The Student Room Group

Would North Korea ever reunite with South Korea?

Do you think it would ever be a possibility that this could happen in the future? Would it have global repercussions?

If not global, then surely it would have regional ones? If you combined the army from the North with the technology of the South they would become a formidable country.

Should this thinking simply be reserved for the realms of fiction?
Original post by PugDevil
Do you think it would ever be a possibility that this could happen in the future? Would it have global repercussions?

If not global, then surely it would have regional ones? If you combined the army from the North with the technology of the South they would become a formidable country.

Should this thinking simply be reserved for the realms of fiction?

I understand what you mean. If Korea ever became one country again. Keep them out of any World Wars, otherwise we will all die. At the moment, I think that would be wishful thinking about North/South Korea joining.
Reply 2
Original post by Mvine001
I understand what you mean. If Korea ever became one country again. Keep them out of any World Wars, otherwise we will all die. At the moment, I think that would be wishful thinking about North/South Korea joining.

It's kind of similar to a plot that was in the video game Homefront, where a unified Korea attacks the United States. Would be a scary prospect :afraid:But yes, I don't see it for some time. Think it would take a nation-wide revolution for them to want to join the South again.
Original post by PugDevil
It's kind of similar to a plot that was in the video game Homefront, where a unified Korea attacks the United States. Would be a scary prospect :afraid:But yes, I don't see it for some time. Think it would take a nation-wide revolution for them to want to join the South again.

Meh. Fair point.
Reply 4
I think it will happen one day, a united Korea. But it is not without its problems, I'm sure the North Korean regime won't fall without a bang, they will most surely at least destroy themselves before they let the americans and south korea "imperialists" on their soil.

You will have this initial problem of one side of the country being extremely poor and the other side rich, so both economies will be hit hard. The south koreans will have to figure out how to feed another 20-30 million people, how to get the power generation centralised, how to get the phone networks centralised.

Asian markets would initially crash on the turmoil, people moving money to the safe havens of the US and western europe. But a reunited korea would cause a massive rally, another 20-30 million people become productive to the world all of a sudden, though making them accept that the world is good and north korea was a lie will be hard initially.

Korea would grow to be an economy on par with Japan, a real powerhouse.
Original post by fg45344
I think it will happen one day, a united Korea. But it is not without its problems, I'm sure the North Korean regime won't fall without a bang, they will most surely at least destroy themselves before they let the americans and south korea "imperialists" on their soil.

You will have this initial problem of one side of the country being extremely poor and the other side rich, so both economies will be hit hard. The south koreans will have to figure out how to feed another 20-30 million people, how to get the power generation centralised, how to get the phone networks centralised.

Asian markets would initially crash on the turmoil, people moving money to the safe havens of the US and western europe. But a reunited korea would cause a massive rally, another 20-30 million people become productive to the world all of a sudden, though making them accept that the world is good and north korea was a lie will be hard initially.

Korea would grow to be an economy on par with Japan, a real powerhouse.

I think that it'll be a united Korea with China. That would be an even bigger powerhouse.
Reply 6
I think that it'll be a united Korea with China. That would be an even bigger powerhouse.

The US would never let that happen. US protects Japan and Korea, so China don't decide just to invade them and take over.
Original post by fg45344
The US would never let that happen. US protects Japan and Korea, so China don't decide just to invade them and take over.

US want everything for themselves. That's why my idea is apparently a stupid one.
Reply 8
US want everything for themselves. That's why my idea is apparently a stupid one.

America runs the world.

If their financial system went down, it would send the world into a recession worse than the great depression.

And the world has faith in america, when people invest, they have more faith in US stocks than they do in local ones. People trust the US dollar more than their local currency.
Original post by fg45344
America runs the world.

If their financial system went down, it would send the world into a recession worse than the great depression.

And the world has faith in america, when people invest, they have more faith in US stocks than they do in local ones. People trust the US dollar more than their local currency.

Where's your proof that America rules the world? I don't have faith in America. I trust the British pound!
Reply 10
Where's your proof that America rules the world? I don't have faith in America. I trust the British pound!

The US economy is $17 trillion of the world's GDP, compared to 2-3 trillion for the UK. The world's biggest corporations are american....

Apple, Coca Cola, Visa, Wal-Mart, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Disney, Microsoft, Intel, Boeing

^^ This is essentially the Dow 30, some of the 30 of the largest corporations trading on american exchanges.

US Dollar is the world's reserve currency. If I go into a war zone I take US dollars and gold with me, no one, and I mean no one in the world will refuse US dollars.

US Dollar is the most widely held foreign reserve currency, US treasury bills (short terms) are adopted as the risk free rate in finance. If the US can't pay its debt, no one can. America runs the world.
Original post by fg45344
The US economy is $17 trillion of the world's GDP, compared to 2-3 trillion for the UK. The world's biggest corporations are american....

Apple, Coca Cola, Visa, Wal-Mart, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Disney, Microsoft, Intel, Boeing

^^ This is essentially the Dow 30, some of the 30 of the largest corporations trading on american exchanges.

US Dollar is the world's reserve currency. If I go into a war zone I take US dollars and gold with me, no one, and I mean no one in the world will refuse US dollars.

US Dollar is the most widely held foreign reserve currency, US treasury bills (short terms) are adopted as the risk free rate in finance. If the US can't pay its debt, no one can. America runs the world.

They would prefer it if they could just govern the entire planet, like the useless slobs they are.
Reply 12
They would prefer it if they could just govern the entire planet, like the useless slobs they are.

They do govern the planet pretty much. They say when america sneezes, the world catches a cold. Look at 2008, sub prime lending lead to the whole world on its knees.

There are some very smart people in America and America will continue to attract talent. Just thing of all the amazing tech companies that have come out of silicon valley, Facebook, Apple, Google etc.

You can ask any investor, which country they have absolute faith in, that is the US. If the US fails, we are screwed. They are too big to fail.
Original post by fg45344
They do govern the planet pretty much. They say when america sneezes, the world catches a cold. Look at 2008, sub prime lending lead to the whole world on its knees.

There are some very smart people in America and America will continue to attract talent. Just thing of all the amazing tech companies that have come out of silicon valley, Facebook, Apple, Google etc.

You can ask any investor, which country they have absolute faith in, that is the US. If the US fails, we are screwed. They are too big to fail.

They will, given time. You wait.
It depends how Korea is unified. If the North marches South then they'll be one hell of a bloody conflict. South Korea has more sophisticated weapons, better technology, a far better economy & has guaranteed protection from the USA.
North Korea has numbers on its side, fanatical devotion, years of preparation (bunkers & tunnels dug deep into hills/mountains) & it also has WMDs. NK would have to catch SK (and America) unprepared & use their full military might & WMDs to completely take the South. They'd also have to have at least implicit support from either Russia or China to keep them resupplied.
I can't see the North winning the war but through the use of WMDs & fanatical fighting I do think it'd be chaos. With the element of surprise, NK could surround Seoul but urban fighting is tough. They'd struggle to take it, especially if SK reserves are flooding into the battle & American forces are beginning to arrive.
Basically, if the North goes South, I expect the South to win & possibly push on to reunite the whole country; it'll be a bloodbath though, especially if NK uses WMDs on Seoul.

Another possibility is that North Korea falls apart due to internal factions all competing for power. It could turn into a civil war which then means SK acts in order to secure WMDs & possibly to reunite the Koreas with American backing.

The Chinese could prove decisive - from what I gather, they like North Korea as a buffer state to stop themselves being bordered by a nation friendly to the USA. Although they might not interfere in the same way Mao's forces did in the Korean War, I'd be surprised if they simply allowed South Korean (& possibly US troops) up to their border.

To summarise: it really does depend on how reunification is achieved. If it's by a bloody conflict with the use of WMDs then it'll take both the North and South years to recover.
Even if it's a less intense conflict then South Korea won't instantly be able to assimilate the North's population into its economy. I'd say that NK is in a worst state than East Germany was in 1989. It took time for the German economy to handle reunification but now it's a powerful economy. Given time a reunified Korea under the control of the democratic government in Seoul could become a bigger player. However, I do think that Korea would cut back on defence spending after this although perhaps not totally due to its proximity to China.
(edited 7 years ago)
will north korea (as in the DPRK) collapse eventually? yep
but will its ruins unite with the unruined south? maybe, maybe not
why would south korea want to be included with such a wasteland like NK?
it would be like a parallel world where england unified with scotland to create a UK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending