The Student Room Group

Online dating websites

Have you been on one? What was your experience like? Did you find someone you liked on one?
I have used them but they are no longer for me. The people were looking for different things to what I was and I found it quite distressing.
Original post by Anonymous
Have you been on one? What was your experience like? Did you find someone you liked on one?

i have used them before and found some good people
not life partners but certainly worthwhile for a short while
The whole thing seemed to be dependent on the snappyness of the one line message. Aint got no time for dat
Original post by Angel83
I have used them but they are no longer for me. The people were looking for different things to what I was and I found it quite distressing.

Translation: Every guy that messaged me was just looking for a quick shag.
Original post by DivineEnergy
The whole thing seemed to be dependent on the snappyness of the one line message. Aint got no time for dat

Most women just use online dating for attention & validation. They dont really need online dating to meet guys / have guys hit on them
Original post by Esoteric-
Translation: Every guy that messaged me was just looking for a quick shag.

Besides that, some just want someone to talk to about their exes.
Original post by Esoteric-
Most women just use online dating for attention & validation. They dont really need online dating to meet guys / have guys hit on them

Nor do they seem to need clubs either.

The thing that puzzles me is where on our earth all our single mothers are organising their 'get togethers' in the first place.
Reply 8
I used to try PoF and asiandate.com website last year. Both sites are quite reliable, I met no scammers there. I had a few successful dates set via those services. Though, none of them led to serious relationships. Who knows... maybe one day I'll try them again:smile:
They're lame. Most of the girls in my area have no personality ("Blah blah messed around", "blah blah I like Netflix") and have stupid standards. Men are no better but obviously that's no concern of mine.

Keep them active on the off chance a gem comes along, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Always better to meet someone in person. :smile:
Joined up to one, well more of a chat site in December of last year - with no intentions of ever meeting anyone from there in person and was just looking for a chat (the idea of meeting someone from the internet was just weird/odd/slightly terrifying to me) but I was upfront about that.

BUT then in January I signed up to a "dating site" again wasn't actually intending on meeting anyone (was upfront about it).. I just wanted to see what kind of guys were out there. On the second day of being on there I stumbled across this guy - I inniated contact (which I hadn't done previously with anyone else), talked every day for about 10 days, met up and have been together for over 6 months now and things seem to be going pretty good.

I think online dating can be very hit and miss and its hard to judge someone's character through text - but if you put in the effort and I guess nurture the conversation, and persevere you could find someone worthwhile.
Well I'm currently in an almost 2 year relationship with my boyfriend who I met on okcupid...so can say I'm a success story!

Online dating sites are great, its just knowing that you have to be a lot more careful as you haven't met this person (i.e. if you did, do it in a public place....our first date was lasted 11 hours in Birmingham, was pretty good!) whilst also establishing what both of you want from this, i.e. a quick shag or something more meaningful!
our first date was lasted 11 hours in Birmingham, was pretty good!)

That's pretty impressive, was that planned at all? What did you do?
Too many women describing how they are tired of men messing them around (stay away from these), moaning about pervs (which to be fair online dating is filled with pervs and idiots) and generally coming across as negative *****es who think they are gods gift. i wouldn't want to meet them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Nope never planned, just ended up that way! We met at around 11am and said goodbye at around 10pm. He did something quite interesting and sent me ideas for 5 restaurants beforehand and asked me to pick which one we should go to without telling him and then we went there for lunch on the day! During the day we had lunch there, did a bit of shopping (needed to do some Christmas shopping!) and a coffee, then went to see Interstellar at the cinema. We then decided to have a nice walk around the city centre etc, then have a small bite to eat for dinner followed by drinks at Turtle Bay and other places in the evening. It was quite a nice day weatherwise which probably helped but we got to know each other quite well for a first date :smile:
Reply 15
I'd much rather meet someone in person tbh. Never used one
I used Tinder and OKCupid for about 18 months and it was tough and nearly destroyed me. I didn't find what I was looking for on them, however I learned a lot from my experiences and that helped me find someone in the real world so it was somewhat successful.
Nope never planned, just ended up that way! We met at around 11am and said goodbye at around 10pm. He did something quite interesting and sent me ideas for 5 restaurants beforehand and asked me to pick which one we should go to without telling him and then we went there for lunch on the day! During the day we had lunch there, did a bit of shopping (needed to do some Christmas shopping!) and a coffee, then went to see Interstellar at the cinema. We then decided to have a nice walk around the city centre etc, then have a small bite to eat for dinner followed by drinks at Turtle Bay and other places in the evening. It was quite a nice day weatherwise which probably helped but we got to know each other quite well for a first date :smile:

That sounds amazing, lovely. :smile: Shame I can't find anyone to do that with haha

Quick Reply

Latest