The Student Room Group

Is Jeremy Corbyn a nice guy?

Poll

Is Jeremy Corbyn a nice guy?

He wanted a kinder politics but has acted like Cersei lannister recently. A lot of his supporters are also nasty and threaten violence

He seems nice, daft but is it an act?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AbsolutelyHaram

He seems nice, daft but is it an act?

No. I don't think it is an act. I don't really get Corbyn, but then he has been consistent in his message. He doesn't lie. He doesn't say things because they make others happy. He doesn't do things because others say that is the thing to be done. He definitely has integrity. He doesn't have much charisma, but many don't. He basically sums up all we say we want in our politicians. Yet we hate him for it.

Instead we hold up lying, two faced, say anything for a vote, self interested, self publicists, did I say lying? people like Boris Johnson as some sort of demi-Gods.

It is all very odd.
I don't know, I've never met the guy. He seems nice, but I've met plenty of nice people with horrible views. The fact that he's mates with Galloway and Milne and got paid by Iran and Rusdia as well as having some warped world views pretty much qualifies him as a bastard in my eyes.

If he was principled he would have been honest about his thoughts on the EU.

On certain things he is either tetardedky naive or genuinely unpleasant - thinking it was acceptable to compare Israel at an anti Semitic inquiry Ffs.

I don't think he's acting. He is probably a lovely person outside of politics but I don't trust him personally, and it would take a lot for labour to win me back.
Reply 3
I don't think anyone can really answer this unless they've been socially invovled enough with Mr Corbyn lmao
Original post by ByEeek
No. I don't think it is an act. I don't really get Corbyn, but then he has been consistent in his message. He doesn't lie. He doesn't say things because they make others happy. He doesn't do things because others say that is the thing to be done. He definitely has integrity. He doesn't have much charisma, but many don't. He basically sums up all we say we want in our politicians. Yet we hate him for it.

Instead we hold up lying, two faced, say anything for a vote, self interested, self publicists, did I say lying? people like Boris Johnson as some sort of demi-Gods.

It is all very odd.

Cough Eu Referendum, he voted out for sure! Cough
He's not a nice man at all. He's a hypocrite big time. He took money from the Iranian government

uk.businessinsider.com/jeremy-corbyn-paid-iran-press-tv-tortured-journalist-2016-6

You can also see every time he's interviewed, he adopts this really patronising, irritable tone that suggests he's barely keeping his anger under control. It's clear he views the journalists with contempt and the tone of his answers really says, "How stupid you are for asking me that". He views people who don't agree with him as traitors and scum

The tone of the Momentum movement is set at the top. He has done nothing to rein in his supporters who are saying things like calling Angela Eagle a "treacherous fat lesbian" (https://storify.com/InTheSoupAgain/homophobia-and-corbynites) and McDonnell calling his parliamentary colleagues (****ing useless). They really are incredibly arrogant but the way they have trained this force of Momentum attack dogs is becoming sinister. People in the Labour Party are afraid for their safety if they speak out against Corbyn
Original post by Davij038

On certain things he is either tetardedky naive or genuinely unpleasant - thinking it was acceptable to compare Israel at an anti Semitic inquiry Ffs.

He puts on this not very convincing facade of being totally calm but the way it comes across in interviews is that he is extremely irritated and barely keeping it under control. He also snaps and shouts at journalists so he has quite a short fuse.

I think he is quite unpleasant because he has all the characteristics of a fanatic. He also sees himself as this amazing, pure saint when in fact he has done some very greedy and obnoxious things, like taking money from the Iranian government (which murders gay people, stones women and imprisons trade unionists). He was employed by the Iranian propaganda arm even after it came out that they were involved in torture

uk.businessinsider.com/jeremy-corbyn-paid-iran-press-tv-tortured-journalist-2016-6

The tone of his movement is set at the top, and you can see really the hatred and vitriol in his supporters who call other people in the party "Blairite scum" and "traitors". They call anyone who doesn't support him that, even left wing MPs like Lisa Nandy who was one of his closest allies but resigned because she knew he just isn't up to the job. As soon as she did that, his supporters started attacking her saying things like "Why don't you **** off and join the Tories".

https://storify.com/InTheSoupAgain/homophobia-and-corbynites

This is the predictable result when someone whips up a political movement based on emotion and always identifying someone as the "enemy"; look at the Momentum feed and you can see it's like the "Two Minutes Hate" in 1984. I fear for this country's liberties if ever he was to get into power; his Momentum supporters would then become quite dangerous
Original post by AlexanderHam
It's clear he views the journalists with contempt and the tone of his answers really says, "How stupid you are for asking me that".

Sounds like a man we can all relate to.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Sounds like a man we can all relate to.

So all journalists are scumbags and politicians are entitled to view them all with contempt? That's the klnd of mindset that people often to apply to all politicians (even though many of them are committed, work very hard and long hours, and are in it because they want to make a difference), lead to the extreme and its logical conclusion, that led to Jo Cox being murdered.

Not all journalists/politicians/lawyers (delete as appropriate) are scum. They're just people. And none of that justifies Corbyn being patronising and contemptuous to journalists who he agreed to be interviewed by. He is a politician, the way politicians can communicate to the general population is by speaking through the media. By treating them with contempt, he treats their readers/viewers with contempt
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett

I'm sure he did. But he didn't exactly give a ringing endorsement of the EU. At least he didn't state that he would personally give £350 million in additional money to the NHS if we left.

I do find his view that fellow politicians should rally behind him and the party a bit much, especially when he is the most rebellious politician in recent history.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
I don't see how a nice man could attract quite so many thugs as supporters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think he's acting. He is probably a lovely person outside of politics but I don't trust him personally, and it would take a lot for labour to win me back.

But he must be acting because most people think he's not unpleasant. Doubt hes that naive lol
Reply 12

If he was principled he would have been honest about his thoughts on the EU.

He was probably the only Mp who was honest about his views on the EU. He said the EU had helped protect civil and workers rights. He said he thought there were problems with the EU, but we would be better off staying in and working to make changes. He said the immigration problems had been made by the failure of government to stop them being exploited to undercut UK nationals wages, and that housing, school and NHS should have been increased to match demand.
With regards to the Israel mention, he was making a point that bigotry towards both Jews and Muslims was wrong.
Corbyn is well known as a long term crusader for human rights, non-discrimination and anti-war. To imply he is anti-Semitic is ridiculous, and simply a smear to discredit him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Sebastian Bartlett

He was probably the only Mp who was honest about his views on the EU. He said the EU had helped protect civil and workers rights. He said he thought there were problems with the EU, but we would be better off staying in and working to make changes.
Reply 14
Original post by ByEeek
I do find his view that fellow politicians should rally behind him and the party a bit much, especially when he is the most rebellious politician in recent history.

He doesn't ask them to back him in everything, just not to undermine him, and support him in leading the Party.
Original post by Aliccam
He was probably the only Mp who was honest about his views on the EU. He said the EU had helped protect civil and workers rights. He said he thought there were problems with the EU, but we would be better off staying in and working to make changes. He said the immigration problems had been made by the failure of government to stop them being exploited to undercut UK nationals wages, and that housing, school and NHS should have been increased to match demand.
With regards to the Israel mention, he was making a point that bigotry towards both Jews and Muslims was wrong.
Corbyn is well known as a long term crusader for human rights, non-discrimination and anti-war. To imply he is anti-Semitic is ridiculous, and simply a smear to discredit him.

Why did he take money from and appear on the propoganda arm of imperialist, fascist and theocratic Russia and Iran?

Why does he seemingly equate the death of Bin Ladin with 9/11?

Why is he still chairing the StwC despite it being too toxic for say Caroline Lucas?

Why can he not just condemn anti semitism,no articulately at an event on anti semitism? If say Donald Trump went to a enquiry into violence against black people and continuously mentioned violence against white people Corbynistas would quite reasonably think he was whitewashing it (pun unintended)

Why is he long term friends with vile regressive leftists such as George Galloway, Ken Livingstone, and Seumas Milne?
Reply 16
Original post by Aliccam
He doesn't ask them to back him in everything, just not to undermine him, and support him in leading the Party.
He only warrants being supported if he's right. He's anything but Right ......however you want to define it.
Reply 17
Why did he take money from and appear on the propoganda arm of imperialist, fascist and theocratic Russia and Iran?
Not sure what you are referring to here, but he does prefer to find out his own information on issues, rather than rely on what others say.

Why does he seemingly equate the death of Bin Ladin with 9/11?
He onlly stated that it would have been better to capture rather than kill Bin Laden as he may have provided valuable intelligence about Al Quaeda etc.

Why is he still chairing the StwC despite it being too toxic for say Caroline Lucas?
Because he believes wars are wrong and doesn't worry about what the press thinks. Caroline Lucas is more vulnerable to losing her seat.
Why can he not just condemn anti semitism,no articulately at an event on anti semitism? If say Donald Trump went to a enquiry into violence against black people and continuously mentioned violence against white people Corbynistas would quite reasonably think he was whitewashing it (pun unintended)
If you listened to his whole interview you will see that he does condemn Anti-Semitism. Unfortunately the press are only interested in anything that can be edited or taken out of context to make him look bad.

Why is he long term friends with vile regressive leftists such as George Galloway, Ken Livingstone, and Seumas Milne?
Obviously a Telegraph reader.
Definitley not. If you want a 'nice guy' Politican in the Labour Party you should be looking at Sadiq Khan, someone who actively reaches out to others, not Corbyn. My reasons for disliking him are similar to those mentioned above, accepting money from Iran, calling Hamas and Hezbollah his 'friends,' employing Seamus Milne, an IRA supporter, taking ages to speak out about anti Semitism in the Labour Party and not acknowleging the full extent of the problem, failing to deliver a strong message to those harrassing other Labour MP's and in fact baying on supporters, some of whom were calling for violence against MP's who didn't support him.
And now calling for deselection of democratically elected MP's is ridiculous- the election results of the whole electorate should count far more than just that of those registered Labour Party supporters.

He's created a 'Cult of Corbyn' with followers who believe he can do know wrong and cry 'smear campaign' everytime the media dares to be critical about him. I think the fact so many of his MP's voted no confidence in him suggests its a lot more than that given they have tried to work with him. I'm a Conservative supporter and myself and the other supporters I know don't just follow either the Prime Minister or Party blindly, we recognise when they have gone wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Aliccam
Not sure what you are referring to here, but he does prefer to find out his own information on issues, rather than rely on what others say.

He onlly stated that it would have been better to capture rather than kill Bin Laden as he may have provided valuable intelligence about Al Quaeda etc.

Because he believes wars are wrong and doesn't worry about what the press thinks. Caroline Lucas is more vulnerable to losing her seat.
If you listened to his whole interview you will see that he does condemn Anti-Semitism. Unfortunately the press are only interested in anything that can be edited or taken out of context to make him look bad.

Obviously a Telegraph reader.

I am referring to the fact that he received money from imperialist dictators from appearing on their propaganda channel despite being allegedly pro democracy and human rights.

It's the equivalent of the Catholic Church lecturing the bbc on child abuse.

Calling me a Tory makes you look even more pathetic unless you stand by Galloway, living stone and Milne?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending