The Student Room Group

ADHD: whats it like for you? Anything that can help?

I have ADHD and I find even the smallest of tasks hell. I cant sit still for very long, I cant sleep, I don't eat a lot, I cant concentrate for very long either. I hate it. I'm on medication but it doesn't work very well. has anyone got any ideas on thins that could help. what is your experience with ADHD?
Right up your street lass :wink:
Ask for a different medication or increase. Meds have really helped me with my symptoms.
Exercise
Structuring things/planning
I dont have much time since im at busy. But yh i get medicine for my ADHD, but it doesn't really help much. I get 30 minutes extra in exams too and a room. Um yeah its hell
Exercise is extremely important, you need to exhaust that extra energy.

I was on medication but I didnt like the side effects, I would rather live my life the way I am, learn and adapt :smile:

Take up a sport or martial arts
Reply 6
I found loads of youtube channels that can offer advice and coping strategies.

I find "How to ADHD" really helpful as she keeps videos short and interesting.
Original post by WolfGangPro
Exercise is extremely important, you need to exhaust that extra energy.

I was on medication but I didnt like the side effects, I would rather live my life the way I am, learn and adapt :smile:

Take up a sport or martial arts

I agree with WolfGangPro.

I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a child. I was medicated for a couple of years, but the side effects gave me terrible headaches and all my doctors did was increase the dose, which made my headaches worse. Eventually I decided to give up on medication... and I do not regret my decision. I took up Taekwondo as a sport which tired me out a lot and burnt lots of energy. Unfortunately I injured myself at a competition 7 years later and I had to put a stop to it, just to take up archery later on, a sport I thrive at. Keep yourself busy, tire yourself out, go to the gym. When I am in class, I have a small, soft ball that fits in the palm of my hand and I silently play with it. Otherwise I find it very hard to concentrate, but it works, at least for me.

Quick Reply

Latest