more likely to get an interview?

Hi there, thanks for the question.

I'm afraid I don't fully understand what you mean. However, I can say that a higher academic score does increase your chances of receiving an offer for interview. If you have a specific question about admissions, it probably makes sense to give them a call on 020 7882 8478.

Barts love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, thanks for getting in touch.

Although I am aware of the PACE trial, I am not in a position to respond on behalf of the university. Personally, I do not know enough about the study to comment on it.

Sorry to not be of more help.
Barts love,
Will

Quite right, *Best to avoid these individuals if at all possible.
Hi there, thanks for getting in touch!

Which year will you be applying for entry for?

As for the UKCAT, the more practice you have the better. I recommend spending a bit of time every day working on it.

Barts love,
Will

The 2017 entry so I'm currently in year 12 and am awaiting my AS results. So you would suggest to start revising now?
Original post by Elliottmanwaring
The 2017 entry so I'm currently in year 12 and am awaiting my AS results. So you would suggest to start revising now?

Hi there,

The UKCAT is a pretty tricky exam that contains very unfamiliar content for most people. Therefore, a much better revision technique is to do a little bit every day over a long period of time. Those people who cram for the UKCAT tend to lack the understanding behind what the questions are asking of you. So yes, I'd start revising now or over the summer!

As for making a choice of medical schools, you should remember that the deadline for your application for UCAS is the 15th of October. However, I'd start to narrow down your options soon and hope to have a shortlist well in advance of this date.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Barts love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there,
I was wondering what the ratios are for the type of teaching such as PBL or lectures etc. Also is there a particular type of teaching that you like/dislike and why?
Thanks for your help in advance
Original post by MadsonK
Hi there,
I was wondering what the ratios are for the type of teaching such as PBL or lectures etc. Also is there a particular type of teaching that you like/dislike and why?
Thanks for your help in advance

Hi, thanks for getting in touch!

As you may expect, the majority of teaching is via lectures. In years 1 and 2, there are typically between six to ten 1 hour lectures per week and two 2 hour long PBL sessions. Depending on the module, there may also be an anatomy session, a physiology session, a clinical skills session as well as time set aside for SSC (student selected components). Occasionally, there are one off sessions such as moving and handling, basic life support and suturing.

Different people will have different preferences for teaching methods. Some love lectures, some love PBL and some just prefer to study the material in their own time and use timetabled teaching as revision. Personally, I am glad there is a mix of teaching methods as it helps to get a broader understanding of the subject material. However, I consider PBL to be especially important.

Please let me know if you've got any more questions!

Barts love,
Will
hiya, thank you for answering questions!

do medics+ dentists mix with other students at the uni much? just asking because they have separate accommodation and seem to spend most of their time at a different campus to the rest of the uni.

also how soon into first year do you have to decide your accommodation for second year?

is Barts uni the same as the London uni and Queen Mary?

how long do you get off at summer/christmas/easter? do you get set a lot of work to do over the holidays? i know some uni's have reading weeks, do medical students at Queen Mary get that?

male/female ratio on the medicine course?

would you say there are more international students at Queen Mary because it's in London than, for example, Bristol uni?

thank you!!!
Do Barts make any offers higher than AAA? I am predicted A*A*A* but I can alternatively get predicted less- would this be an advantage in causing me to receive a lower offer Also do higher predictions mean I dont have to do that well on the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by raspberryapple
hiya, thank you for answering questions!

do medics+ dentists mix with other students at the uni much? just asking because they have separate accommodation and seem to spend most of their time at a different campus to the rest of the uni.

also how soon into first year do you have to decide your accommodation for second year?

is Barts uni the same as the London uni and Queen Mary?

how long do you get off at summer/christmas/easter? do you get set a lot of work to do over the holidays? i know some uni's have reading weeks, do medical students at Queen Mary get that?

male/female ratio on the medicine course?

would you say there are more international students at Queen Mary because it's in London than, for example, Bristol uni?

thank you!!!

Hi there, thanks for all of the questions!

There are certainly opportunities for students studying Medicine & Dentistry to mix with students at QMUL who are studying other subjects. You are correct that they are mainly on different campuses but there are joint social events, sports teams and societies where we all get together!

Finding somewhere to live in second year is normally pretty stress free. Some people decide who they want to live with very early on but most people don't actually start looking for a house until the summer before their second year. There is even a forum specifically for people to find flat-mates at Barts. This isn't something you should worry about yet!

Bart's & The London School of Medicine & Dentistry is a school within Queen Mary University of London. So yes, they are essentially the same thing. QMUL is also part of the University of London, which is a collection of the large Universities in London.

Holidays at Barts in the first two years are only slightly shorter than at most other universities. As you progress through the years, holidays get shorter, especially Summer. In the past few years, the Medical School has rearranged the course so that there is less work to do over the holiday periods. For example, exams will be before we break up for Christmas rather than after. This has been welcomed by most students (myself included) as we like to have a rest from work in the holidays! Whilst this is true for years 1-3, I don't know enough about subsequent years to comment. There are certainly no reading weeks.

As far as I am aware, the male:female ratio is 1:1 or there abouts.

QMUL prides itself on its high number of international students. The same can be said about Barts, which has a lot of students from across Asia and Europe.

I hope this answers your questions!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by Chutiya
Do Barts make any offers higher than AAA? I am predicted A*A*A* but I can alternatively get predicted less- would this be an advantage in causing me to receive a lower offer Also do higher predictions mean I dont have to do that well on the UKCAT

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

I have actually been asked this question before. As far as I am aware, your predicted grades will not affect the conditions of your offer. If you are predicted A*A*A*, you will be given a conditional offer that is the same as someone who has been given an offer based on predictions of AAA.

Just to be sure, I have asked for clarification about this issue. I will get back to you.

Barts love,
Will
When counting UCAS points can you include more than one music (practical) grade exam, or does only one count in your tariff? Please help
Original post by undercover65
When counting UCAS points can you include more than one music (practical) grade exam, or does only one count in your tariff? Please help

Hi there,

I'm afraid that one is beyond me. You'll have to contact admissions: 020 7882 8478.

Barts love,
Will
What is the social life at Dawson hall like?are there many nearby nightclubs?also if people go out partying in the student union how do people get back to Dawson hall from the student union at night

Latest

Trending

Trending