The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for a Student Loan?

Hello,I have recently decided to attend University next year and have started my application process through UCAS. I wanted to find out if I am eligible for a Student Loan; I was born in Wales so I have a valid UK Passport, however I have never actually lived in the UK (although I do visit my family - who live there and are citizens - almost every year) and have completed my High School education overseas. My mother is Welsh and has not lived in the UK for the past 20 years.I have looked through a load of websites and I know you are only eligible for a Student Loan if "you have been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course." But I haven't.Is there anyway around this? Or is there another way I could apply for a Student Loan? Or are there any other options that I could look at?Any help given will be greatly appreciated.
If you live in the EU you can get student loans, if you live outside the EU then you can't (and you will have to pay international fees which are much higher). There is no way around this. Where are you living and why don't you want to study there?
Ok thank you very much for your help. I live in Malawi and there aren't any good University's here.
Original post by hadfira araru
Ok thank you very much for your help. I live in Malawi and there aren't any good University's here.

If you can't afford to study in the UK then you should consider elsewhere in Europe. Many countries (Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark etc) have English-taught degrees. If you have an EU passport then you should quality for home fees (which are either very low or non-existent).
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
If you can't afford to study in the UK then you should consider elsewhere in Europe. Many countries (Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark etc) have English-taught degrees. If you have an EU passport then you should quality for home fees (which are either very low or non-existent).

And, cough, Ireland :wink:
Original post by jneill
And, cough, Ireland :wink:

Ireland has fairly high fees now, doesn't it?
Reply 6
Original post by Snufkin
Ireland has fairly high fees now, doesn't it?

€3k - Student Contribution is payable. But the Tuition Fee is still assessed as free.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending