The Student Room Group

Travelling far distances to and from school/sixth form/college on public transport

Hi!

I am starting college in September to study my A Levels in a place that is quite far away from home and which nobody from my school is going to (this is completely my choice). I wanted to hear other people's experiences with travelling to and from college on the train that is quite far away, since this is something I will be doing.

So, this is what my journey will roughly look like:

- A 20 minute walk to my local train station (or 10 minute bike ride if I'm feeling it)
- A 10 minute train journey into town
- Around 10-15 minutes waiting for my next train
- A 20 minute train journey to my college's station
- A 2 minute walk from the station to the college

So, all in all it will be around an hour to an hour and a quarter - which doesn't seem to long in comparison to other people's journeys. However, I currently go to a school that takes me three minutes to walk there, so for me it will be quite a difference.

So,

How did you find it?
Did you find that you were tired at the end of each day?
Did you find use of your train journeys, eg. typing up an essay on the train?
Since it's usually rush hour, did this bother you at all?
Did you ever find yourself becoming travel sick?

If anybody could share their experience, I would be very grateful!

Thank you all
I traveled an hour and a half each way by bus to uni for three years and I managed. I didn't do work on the bus because it's too hard to write on it since it moves round corners and stuff, but I imagine the train will be a lot easier! I used my time on the bus to just relax so that I'd be ready to do my work when I got home. I never felt travel sick.
Mine was a 15 minute walk to the train station, then a 25 minute train journey then a 30 minute walk to my school as there were no buses, so all together it took just over an hour on a good day, but the walk was terrible as it went uphill. The friends I made the journey with had to get two trains and their total journey was close to two hours. At the start of the year I was so tired and sweaty by the time we got to school and I'd be starving as soon as I got home so I'd eat a massive meal and then take a nap and stay up at night to do homework. Doing work on the train was rarely idea unless I got the earlier train as the peak time train was full of school kids and SO noisy. During exam season I'd wake up earlier to get the mostly empty early train at 6 something in the morning which was relaxing. I eventually got used to the journey after two years and can now walk long distances without really getting tired. I never really got travel sick but did fall asleep on the train a few times and once missed my stop.
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17
I traveled an hour and a half each way by bus to uni for three years and I managed. I didn't do work on the bus because it's too hard to write on it since it moves round corners and stuff, but I imagine the train will be a lot easier! I used my time on the bus to just relax so that I'd be ready to do my work when I got home. I never felt travel sick.

See, I could get one bus ride and it would take about the same time as it would on a train, but I feel as though a train has a better environment if that makes sense? Like, there aren't that many chavs that sit on the back of the train. Around the time that I will be using the train there will mainly be businessmen and stuff so I think that would be better. However, my plan is to make the most out of my time on public transport probably on Quizlet or just reading through my notes and I know you said you used it to relax but I would feel so guilty wasting that much time a day. Idk I think that's just me.
Original post by csutton
See, I could get one bus ride and it would take about the same time as it would on a train, but I feel as though a train has a better environment if that makes sense? Like, there aren't that many chavs that sit on the back of the train. Around the time that I will be using the train there will mainly be businessmen and stuff so I think that would be better. However, my plan is to make the most out of my time on public transport probably on Quizlet or just reading through my notes and I know you said you used it to relax but I would feel so guilty wasting that much time a day. Idk I think that's just me.

I think getting one bus ride would be a lot less stressful than having to get two trains and waiting around a bit. You could try getting the train one week and then the bus the next and then see which you prefer? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ParisInc.
Mine was a 15 minute walk to the train station, then a 25 minute train journey then a 30 minute walk to my school as there were no buses, so all together it took just over an hour on a good day, but the walk was terrible as it went uphill. The friends I made the journey with had to get two trains and their total journey was close to two hours. At the start of the year I was so tired and sweaty by the time we got to school and I'd be starving as soon as I got home so I'd eat a massive meal and then take a nap and stay up at night to do homework. Doing work on the train was rarely idea unless I got the earlier train as the peak time train was full of school kids and SO noisy. During exam season I'd wake up earlier to get the mostly empty early train at 6 something in the morning which was relaxing. I eventually got used to the journey after two years and can now walk long distances without really getting tired. I never really got travel sick but did fall asleep on the train a few times and once missed my stop.

My walk will be uphill too, and when I go to the station now I'm dying by the end of it. I get all sweaty and hot and it's so gross. Yeah my plan is to eat dinner as soon as I get home since I won't be back until about 5/5:30. My friend that goes to the college says he gets up early everyday to avoid rush hour and gets into college early and does work, but whether I would be motivated enough to do that is a different question - but I'll give it a try. It's nice to hear that you got used to the walking though, I hope I do too.
Reply 6
Original post by rayquaza17
I think getting one bus ride would be a lot less stressful than having to get two trains and waiting around a bit. You could try getting the train one week and then the bus the next and then see which you prefer? :smile:

My friend actually suggested this, but because my train ticket will be direct debit, I don't want to waste money. I think I might give it a try in the first few weeks though. Thanks!
I used to commute too. Took me forever to get to college.

5 minute walk
12 minute bus
22 minute train
20 minute wait
17 minute train
3 minute walk

Then that on the way home too. I has exhausted. I hated college not because of the actual college just for the commute every day. I used to wake up at 5:50am and not get home until 5:30pm. Ugh I do not miss those days.

Edit: those timings are on a good day. Sometimes there can be an added 30 minutes because of delays and what not. Sometimes the bus wouldn't turn up or the train was cancelled.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by amingo26
I used to commute too. Took me forever to get to college.

5 minute walk
12 minute bus
22 minute train
20 minute wait
17 minute train
3 minute walk

Then that on the way home too. I has exhausted. I hated college not because of the actual college just for the commute every day. I used to wake up at 5:50am and not get home until 5:30pm. Ugh I do not miss those days.

Edit: those timings are on a good day. Sometimes there can be an added 30 minutes because of delays and what not. Sometimes the bus wouldn't turn up or the train was cancelled.

I'm so torn because it's the only college near me that offers Philosophy at A Level, which is something I really want to do. I'm doing English Lit, History for definite and for my third A Level I didn't really want to do psychology, sociology, etc. because it doesn't interest me. Plus, it's the only one I've applied to now. So I guess there's no turning back.
Original post by csutton
I'm so torn because it's the only college near me that offers Philosophy at A Level, which is something I really want to do. I'm doing English Lit, History for definite and for my third A Level I didn't really want to do psychology, sociology, etc. because it doesn't interest me. Plus, it's the only one I've applied to now. So I guess there's no turning back.

Argh! I know some colleges do still accept so it might be worth a check so at least you still have back up if you change your mind? I know my local college is still accepting and the one in the next town so there's no harm in checking!

When it gets to winter time and it's dark, cold and snowy was the worst. Delays, cancellations and just generally being cold was awful. But then again in summer, stuck in a sweaty moving box of people isn't great...
Reply 10
Original post by amingo26
Argh! I know some colleges do still accept so it might be worth a check so at least you still have back up if you change your mind? I know my local college is still accepting and the one in the next town so there's no harm in checking!

When it gets to winter time and it's dark, cold and snowy was the worst. Delays, cancellations and just generally being cold was awful. But then again in summer, stuck in a sweaty moving box of people isn't great...

I don't really know what I'd do for my third A Level though, and I don't want to do something for 2 years that I won't enjoy. I guess I'll just have to do it. I mean, loads of people have done it before, right?
Original post by csutton
I don't really know what I'd do for my third A Level though, and I don't want to do something for 2 years that I won't enjoy. I guess I'll just have to do it. I mean, loads of people have done it before, right?

Honestly, I had no idea what to pick at all. I changed my options so many times until the tutor told me I had to stick with what I had!

I started: Maths, english lit, physics and EPQ
I switch to: Maths, RE, Further maths and physics
Then: Maths, English lang, RE, EPQ (I stuck with this for a few months)

Then I decided I really didn't like English Lang so I dropped it. Ugh the struggle.
Reply 12
Should be doable, but would obviously be difficult in undesirable weather, especially in the heights of winter and summer. Depending on what the dress code is, for me it's a suit, so recently I've been soaked in sweat in just the 15 minute walk to the bus at not even half seven in the morning!

I'm assuming you'll be getting discounts on the train journeys? As the cost can be quite a bit.
I found it horrible (but I think your journey is quite different)
I'm always so tired and that's the worst part, after a long day at school you just want to go home and SLEEP but you can't :frown:
Yeah if the train is quiet enough I can do some homework but not if its busy
My afternoon train is quite busy but most people get a seat (but I live in Scotland and trains are generally much quieter here). It's bad on bank holidays with young children or on Friday nights when people are drinking on the train.
I get SO carsick but I never get travel sick in trains :biggrin:

I just find the constant tiredness horrible, because I end up doing all my homework late at night and I get up early. Also, I can never go out with friends after school and this makes me feel extremely isolated where I live.

However, I hour I think is manageable, I travel for 2 hours to get to school and I think if it was only one and a quarter it would be easier.

I think if you're deciding to do this you'll be fine, don't let me put you off :tongue:
Good luck!! I'm sure you'll be fine, and remember it's only for two years!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by LukeB98
Should be doable, but would obviously be difficult in undesirable weather, especially in the heights of winter and summer. Depending on what the dress code is, for me it's a suit, so recently I've been soaked in sweat in just the 15 minute walk to the bus at not even half seven in the morning!

I'm assuming you'll be getting discounts on the train journeys? As the cost can be quite a bit.

I'm just afraid that in the winter the trains will be cancelled due to ice, however last winter wasn't too bad and we didn't even get any snow (in Birmingham) so hopefully, this winter won't be too bad either. I don't have a dress code, yay!

I will have the '16-18 railcard' which means I pay child fares instead of adult, and I think it's £30 a month. That isn't too bad considering it's all zones and I'll have my bursary to cover it.
Reply 15
Original post by ThePancake
I found it horrible (but I think your journey is quite different)
I'm always so tired and that's the worst part, after a long day at school you just want to go home and SLEEP but you can't :frown:
Yeah if the train is quiet enough I can do some homework but not if its busy
My afternoon train is quite busy but most people get a seat (but I live in Scotland and trains are generally much quieter here). It's bad on bank holidays with young children or on Friday nights when people are drinking on the train.
I get SO carsick but I never get travel sick in trains :biggrin:

I just find the constant tiredness horrible, because I end up doing all my homework late at night and I get up early. Also, I can never go out with my friends after school and this makes me feel extremely isolated where I live.

However, I hour I think is manageable, I travel for 2 hours to get to school and I think if it was only one and a quarter it would be a LOT easier.

I think if you're deciding to do this you'll be fine, don't let me put you off :tongue:
Good luck!! I'm sure you'll be fine, and remember it's only for two years!

My friend is travel sick in cars, but absolutely loves trains! That's so weird.

Your journey sounded terrible, I'm so sorry :frown:. But yeah, I think I will go through with it because it is an amazing college and I can't wait to meet new people, since I'm the only person from my school going there. Should be fun!
I am thinking about A level colleges too and I really want to go to the BRIT school in London and study theatre, the only trouble is its at least a 4 and 1/2 hour train ride away but its been my dream to go there for years, its one of the best performing arts schools in the country!!

Quick Reply

Latest