The Student Room Group

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
Anyone can do a second part-time STEM degree and get a tuition fee loan to pay for it; it doesn't matter if you've already done a STEM degree. But you won't be able to get a maintenance loan.

Thanks Snufkin, I'm trying to encourage my mother into doing her second degree as a STEM subject lol
But you said that medicine wasn't vocational and that you could identify that by the fact that you got a bachelors degree in the end, not an NVQ or the like. :s-smilie:

Regardless, the fact remains that a vocational degree is one that trains you in skills that lead directly lead to a vocation. Medicine included. It's high entry requirements mean nothing, save the fact it's immensely popular.
Original post by RowanB
But you said that medicine wasn't vocational and that you could identify that by the fact that you got a bachelors degree in the end, not an NVQ or the like. :s-smilie:

Regardless, the fact remains that a vocational degree is one that trains you in skills that lead directly lead to a vocation. Medicine included. It's high entry requirements mean nothing, save the fact it's immensely popular.

Why do you care so much about the opinion of some random TSR user on the status of medicine? Drop it now
I don't care as much as I thought it was totally confusing.
Reply 184
I think Medicine is vocational - I mean, you need work experience to show why you are interested in becoming a doctor right? Experience is key, not just academic performance. The reason why the grade requirements are pretty high is because competition for a place is fierce and the universities operate as a business. Therefore they will cater to the very best, as long as there name is recognised for being better than say another university who offers the same course. It's literally the same for any course because its simple demand/supply.

As demand increase/supply decreases < hence competition occurs and the by-product of this is higher entry requirements.
Because you keep banging on about it...

So let's see what an actual university medical lecturer says:
"You might think that the teaching content in a professional vocational degree like medicine...."
http://www.ed.ac.uk/staff/teaching-matters/features/engaging-the-professional-community-in-teaching-me

Or how about Aberdeen's prospectus:
"Medicine is a vocational course, one in which the student is trained to become a medical professional."
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree-programmes/796/A100/medicine-5-years/

Apology accepted :smile:
Medicine?
Original post by jneill
Because you keep banging on about it...

So let's see what an actual university medical lecturer says:
"You might think that the teaching content in a professional vocational degree like medicine...."
http://www.ed.ac.uk/staff/teaching-matters/features/engaging-the-professional-community-in-teaching-me

Or how about Aberdeen's prospectus:
"Medicine is a vocational course, one in which the student is trained to become a medical professional."
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree-programmes/796/A100/medicine-5-years/

Apology accepted :smile:

Alright, you win :tongue:

I admit defeat :wavingtheflag:

Original post by jneill
Medicine?

Unlikely, she wants to study entomology so probably something biological
:banana:

Unlikely, she wants to study entomology so probably something biological

Zoology? Cool. Wish her luck from some random TSR support team member :smile:
Original post by jneill
:banana:

Zoology? Cool. Wish her luck from some random TSR support team member :smile:

I'm the one in the family that wants to study Medicine haha

I will thank you :smile:
Seems like Universities only care about the $$ these days.
Original post by PQ
Tuition fee loans will be increased in line with fees - the only impact on the increase on applicants will be that they'll be repaying their student loans for a longer period of time.

The impact will be on someone like me, who as a grad going on to do medicine, has to pay for fees up front. No tuition fee loan for me. and I will already be struggling to pay £9000. If I have to pay £10000 in my fourth year I think I will be really struggling.
Well if you have a vocation you have to follow it :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyra1987
The impact will be on someone like me, who as a grad going on to do medicine, has to pay for fees up front. No tuition fee loan for me. and I will already be struggling to pay £9000. If I have to pay £10000 in my fourth year I think I will be really struggling.

You know about graduate entry medicine courses, right?
Not sure if already mentioned but I got an email from Univeristy of Surrey on 29th of June which stated they intend to raise fees to the new amount. It is my insurance choice and I'm pretty worried about it. Clearly majority of universities who can will raise fees and it will only get worse.
(edited 7 years ago)
Of course I do but like most grad entry medics you are limited in choice, have to sit entry exams, and have to apply based on chance of entry. Some universities are doing away with their 4 year courses.

I applied for 2 four year grad courses and 2 five year grad entry undergrad places.

I got a place on one of the 5 year year courses. I couldn't turn down a place on a 5 year course in hope that I would get a place on a 4 year course next time. But the 5 year grad places are self funded.
Next year's Eu students must be loving life rn considering the pound is so weak right now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyra1987
Of course I do but like most grad entry medics you are limited in choice, have to sit entry exams, and have to apply based on chance of entry. Some universities are doing away with their 4 year courses.

I applied for 2 four year grad courses and 2 five year grad entry undergrad places.

I got a place on one of the 5 year year courses. I couldn't turn down a place on a 5 year course in hope that I would get a place on a 4 year course next time. But the 5 year grad places are self funded.

Surely it's better to just try and do grad entry medicine and at least have a chance of doing medicine than do 5 year course and have no chance whatsoever because you can't pay for it?

There are still quite a few uni's that do grad entry medicine anyway
Original post by Guardianbright
Not sure if already mentioned but I got an email from Univeristy of Surrey on 29th of June which stated they intend to raise fees to the new amount. It is my insurance choice and I'm pretty worried about it. Clearly majority of universities who can will raise fees and it will only get worse.

Your loans will be also be higher. It's only a rise in line with inflation. It's not a major change...

Posted from TSR Mobile
To turn down a place would be madness given the competition ratios. Plenty of qualified people are rejected every year simply due to a lack of places. I would have to keep paying for and sitting the entry tests every year. The continued stress of applying, the disruption to family life and career would not be justified. I got lucky to get a place this year. I will be working throughout the academic year, but if the fees rise then I will have to work even more than I currently plan to. Which means less time to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending