The Student Room Group

Higher English essays word count?

I know the max is 1300 and I've read the min is 650. I've got 900 on my personal, I'm hoping to get it up to at least 1100 but I'm just dragging it out really lol. Is that reasonable? What is usually expected?
About 10% below is ok but more than that I would worry about covering everything expected. Have a think of what is being asked and whether you've covered everything in a clear enough manner and made your argument well.
Original post by jj1814
I know the max is 1300 and I've read the min is 650. I've got 900 on my personal, I'm hoping to get it up to at least 1100 but I'm just dragging it out really lol. Is that reasonable? What is usually expected?
Your discursive essay should be pretty close to the 1300 limit (like 1150 +), but the creative/personal reflective could be anything from about 900 upwards. Don't sacrifice the quality of your personal essay to get more words and definitely don't ramble. Source: Sat higher English in May and this was the advice from my teacher who marks higher English papers for the SQA. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jj1814

I've just finished writing mine and it's 850. I don't know what to add to it either so I'm just going to leave it be (In my experience rambling on when you don't need to is never appreciated.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending