The Student Room Group

If you were Prime Minister, what policies would you implement?

Scroll to see replies

Reduce taxation on goods and increase income tax for the "rich"
1) economic liberalisation; cut spending and lower taxes - make the taxation rate as flat as possible
2) social liberalisation - making use of the non-aggression principle to legalise all victimless acts
3) democratisation and federalisation - decrease the size of the government and increase the size of the voter
Make euthanasia legal, make Britain secular, lower tuition fees, just to name a few
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
It worked for the BNP, they went down the toilet after Nick Griffin was allowed on QT.

The exact example I was thinking of when I wrote it.
Original post by sleepysnooze
1) economic liberalisation; cut spending and lower taxes - make the taxation rate as flat as possible
2) social liberalisation - making use of the non-aggression principle to legalise all victimless acts
3) democratisation and federalisation - decrease the size of the government and increase the size of the voter

This would be great.

This would be quite good, but the thing is that a lot of people would complain about the NHS being made smaller.
Original post by Zamestaneh
If I was Prime Minister, it would have meant that I would have been elected/my beliefs widely known already before I assumed power. So much for democracy that you would try to overthrow me, tut tut.

Im sure the British people would understand
Assuming you can change anything without restrictions, I would change the voting system to make it fair for lesser known parties to grow. Right now it's just two parties who have chances to get into power alone (Labour and the Tories), and other parties like SNP, UKIP, Green and Lib Dems wont manage it. I'd make it so people are able to pick their top two, if there isn't a better term to use. I.e. if (and thats a strong if) a person desires, they could vote for both UKIP and the Green party, with each vote having the same amount of power. The only problem I've found is if people do not want to pick a second party, but still want the same power as everyone else. Voting twice for the same party wouldn't be fair, as it goes against what this system is for, and only having 1 vote means you've used half of your voting power.

Other thought is for a ranking system, i.e. entering your top 3 selections with number 1 having the most power and number 3 having the third most power (any not voted for have no power).
Original post by Trapz99
Lol I hope you're not serious. If you believe in Sharia, why not just go to somewhere like Saudi Arabia?

Is that a serious question? If you were given the choice of having the power to mold and reform society, or live as a civilian in a country you have no control over, which would you pick? If you had the choice to control a Muslim country would you introduce the reforms you wanted to make it secular and democratic, or would you simply refuse and go and live in Switzerland, for example?

I wouldn't agressively impose Shariah, rather it would be a phased transition and reformation of society progressively.
Step by step example to introduce over a number of years:
> Introduce higher taxes on alcohol
>> Use tax revenue and non-compliance fines to help pubs to diversify revenue streams away from alcohol.
>>> Introduce alcohol % content limits in drinks
>>>> Ban convicted/diagnosed alcoholics from purchasing alcohol
>>>>> Muslim majority areas will have alcohol bans i.e. no shops/pubs in the area serving alcohol.
>>>>>> Ban alcohol from academic institutions i.e. no university clubs/shops selling alcohol.

Reforms like these are not solely religious, rather they are for the wellbeing and betterment of society and public health - these reasons are more important than the liberty to choose to drink or not, or any economic benefits or tax revenue received from its sale.

What victimless acts?
Original post by 34908seikj
Ban alcohol and smoking. Or at least tax them even more heavily.

No thanks. None of those things are any business of the state.

Original post by Trapz99

2) Reduce all welfare spending except for disabled people. JSA should only be available for one year.

6) Defeat ISIS. Stop funding any groups in Syria or Iraq.

2 - so you want people unemployed for more than a year to starve to death or become homeless? Because that's the inevitable result of such a policy.

6 - what do you mean by "any" group? Surely we'll need to support those fighting ISIS, like the Iraqi army, Peshmerga and YPG/SDF? Or are you just referring to the US/UK policy or arming Syrian rebel groups?
Original post by Infamous*
Im sure the British people would understand

You'd have to be aggressively dealt with for treason :naughty:
I would cut benefits to create a more productive workforce, and abolish tuition fees to make higher education more accessible for students from lower income / disadvantaged backgrounds.
Original post by Lord Gaben
I would cut benefits to create a more productive workforce, and abolish tuition fees to make higher education more accessible for students from lower income / disadvantaged backgrounds.

So how would univeristys, y' know pay for ****? And also fund their research... Lower income people is still quite a significant proportion of the populous.
You'd have to be aggressively dealt with for treason :naughty:

It's not treason if I win:wink:
First thing, STOP THE ECONOMY.

REPLACE WITH RESOURCE BASED ECONOMY.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
No thanks. None of those things are any business of the state.

2 - so you want people unemployed for more than a year to starve to death or become homeless? Because that's the inevitable result of such a policy.

6 - what do you mean by "any" group? Surely we'll need to support those fighting ISIS, like the Iraqi army, Peshmerga and YPG/SDF? Or are you just referring to the US/UK policy or arming Syrian rebel groups?

2) They should find jobs. There are plenty of jobs available.
6) No. The US funded the Taliban during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. These groups will eventually turn on us or join IS. Several members of the FSA and Peshemrga are joining ISIS.
Original post by Infamous*
It's not treason if I win:wink:

You already told me before I even became PM (like right now), so I would purge you before you even attempted :colone:
Original post by 2016_GCSE
First thing, STOP THE ECONOMY.

REPLACE WITH RESOURCE BASED ECONOMY.

I found the genocider.
Is that a serious question? If you were given the choice of having the power to mold and reform society, or live as a civilian in a country you have no control over, which would you pick? If you had the choice to control a Muslim country would you introduce the reforms you wanted to make it secular and democratic, or would you simply refuse and go and live in Switzerland, for example?

I wouldn't agressively impose Shariah, rather it would be a phased transition and reformation of society progressively.
Step by step example to introduce over a number of years:
> Introduce higher taxes on alcohol
>> Use tax revenue and non-compliance fines to help pubs to diversify revenue streams away from alcohol.
>>> Introduce alcohol % content limits in drinks
>>>> Ban convicted/diagnosed alcoholics from purchasing alcohol
>>>>> Muslim majority areas will have alcohol bans i.e. no shops/pubs in the area serving alcohol.
>>>>>> Ban alcohol from academic institutions i.e. no university clubs/shops selling alcohol.

Reforms like these are not solely religious, rather they are for the wellbeing and betterment of society and public health - these reasons are more important than the liberty to choose to drink or not, or any economic benefits or tax revenue received from its sale.

So you want laws derived from Islam in a country where 96% of the people are not Muslim? Most people like drinking alcohol and the problems with it aren't that bad- alcohol is a part of the economy and our culture. I would reform the country's economy, not its culture and values.

Quick Reply

Latest