The Student Room Group

confused about quitting uni

i've just finished my first year at salford uni and i'm not gonna lie it was ****. It was no ones fault, i just didn't have a good time. I didn't make any friends, my anxiety became a lot worse and eventually got diagnosed with depression and prescribed anti depressants. I h a t e my course. I'm studying journalism. Some parts i enjoyed more than others, such as the digital side.
Uni made me depressed, i was isolated and lonely.
I said to my mum earlier that i wish i'd gone into work rather than uni. I just don't know what i want. You know that stage of confusion, you don't know how you really feel. I feel like that. September could be great, another fresh start or it could be just as bad.
I hate my uni but I love manchester, ugh :frown: For the past 5 months I've researched into social media marketing which is where I want to end up, and was thinking about doing an internship in that or something.
I just don't know what to do :/ does anyone have any advice on quitting uni or wrapping your head around what you want?
Original post by charchar96
-----

I hope someone can help you.

(quick note: As for the anti-depression pills - don't take them! I did, many years ago, and they made things worse for me !!! :frown: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay firstly, don't stop taking your meds like suggested above. If they're not working, speak to your doctor. You should never just quit a medication like that without consulting someone first. If you do decide to come off them for whatever reason, they help you do it properly to minimise issues.

Secondly, if you really don't like uni then maybe you can look into an internship or apprenticeship in social media marketing. There's actually plenty going, so that's a pretty good option. If you feel like studying in uni isn't for you and that you aren't getting the right things from it then maybe it's just not for you. Maybe you could have a word with your uni and see if you can take some time out to concentrate on your mental health and you can take that time to think through things.
i've just finished my first year at salford uni and i'm not gonna lie it was ****. It was no ones fault, i just didn't have a good time. I didn't make any friends, my anxiety became a lot worse and eventually got diagnosed with depression and prescribed anti depressants. I h a t e my course. I'm studying journalism. Some parts i enjoyed more than others, such as the digital side.
I said to my mum earlier that i wish i'd gone into work rather than uni. I just don't know what i want. You know that stage of confusion, you don't know how you really feel. I feel like that. September could be great, another fresh start or it could be just as bad.
I hate my uni but I love manchester, ugh :frown: For the past 5 months I've researched into social media marketing which is where I want to end up, and was thinking about doing an internship in that or something.
I just don't know what to do :/ does anyone have any advice on quitting uni or wrapping your head around what you want?

Uni isn't right for everyone and there is nothing wrong with doing an internship so I would say talk to your doctor/academic adviser about it and then apply to an internship you could even look for one in Manchester
Reply 4
Stay and finish your degree. The world of work isn't some holy grail where you're guaranteed to make friends and have a great time. Like you say, you don't know what you want and after a year of work you might even find yourself in a similar spot - yet at the mercy of minimum wage and a whimsical job market where there is no guarantee of job security, especially for non-academics. How likely do you think you are to get a job in your chosen field given that those very same jobs will be getting filled by people who graduated with a good degree. University is all about what you make it so if you want to make friends then talk to people and find people with similar interests, you might think you're incredibly unique but you're not and there will be people who like and hate same thing as you.
Reply 5
Original post by UCLScienceMan365
I hope someone can help you.

(quick note: As for the anti-depression pills - don't take them! I did, many years ago, and they made things worse for me !!! :frown: )

Just because they didn't work for you - or me - you shouldn't tell other people not to take them. It's trial and error.

If your meds aren't working, go back to your doctors.

I would go about having a meeting with an advisor at your uni and exploring all options. If you do continue at uni I would look into DSA to help the academic side of things.
Reply 6

I'll give you the same advice my course tutor gave me - take a gap year. Defer your year now (before September so you're still counted as a first year) which will give you some time to think about what you want. If you do do this, the most important part is to do something with your year. I was in a similar situation last summer (but second year), so I took a year out and got a placement. That counted as my third year, but the same applies for you - you could take a break and do a part-time course or get an internship or even just a few weeks work experience. Then, after the year, if you want to go back to uni you can do that. If not you can look at other unis or look into getting more experience.

Also, you should talk to your course tutor about this. I'm sure even though it's summer they'll be around to provide some support, even if its just an email.
Airmed
---

charchar96
---

To Airmed, charchar96,
no, what I said was specifically in the context of what charchar96 said because she obviously had other problems which would not have been solved by just taking antidepressant pills, but rather it would be more important for her to deal directly with the issues which made her feel depressed in the first place. I’ve worked with young people in psychiatry a long time so I know a lot about that almost every time when they identify for themselves the causes of their problems, the drugs don’t help. But yes, i agree I should not have used an imperative phrase; and that she should consult her doctor(s) about this, not me or anyone on TSR.

to charchar96,
As for my advice for the other issues: I actually agree with Airmed and the others, when they say you should discuss this with various tutors/mentors at your uni, and then to learn about all available options, and work hard at doing things that are worthy and fulfilling for you, for the short term and longer term.
Best wishes
Reply 8
Original post by UCLScienceMan365
To Airmed, charchar96,
no, what I said was specifically in the context of what charchar96 said because she obviously had other problems which would not have been solved by just taking antidepressant pills, but rather it would be more important for her to deal directly with the issues which made her feel depressed in the first place. I’ve worked with young people in psychiatry a long time so I know a lot about that almost every time when they identify for themselves the causes of their problems, the drugs don’t help. But yes, i agree I should not have used an imperative phrase; and that she should consult her doctor(s) about this, not me or anyone on TSR.

to charchar96,
As for my advice for the other issues: I actually agree with Airmed and the others, when they say you should discuss this with various tutors/mentors at your uni, and then to learn about all available options, and work hard at doing things that are worthy and fulfilling for you, for the short term and longer term.
Best wishes

Antidepressants can work well with therapy.
Original post by Airmed
Antidepressants can work well with therapy.

yes, antidepressants + therapy + a well-balanced lifestyle with intellectual & psychological support from friends, family, teachers, tutors, etc,... and being given the right opportunities to do great fulfilling things in one's studies/life/career!

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest