The Student Room Group

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000

Scroll to see replies

Do student finance amounts rise accordingly?
Original post by jneill
FIne Art is Oxford - I stated that.

Also re Medicine not being vocational, and you not trusting Wiki when it says it is

Here's a different source:
"Medicine is a vocational degree"
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/medicine

So now just because a website says a subject is vocational I'm supposed to just trust it?

Medicine is an academic discipline just as much as training for a specific job, this much is self evident from the intense and in-depth amount of studying you do. That is why you are awarded a 'bachelors' degree and not an advanced NVQ.

But I digress, I have derailed this thread for too long
Original post by stevey396
No - everyone would be able to attend eventually. Those who can't afford it at first will have to find a job (yes, a JOB) and save up. This will teach workshy little oiks that they can't have everything handed to them on a plate and have to work hard before they reap the benefits. It will also discourage those who aren't cut out for uni from going, saving them from wasting three years of their life.

So your complaining about students being spoilt and not having everything handed to them yet say those from well off families should get direct entry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
What's the unemployment rate for CompSci grads?

Agree about languages though. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very low.
Original post by LillyB14
But thats competition over how much money the students parents have, not how high their grades are
Snob.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it competition over how much money your parents have? Most people's parents don't pay their tuition fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stevey396
Agreed. It's outrageous how these selfish students are spending the taxpayers money on drinking, partying and holidaying and then have the audacity, the unmitigated gall, to claim that they're poor. It's all take, take, take with students, and they give back nothing but a horrific attitude. Chuck them out on the streets where they belong.

Oh ok lets scrap uni altogether and have a completely uneducated future generation. Mind you, even the educated people can't seem to undo the **** the older generations have got us in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mercuryman
Very low.

quack quack oops

Original post by jneill
quack quack oops

dammit
but your graph lacks detail.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Graduate+Prospects&s=computer+science will tell you that RG unis have extremely high graduate prospects for CS, rivalling vocational courses.
Original post by mercuryman
dammit
but your graph lacks detail.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Graduate+Prospects&s=computer+science will tell you that RG unis have extremely high graduate prospects for CS, rivalling vocational courses.

Shhhh.... don't mention vocational courses. :wink:

By the way, if you want detail how about 25% unemployment for Computing at Imperial
http://m.unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10003270FT-G400/ReturnTo/Search
:wink:

And neither St Andrews nor Lancaster nor Swansea are in the RG, yet are in that top 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Very true. :wink:
I agree that languages are useful, but that's not to say subjects like philosophy aren't useful either. I think it's a mistake to separate subject from the skills that subjects teaches you; critical thinking is a useful skill to have therefore any degree which teaches you to think critically is also useful.

Depends how you define well-established. English started to be taught at some universities in the early 19th century, but the first English BA wasn't offered until the turn of the century. English degrees have in been around for about 100 years whereas Media Studies first appeared in the 1960s - is a difference of only 50 years enough to claim one subject is established and traditional, and the other is not? I don't think so.

Original post by jneill
Polar Studies ? (@Snufkin :wink: )

:thumbsup: :snowm: :banana:
Original post by Snufkin
Depends how you define well-established. English started to be taught at some universities in the early 19th century, but the first English BA wasn't offered until the turn of the century. English degrees have in been around for about 100 years whereas Media Studies first appeared in the 1960s - is a difference of only 50 years enough to claim one subject is established and traditional, and the other is not? I don't think so.

English used to be talked about the way media is now :yes:
"The first problem to contend with was the contempt in which English studies were held at the university. Seen as the ‘soft option', a woman's subject, and the poor man's Classics', it was derided for its supposed lack of substance, and for the problems it was thought to present in terms of assessment. E. A Freeman, an opponent of the proposed School, warned of devoting an Oxford institution to mere chatter about Shelley': There are many things fit for a man's personal study, which are not fit for University exams. One of them is “literature” (…) we cannot examine in tastes and sympathies'. In fact, even some of those who stood up for the School defended it in derogatory terms. Thus, it was argued that an English School would not interfere with the‘Greats' School and, furthermore, that it would be really advantageous if it drew off the weaker candidates.' Similarly, one commentator recommended the School on the condescending grounds that the women should be considered, and the second and third-rate men who were to become schoolmasters.'"
https://www.academia.edu/2550098/A_Short_History_of_the_Oxford_English_Faculty
Original post by PQ
English used to be talked about the way media is now :yes:
"The first problem to contend with was the contempt in which English studies were held at the university. Seen as the ‘soft option', a woman's subject, and the poor man's Classics', it was derided for its supposed lack of substance, and for the problems it was thought to present in terms of assessment. E. A Freeman, an opponent of the proposed School, warned of devoting an Oxford institution to mere chatter about Shelley': There are many things fit for a man's personal study, which are not fit for University exams. One of them is “literature” (…) we cannot examine in tastes and sympathies'. In fact, even some of those who stood up for the School defended it in derogatory terms. Thus, it was argued that an English School would not interfere with the‘Greats' School and, furthermore, that it would be really advantageous if it drew off the weaker candidates.' Similarly, one commentator recommended the School on the condescending grounds that the women should be considered, and the second and third-rate men who were to become schoolmasters.'"
https://www.academia.edu/2550098/A_Short_History_of_the_Oxford_English_Faculty

Wiki: In a letter to a friend, describing America, Freeman wrote, "This would be a grand land if only every Irishman would kill a negro, and be hanged for it".

Turns out he died of smallpox. Such a shame.
Reply 153
Original post by fefssdf
I can understand Cambridge ect demanding more but Kent .....

Apparently the teaching is very good - as is often the case with non-research intensive universities.
Original post by jneill
Wiki: In a letter to a friend, describing America, Freeman wrote, "This would be a grand land if only every Irishman would kill a negro, and be hanged for it".

Turns out he died of smallpox. Such a shame.

Urgh

What a charmer
Original post by Assan
Apparently the teaching is very good - as is often the case with non-research intensive universities.

I guess so I mean I can't comment cause I don't go there lol
Reply 156
Original post by fefssdf
I guess so I mean I can't comment cause I don't go there lol

I know plenty of alumni.

The point being that while universities at the top of the rankings are wise choices for a number of reasons, it is no secret that, generally, with some exceptions, the less research-focused a university is, the more dedicated its staff are to teaching and student learning.
Jo Johnson has published the ministrerial statement about this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36856026
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2016-07-21/HCWS117/

The increase will apply to all students in 2017/18 (including continuing students)
Part time second degree funding for STEM subjects extended to cover subjects allied to medicine; biological sciences; veterinary sciences, agriculture and related subjects; physical sciences and mathematical sciences. (but still no mention of the promise to extend this to full time support)

Nursing and Health Professional funding moved to loan system - with funding for second degrees confirmed.

Funding for PGDips in Nursing/Health professions starting after 1st August 2017 is still unconfirmed
Original post by Assan
I know plenty of alumni.

The point being that while universities at the top of the rankings are wise choices for a number of reasons, it is no secret that, generally, with some exceptions, the less research-focused a university is, the more dedicated its staff are to teaching and student learning.

That is probably true ; maybe I should've considered this when making my choices but then again my two choices both have good study support eg. Dedicated teaching officer for first years so should be alright ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending