The Student Room Group

If you were Prime Minister, what policies would you implement?

How would you improve Britain?

Scroll to see replies

I would completely remove hate speech laws. You can easily defeat extremists by allowing them to hoist themselves by their own petard.
Ban alcohol and smoking. Or at least tax them even more heavily.
Original post by 34908seikj
Ban alcohol and smoking. Or at least tax them even more heavily.

That went so well in the USA.
Original post by TercioOfParma
That went so well in the USA.

Well It's a good thing I'm not prime minister! I'd be more lax with Alcohol though than smoking. Maybe prevent bars and pubs from being open during the day from 8am to 5pm - this would also include the selling of alcohol from say a convenience store. For smoking I'd just keep increasing the tax until it was too expensive for the majority of the populous.
Well It's a good thing I'm not prime minister! I'd be more lax with Alcohol though than smoking. Maybe prevent bars and pubs from being open during the day from 8am to 5pm - this would also include the selling of alcohol from say a convenience store. For smoking I'd just keep increasing the tax until it was too expensive for the majority of the populous.

That could work, although driving it underground would probably just make the problem 10x worse.
Not invoke Article 50
I would make myself supreme leader of Britain
Original post by Infamous*
I would make myself supreme leader of Britain

How would you get rid of the crown?
Implement Shariah

Spoiler

-introduce national cheese day
-have a national sleep day
-have a national pokemon day (everyone has a day off and gets to pokehunt)
-remain in EU
-do a referendum on lowering voting age

Spoiler

1) Reduce taxes for everyone. No one should pay more than 20% of their income in taxes. Too many hardworking families are paying 40% or more of their income in taxes.
2) Reduce all welfare spending except for disabled people. JSA should only be available for one year.
3) Privatise universities to improve standards of higher education and reduce the burden on the taxpayer.
4) Make the NHS more efficient and cut spending.
5) Encourage skilled people to come here legally while stopping all unnecessary immigration and 'refugees'. Send back immigrants convicted of a crime.
6) Defeat ISIS. Stop funding any groups in Syria or Iraq.
7) Stop building 'council housing' and sell off some council housing units. Expand help to buy so people can buy proper homes. Subsidise building firms so they can build more good quality homes for British people.
8) Teach children financial education and make two weeks of work experience compulsory in schools. More high quality apprenticeships.
9) Get rid of any useless regulations and bureaucracy. Make it easier for small business to get up and running. Create a culture of entrepreneurship, individualism and hard work.
(edited 7 years ago)
How would you get rid of the crown?

I wouldn't get rid of it, I would put it on my head.

Spoiler

Original post by Zamestaneh
Implement Shariah

Spoiler

Come at you? m8 I would launch the biggest coup the world has ever seen
Original post by Trapz99
1) Reduce taxes for everyone. No one should pay more than 20% of their income in taxes. Too many hardworking families are paying 40% or more of their income in taxes.
2) Reduce all welfare spending except for disabled people. JSA should only be available for one year.
3) Privatise universities to improve standards of education.
4) Make the NHS more efficient and cut spending.
5) Encourage skilled people to come here legally while stopping all unnecessary immigration and 'refugees'.
6) Defeat ISIS. Stop funding any groups in Syria or Iraq.
7) Stop building 'council housing' and sell off some council housing units. Expand help to buy so people can buy proper homes. Subsidise building firms so they can build more good quality homes for British people.

1) How would you make up the new deficit from the reduction in taxes?
3) Students won't be too happy with that
4)CUT SPENDING? Are you mad? All they do is try and make the NHS more efficient & they're already way underfunded. You'd be making it even worse.
6) Can't really defeat an 'idea', not too sure what you mean by the second part; are we funding any groups in Iraq and syria?
7)Where dat sweet money coming from homeboy? But that's sort of what this current government has done - They've built a ton of new courses that are relatively cheap.
Original post by Infamous*
Come at you? m8 I would launch the biggest coup the world has ever seen

If I was Prime Minister, it would have meant that I would have been elected/my beliefs widely known already before I assumed power. So much for democracy that you would try to overthrow me, tut tut.
1) How would you make up the new deficit from the reduction in taxes?
3) Students won't be too happy with that
4)CUT SPENDING? Are you mad? All they do is try and make the NHS more efficient & they're already way underfunded. You'd be making it even worse.
6) Can't really defeat an 'idea', not too sure what you mean by the second part; are we funding any groups in Iraq and syria?
7)Where dat sweet money coming from homeboy? But that's sort of what this current government has done - They've built a ton of new courses that are relatively cheap.

1) Cut spending.
4) I don't think it's that underfunded.
6) Yes we are. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_involvement_in_the_Syrian_Civil_War
ISIS isn't an idea- it's a terrorist group which directly threatens Britain.
7) I'm just saying that we should sell of some council houses so people can buy them, instead of renting from the government. Yes the government has been doing a good job of building houses but we need to expand help to buy instead of building council houses,
Reply 17
No safe spaces
just puppy rooms
Original post by TercioOfParma
I would completely remove hate speech laws. You can easily defeat extremists by allowing them to hoist themselves by their own petard.

It worked for the BNP, they went down the toilet after Nick Griffin was allowed on QT.
Original post by Zamestaneh
If I was Prime Minister, it would have meant that I would have been elected/my beliefs widely known already before I assumed power. So much for democracy that you would try to overthrow me, tut tut.

Lol I hope you're not serious. If you believe in Sharia, why not just go to somewhere like Saudi Arabia?

Quick Reply