The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by econibpe
people applying to summers for the second time: do you have any specific do's and dont's with regards to applications?

How can you apply twice? If your on a 4 year course?
Original post by Gladiatorsword
How can you apply twice? If your ony a 4 year course?
Extend your studies via a gap year or something.

People who didn't get a summer can reapply as final years at some banks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by econibpe
people applying to summers for the second time: do you have any specific do's and dont's with regards to applications?

Diversify! Apply to stuff you like from IBD to Risk to Finance to commercial banks and accountancy firms etc.

You want to get quantity out but you dont wanna drop quality so make proper time for it or dont bother

Develop some actual industry knowledge rather than just ''interest'' and try to show that

Buy a practice pack and practice online tests
Is it really worth it to 'diversify' all the way to back office if you don't want that? How much chance do I have if I choose my second choice as asset management (within Goldman)?
Original post by lizzygrant
Is it really worth it to 'diversify' all the way to back office if you don't want that? How much chance do I have if I choose my second choice as asset management (within Goldman)?

Just to clarify, I didnt meant to diversify within one bank, I was saying I wouldn't personally apply to IBD/AM or whatever for every bank..
Reply 126
When do you guys plan to throw your applications? I though of doing it already, but I will wait till mid september probably. I heard GS and MS are doing early super days in the states already in August. I hope they're not this early in UK this year also.
Original post by RWiz
When do you guys plan to throw your applications? I though of doing it already, but I will wait till mid september probably. I heard GS and MS are doing early super days in the states already in August. I hope they're not this early in UK this year also.

Nah, they won't be that early. But I would get everything in by early September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RWiz

I wasn't going to submit GS or any other early openers until the last week of August at the earliest. I will prepare them though. I'm interning over summer which literally makes it really difficult to find time to create a good application, let alone start preparing for interviews. Most other banks do not even open until September.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Nah, they won't be that early. But I would get everything in by early September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For spring weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For spring weeks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This thread is for summer bro.

SWs it would have to be by preemptively making the decision to go on a three year course then informing the bank you changed your mind to the four year

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread is for summer bro.

SWs it would have to be by preemptively making the decision to go on a three year course then informing the bank you changed your mind to the four year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you in university? A first year undergrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132
Alright! It's gonna be interesting to see the pool of applicants this year. I have no idea who I am up against or how fierce the competition is as I'm from outside the UK! It's the minority who is even aware of summer intern opportunities in my country.
Are you in university? A first year undergrad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why so many questions man. You can figure out my backgrounds by reading around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
Original post by RWiz
Alright! It's gonna be interesting to see the pool of applicants this year. I have no idea who I am up against or how fierce the competition is as I'm from outside the UK! It's the minority who is even aware of summer intern opportunities in my country.

Which country is it?
Reply 135

If you decide to do a master you get another shot
Reply 136
Original post by LMAX
Which country is it?

:wink:!
(edited 7 years ago)
Why so many questions man. You can figure out my backgrounds by reading around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right i am asking too many questions. Im sorry i hope i haven't agitated you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're right i am asking too many questions. Im sorry i hope i haven't agitated you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, it's alright, honestly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 139
Original post by gsbs2
don't choose second options at Goldman (except locations ofc), teams want someone committed to the end. I´d avoid BOs at all costs no matter what, you may as well work in a back office at tesco

Did you go for NYC as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending