The Student Room Group

Miami police shoot caretaker of autistic man playing with toy truck in the street

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Opinion
There were plenty of wars.

Also, during times of peace, they were living separately, Egyptians were not in Greece, Greeks were not in Egypt etc., mixing does not work and it never will.

Lots of Greeks were in Egypt. In fact, most of Greece's top mathematicians, e.g. Pythagoras, were born and taught in Alexandria, which brought scholars from all around the world.
Original post by oShahpo
Lots of Greeks were in Egypt. In fact, most of Greece's top mathematicians, e.g. Pythagoras, were born and taught in Alexandria, which brought scholars from all around the world.
Isolated examples don't represent the dorm.
Original post by The_Opinion
Isolated examples don't represent the dorm.

My knowledge of history is as good as my knowledge of arcane magic, so I don't know if there were other examples.
Why the **** did they do that?????????????????????????
Original post by AlifunArnab
The US army is similar to their police, with the only difference being that the army have a variety of weapons to brutally kill civilians in other countries.

I do hear the US army is terrible. My dad met an Iraqi refugee years ago (who fled Iraq after Bush invaded Iraq), and was talking about how the US army were terrible and treated every Iraqi like ****. Whereas, he was full of praise of the British Army, and how they treated the Iraqi people with respect and actually helped them.
Reply 25
Original post by Lord Samosa
What frustrates me is people trying to justify this stuff every time the US police do this. Surely it's in the best interest of Americans to want to reform the police so they're more competent and actually do their job properly. Why keep defending them? Punish the ones who can't do their job properly (who ruin the reputation for the ones who just want to protect people and do their job)

Not to mention the amount of US tax payers money wasted on useless policemen, the money spent on the PR disaster that occurs and money spent on dealing with protests that follow. Money that could be better spent on dealing with bigger issues, like armed robberies, school shooters, terrorist threats etc.

There is a difference between reform and calling the entire police racist like BLM do.

It's my understanding that the city have admitted he messed up and they will take action.
Maybe the policemen are under pressure to hit targets for number of arrests so they then go to minority areas who are most vulneble and do weird **** like this.

I saw a video of an officer going into a black mans home and making an arrest. They never ****ing say why they are making the arrest :/
Reply 27
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Many say that, but I am yet to see it proved.
The fact that black people are disproportionately killed by police in the US can be explained by the fact that they commit a disproportionate amount of crimes in the US. Are the police sexist for disproportionately killing men? No, it is simply the case that men commit a disproportionate amount of crimes. Obviously there are situations like this, where there isn't even a crime to talk of, and they are awful, but they are individual situations and prove nothing general.
Intuitively, I feel that at least some of these killings are probably racially motivated, and that historical racial tensions may well carry over to future generations and, yes, potentially lead to some kind of institutional problem. But I'm not going to assume that that intuitive feeling is right on faith.

A study that looked closer at police killings found there was no racial disparity.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Maybe the policemen are under pressure to hit targets for number of arrests so they then go to minority areas who are most vulneble and do weird **** like this.

I saw a video of an officer going into a black mans home and making an arrest. They never ****ing say why they are making the arrest :/

Best point in this thread so far.
Reply 29

So you saw a video of an arrest and assume it is racist?

Or they go to high crime areas and respond to crime.
Original post by joecphillips

I havent said that anythings racist, how am i meant to know i cant read the officers mind.

I also saw a video a few months ago where minority police offcers spoke out about the NYPD being harsh to officers who dont make quotas for arrest, so they purposefully go to poorer more vulneble areas. The officers took the NYPD to court and I wont be suprised if there is corruption higher up in the police force.

Im just putting forward ideas to this thread
Reply 31
I havent said that anythings racist, how am i meant to know i cant read the officers mind.

I also saw a video a few months ago where minority police offcers spoke out about the NYPD being harsh to officers who dont make quotas for arrest, so they purposefully go to poorer more vulneble areas. The officers took the NYPD to court and I wont be suprised if there is corruption higher up in the police force.

Im just putting forward ideas to this thread

There is a huge difference between going to high crime areas and stopping crime even if it's to boost numbers and targeting minority's.
There is a huge difference between going to high crime areas and stopping crime even if it's to boost numbers and targeting minority's.

Yeah but all the time on social media we see police brutality for stuff like running past a red light,selling CDs,Selling tobacco, and at times the police officer doesnt even tell the individual why they are being arrested. Smh

Did you read?

"“and the officer discharged, trying to strike and stop the white male, and unfortunately, he missed.”"

:lol: this all the way. Not saying there haven't been unjustified killings at the hands of cops but people seem to forget the cops are responding to crime. They're defending criminals off the basis of colour, the hypocrites :toofunny:
Original post by 0to100
Did you read?

"“and the officer discharged, trying to strike and stop the white male, and unfortunately, he missed.”"

The autistic white male, who clearly had a toy truck in his hand. After being reassured that he's autistic and is unarmed by his carer.
Reply 36
Yeah but all the time on social media we see police brutality for stuff like running past a red light,selling CDs,Selling tobacco, and at times the police officer doesnt even tell the individual why they are being arrested. Smh

You still running with the police responded to Alton sterling selling cd lie?
Original post by Lord Samosa
The autistic white male, who clearly had a toy truck in his hand. After being reassured that he's autistic and is unarmed by his carer.

:nothing: do you seriously think (and keeping in mind there are nonwhite officers) that there is some conspiracy going around, like a written oath or something, demanding officers kill black people :nothing:

It's the individual who is racist who happens to be a cop, and that's what people are afraid to tackle. The culturally indoctrinated racism in America. Because it's a losing battle to argue mentality :rolleyes: BLM is thought police and they don't even know it.

The true issue is legislature protecting cops despite reckless behaviour. People also are afraid to discuss that as well because unfortunately for them they're not educated enough to bother. So they just scream about police brutality lol There's no police brutality issue :lol:. There's nothing that says, "each cop is allowed to kill a black, and each cop must kill a black eventually." So why fight the general police force? lmao. They're screaming in vain, wishing to accomplish what? Taking the piss that's what.

The only solution is in case the cop does something stupid, that they are punished, whether it was an accident or not, whether race was involved or not, because in law no one is even tried by motive because that's impossible to conclude. They are only tried by their charges and proof of those indictments with investigation and testimonies in court, obviously. The issue shouldn't be racism but how it's dealt with. No one gets that, I cba :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 0to100
:nothing: do you seriously think (and keeping in mind there are nonwhite officers) that there is some conspiracy going around, like a written oath or something, demanding officers kill black people :nothing:

It's the individual who is racist who happens to be a cop, and that's what people are afraid to tackle. The culturally indoctrinated racism in America. Because it's a losing battle to argue mentality :rolleyes: BLM is thought police and they don't even know it.

The true issue is legislature protecting cops despite reckless behaviour. People also are afraid to discuss that as well because unfortunately for them they're not educated enough to bother. So they just scream about police brutality lol There's no police brutality issue :lol:. There's nothing that says, "each cop is allowed to kill a black, and each cop must kill a black eventually." So why fight the general police force? lmao. They're screaming in vain, wishing to accomplish what? Taking the piss that's what.

The only solution is in case the cop does something stupid, that they are punished, whether it was an accident or not, whether race was involved or not, because in law no one is even tried by motive because that's impossible to conclude. They are only tried by their charges and proof of those indictments with investigation and testimonies in court, obviously. The issue shouldn't be racism but how it's dealt with. No one gets that, I cba :lol:

They tried shooting a white autistic man... I thinks that's enough reason to complain about how incompetent the US police are. It's just more ridiculous when try to defend them when they do reckless **** like this.

It only fuels the BLM movement, that wouldn't be there if the US police force weren't so reckless.
(edited 7 years ago)
The problem lies with police doctrine, the emphasis should be placed upon the value of life and the deescalation of violent scenarios rather than enforcing compliance.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending