The Student Room Group

How to get a job at 17

Hi I've just finished my A-Levels and i'm finding it surprisingly hard to find a job. I've applied to 7 jobs since late June and only 2 have replied :frown:. Both were online questionnaire ones which i regret taking cause they are such a waste of time. For one tescos job I applied to I copied the exact answers someone had said that got them the job but i still was rejected. My CV seems fine I've got it checked by a few people and i even have 2 years of work experience at oxfam. I've handed in my CV to clarks but it doesn't seem that they will reply.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You just have to keep applying. Took me 4 years and many applications and interviews to get my first part time job.
I think we are all in the same boat when we're 17/18. You do feel bad when it seems like others can get jobs so easily at that age but you do just have to keep at it and hope to get lucky. I think getting your first ever job is always the hardest but then it does slowly get easier from there.
same boat mate,i've been applying from late june up til now and nothing is happening...getting sick and tired of seeing "sorry we have decided not to take your application futher" or not passing the questionnaire? Any advoce @Airmed
I'm in the same boat, just keep applying. It's really stressful :frown:
Original post by Airmed
You just have to keep applying. Took me 4 years and many applications and interviews to get my first part time job.

Oh gosh :frown:
The first one is always the hardest. Keep hanging in there. Some people seem to get them stupidly quickly but you'll find a lot of the time they have some kind of connection that made things easier for them. Work on your CV as much as you can and write out a couple of decent and specific cover letters that you can attach to applications. Handing in your CV around town to cafes and such is a good idea, especially with people going off to uni soon. Just keep trying. You'll get there. Good luck!
Reply 7
Don't send the same CV in to every single job. You need to tailor it to that job. That's effort, I know, but it'll pay off.

Take time with the questionnaires. Sometimes what I would personally do is not actually what a store wants.

Volunteer as much as you can. You will learn valuable skills. This I can't stress enough. I actually got my first and current job through this (volunteering at my uni archives has taught me a lot about enquires, and even being on the ST for TSR has. Current job? On my uni clearing helplines. Thanks, purple name. :love:)
@scrawlx101
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Oh gosh :frown:

I'm serious. I started applying at 16. Only got my first job this summer. I'm 20 in a few months. I'm the poster girl for proving that grades don't mean everything.
Original post by Airmed

wow, that took a long time
would you guys say it was easier to get a job by handing in CV's in store or by online application. Plus is it a good idea to email the people who haven't yet replied... would i just end up sounding pushy
In the exact same boat. I've probably applied to maybe 10 jobs in the past 3 weeks, got rejected by about 4 and no reply from the others :P
U just have to keep trying
I think hospitality jobs (waiting tables / KPs) are easier to get at this age, because it's less about experience and more about learning quickly and confidence. I do recommend handing your CV in yourself, as then you can often make an impression on the GM. Calling / chasing them up is annoying but you're more likely to be remembered this way. In my experience retail jobs are much harder to come by
Hiya persobally i just kept applying for jobs and i asked people i knew who had jobs to put in a good word for me. As soon as an opening came up i pestered them and got my friend to talk to their boss about me. Bam! Now i have two part time jobs 😊 be patient. One is bound to pop up soon
I couldn't get a part-time job for two years and now I have three at once! Drop me a PM if you like. :biggrin:
Reply 16
You'll probably have more luck with independent cafés and restaurants than big chains or retail, at this age :smile: also, just a note, it's often more successful give them a call or drop a cv in personally rather than by email/ internet, because it's more personal
WHSmith do jobs from the age of 14 or ask your local corner shop?

Or why not set up stalls at funfairs and sell stuff like make a cake stand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Retropattern
Hi I've just finished my A-Levels and i'm finding it surprisingly hard to find a job. I've applied to 7 jobs since late June and only 2 have replied :frown:. Both were online questionnaire ones which i regret taking cause they are such a waste of time. For one tescos job I applied to I copied the exact answers someone had said that got them the job but i still was rejected. My CV seems fine I've got it checked by a few people and i even have 2 years of work experience at oxfam. I've handed in my CV to clarks but it doesn't seem that they will reply.

Whatever you do, PLEASE do not give up. I'm 20 and I got my first weekend job when I was 18. It really is miserable and horrible to see your peers earning but you can't. If I were you I'd start applying for voluntary jobs, you'll become SO much confident in what you do, develop/improve on your skills and much more! And also, if you were to get yourself a job (fingers crossed!) and you didn't like it, you can always leave that job and use your voluntary work as a reference for the future. Hope this helped. :smile:

p.s Do let me know how you get on!
Original post by Retropattern

Its very normal not being able to find a job after finishing college/sixth form. It took me almost a year to find my first part time job. Sometimes it takes almost 4-5 years for people to get their first part time job.

However don't get the impression that having years of experience is a different treatment, because you can't always 'win' a job even though you have years of experience.
I have 1 year of office experience in different places but I still get rejection letters here and there (but the situation isn't as bad as they are)!

So don't be disheartened, keep applying and eventually you will find that job! Its always about perseverance and being resilient. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending