The Student Room Group

What Career Can You Have With Economics?

I'm taking economics as an A level and I considering it as a degree in uni. But I'm not sure what career I can have with it. What careers can you have with economics and do you have to do maths as an a level to do it uni?
The types of careers that come to mind instantly are:

Chartered accountant.

Chartered certified accountant.

Chartered public finance accountant.

Economist.

Financial risk analyst.

Investment analyst.

Statistician.

Typically these people tend to hire people with a degree in Economics:

government departments and think tanks;

banks (high street and city);

insurance and accountancy firms;

consultancies;

charitable and non-profit organisations.

This article goes into depth and should answer a lot of your questions : http://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/careers-advice/what-can-you-do-economics-degree

Typically universities require mathematics at A Level. For example The University of Bath and Durham ask for A grade at A Level maths.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying. The website was a HUGE help and yeah I thought they would too but I don't think I will get the grade to do maths in my school. I'm hoping to go to LSE to do either Law, Business or Economics. Thanks for the help though :biggrin:

Original post by themosscrowd
The types of careers that come to mind instantly are:

Chartered accountant.

Chartered certified accountant.

Chartered public finance accountant.

Economist.

Financial risk analyst.

Investment analyst.

Statistician.

Typically these people tend to hire people with a degree in Economics:

government departments and think tanks;

banks (high street and city);

insurance and accountancy firms;

consultancies;

charitable and non-profit organisations.

This article goes into depth and should answer a lot of your questions : http://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/careers-advice/what-can-you-do-economics-degree

Typically universities require mathematics at A Level. For example The University of Bath and Durham ask for A grade at A Level maths.
Original post by Jawsomesauce35
Thanks for replying. The website was a HUGE help and yeah I thought they would too but I don't think I will get the grade to do maths in my school. I'm hoping to go to LSE to do either Law, Business or Economics. Thanks for the help though :biggrin:

It is no problem at all! Good luck with everything,, fingers crossed you get to LSE. :biggrin:
Economics is one of the most highly regarded degrees by employers. Regardless of whether you end up going into a related field or not, you'll gain a lot of skills that companies look for when hiring.
Reply 5
Original post by Hamo2509
Economics is one of the most highly regarded degrees by employers. Regardless of whether you end up going into a related field or not, you'll gain a lot of skills that companies look for when hiring.

That's why I wanted to take it because I don't know what career I want but I know it's something around that subject.
Do people with economics degrees typically get high starting salaries? And how hard is it to get a job?
Reply 6
Original post by themosscrowd
It is no problem at all! Good luck with everything,, fingers crossed you get to LSE. :biggrin:

Yeah I hope so too :biggrin:
Reply 7
That's why I wanted to take it because I don't know what career I want but I know it's something around that subject.
Do people with economics degrees typically get high starting salaries? And how hard is it to get a job?

On average, yes.

Competition will obviously be high. But if you go to a good uni, get as much work experience as possible, attend career days at various companies and get a good degree (2.1 or a First) - you should be good.
I'm taking economics as an A level and I considering it as a degree in uni. But I'm not sure what career I can have with it. What careers can you have with economics and do you have to do maths as an a level to do it uni?

Seriously, maybe you should take some time out to decide what you would like to do before doing a full degree? Don't be in a rush to go to uni.

I did a foundation degree before, but I started a real degree at 25 and it was the best decision i ever made (i was lucky to get funding).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by jblackmoustache
Seriously, maybe you should take some time out to decide what you would like to do before doing a full degree? Don't be in a rush to go to uni.

I did a foundation degree before, but I started a real degree at 25 and it was the best decision i ever made (i was lucky to get funding).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you're right I still have college to think about but I want the A-levels I choose to be helpful in whatever degree I do. That's why I'm considering couple of degrees which I could take in the future. But of course this could all change when the time comes. I don't want to rush either because I don't want to commit to anything I will regret later and if it comes down to it I might do a foundation degree like you because my sister did one and she said it's good.

Original post by jamestg
On average, yes.

Competition will obviously be high. But if you go to a good uni, get as much work experience as possible, attend career days at various companies and get a good degree (2.1 or a First) - you should be good.

Is the competion the roughly the same/higher than law? Do you recommend doing work experience for companies?
Yeah you're right I still have college to think about but I want the A-levels I choose to be helpful in whatever degree I do. That's why I'm considering couple of degrees which I could take in the future. But of course this could all change when the time comes. I don't want to rush either because I don't want to commit to anything I will regret later and if it comes down to it I might do a foundation degree like you because my sister did one and she said it's good.

Is the competion the roughly the same/higher than law? Do you recommend doing work experience for companies?

I'm a postgrad studying at PhD level at the moment and from looking back at my own experience and a lot of undergrads a lot coming straight from sixth from into uni simply aren't ready. They still have that 'school' mentality. They aren't ready for university.

When you go into uni you need to know what you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Law is probably more competitive.

Yes I do. Almost everyone has a degree, work experience is one of the ways you can get a foot in the door. It's not vital (well for some careers it is - IB), but it'll make things easier.
Reply 12
I'm a postgrad studying at PhD level at the moment and from looking back at my own experience and a lot of undergrads a lot coming straight from sixth from into uni simply aren't ready. They still have that 'school' mentality. They aren't ready for university.

When you go into uni you need to know what you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand, sixth forms can be suffocating at times that's why it's quite a big transition. What do you suppose I should do?
Apart from the usual careers, there are Unconventional careers with an economics degree:

Football: Arsene Wenger and Jens Lehmann
Modelling: Famke Janssen, Uni of Amsterdam
Body buidling: Arnold Schwarzenegger
Acting: Danny Glover
Music: Lionel Ritchie
I understand, sixth forms can be suffocating at times that's why it's quite a big transition. What do you suppose I should do?

Do some volunteering, get some experience outside of academia, maybe call some organisations and see if you can get a work shadow placement maybe (or even a placement)? See if finance / economics is something you really want to do.

Just don't go into uni if you don't know what you want to do. A lot of sixth formers come to uni not knowing what they want and expect to come to uni and be fed knowledge like they were in school. At uni it doesn't work like that. You're in charge of a lot of your own learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by jamestg
Law is probably more competitive.

Yes I do. Almost everyone has a degree, work experience is one of the ways you can get a foot in the door. It's not vital (well for some careers it is - IB), but it'll make things easier.

I figured law would be more competitive and I really want to do a work experience I just don't know where to look or how to apply but I guess I can just figure it out. Have you got any advice when it comes to work experience? If you don't then that's fine, I appreciate all the help :smile:
I figured law would be more competitive and I really want to do a work experience I just don't know where to look or how to apply but I guess I can just figure it out. Have you got any advice when it comes to work experience? If you don't then that's fine, I appreciate all the help :smile:

If you're in Y11, local law firms are best. I haven't properly looked into law work experience because I don't want to go down that route. However, some of the big law firms may do some kind of work experience.
Reply 17
Do some volunteering, get some experience outside of academia, maybe call some organisations and see if you can get a work shadow placement maybe (or even a placement)? See if finance / economics is something you really want to do.

Just don't go into uni if you don't know what you want to do. A lot of sixth formers come to uni not knowing what they want and expect to come to uni and be fed knowledge like they were in school. At uni it doesn't work like that. You're in charge of a lot of your own learning.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try to follow your advice when it comes to uni and be more reliant on myself than others. And yes I will do work experiences to help choose the degree/career I want. Thanks for the help :smile:

Original post by jamestg
If you're in Y11, local law firms are best. I haven't properly looked into law work experience because I don't want to go down that route. However, some of the big law firms may do some kind of work experience.

I'll see if I can find any law firms nearby, I live in the city so I don't think it would be hard. Yes I'm in year 11 so I'm worried that they might not take me in but I'll give it a shot. I'll do the same for Economics and see where it goes. I still have more than a month till school starts again so hopefully I get work experience this summer. So yeah I hope it goes well :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest