The Student Room Group

Stopped being vegetarian, friend acting weird

I'm a girl and one of my friends has literally stopped talking to me since I have been eating meat.

Contact stopped after I ate meat in front of her in which she felt disgusted throughout.
Reply 1
Ok. What are you actually asking though?
Reply 2
Original post by Nadile
Ok. What are you actually asking though?

Nothing, just checking whether this was expected from most people.
Eat whatever you want. You don't need a friend who judges you and cuts contact for simply eating meat.
Reply 4
You could say she's a..

Chicken.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Nothing, just checking whether this was expected from most people.

Original post by truly unruly
Eat whatever you want. You don't need a friend who judges you and cuts contact for simply eating meat.

It's up to her to decide what she values more, whether it's friendship or her own morals. If she strongly believes eating meat is wrong then it's fair enough for that to be a criteria when she is choosing friends. Honestly that's the way people should go about things. Often people will see something as wrong, but when a loved one does it then it's ok. She on the other hand is consistent and isn't making exceptions just because she likes someone.
Obviously its her choice but I wouldn't do this personally. However strongly I feel about animal welfare, we live in a society where the majority of people eat meat & I realize that not everyone is going to share my moral views so its not something I'd want to fall out with people over. How I react to people who eat meat really depends on how they react to my choice to be vegetarian. If they don't bring it up then I won't either. If they're curious to know why I'm veggie I'll explain what I think & suggest maybe they do a bit of research into how animals are treated & if someone wants to criticize or insult me for being vegetarian then I'll feel free to have a full on argument with them.
Reply 7
It's your choice if you want to eat meat, just as much as it's her choice to distance herself from you if she doesn't approve of your decision.
Reply 8
Tell her for every day she doesn't talk to you another animal gets eaten!
Original post by UWS
You could say she's a..

Chicken.

Log out.
Reply 10
Original post by mercuryman
Log out.

TSR is too addicting for that I'm afraid :u:
Original post by UWS
TSR is too addicting for that I'm afraid :u:

I suppose so. :u:

Quick Reply