The Student Room Group

3 GCSE exams in maths 2017.Next year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
Well you're right but I guess it look at things in a more logical manner than Maths is technically easy. The point you've made on the English grade boundaries predicted to be lowered is very encouraging as it's a very difficult subject IMO in terms of having to remember different texts etc.

I think part of the problem with English is that it's not just rote learning of how you do each type of question, there has to be understanding, analysis and interpretation but that definitely works in our favour for the grade boundaries :smile:
Original post by theBranicAc

85%? No I don't think that it will be that low. My teachers way saying to get a 9 you need at least 95%.
Because of the increasing in difficulty and the cohorts at the beginning taking the qualification won't have gone through the new KS3 syllabus then they will have had to learn new skills which generally would be taught much earlier, as well as the additional GCSE skills so the standard is likely to be lower for the first few years. After a few years the grade boundaries will be expected to go up a bit, although not to 95%. 3% of the population getting 95% or higher in a harshly marked English exam? Not likely!

Its the same for maths- which can be achievable. However the new gcse are harder so you would expect high grade boundarys, unless aqa decide to lower it if loads of people do bad.

It's much easier to get 100% in maths than English though...The new GCSEs are harder which would generally indicate lower grade boundaries. As a matter of fact though it has been decided that the number of people who currently get an A or above will get a 7 or above and 20% of those will get a 9 (which will also equal 3% of the overall candidates which means that 15% of people overall will get a 7 or above). Therefore, if people do bad then the grade boundaries will be lower. :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
I think part of the problem with English is that it's not just rote learning of how you do each type of question, there has to be understanding, analysis and interpretation but that definitely works in our favour for the grade boundaries :smile:
Because of the increasing in difficulty and the cohorts at the beginning taking the qualification won't have gone through the new KS3 syllabus then they will have had to learn new skills which generally would be taught much earlier, as well as the additional GCSE skills so the standard is likely to be lower for the first few years. After a few years the grade boundaries will be expected to go up a bit, although not to 95%. 3% of the population getting 95% or higher in a harshly marked English exam? Not likely!

It's much easier to get 100% in maths than English though...The new GCSEs are harder which would generally indicate lower grade boundaries. As a matter of fact though it has been decided that the number of people who currently get an A or above will get a 7 or above and 20% of those will get a 9 (which will also equal 3% of the overall candidates which means that 15% of people overall will get a 7 or above). Therefore, if people do bad then the grade boundaries will be lower. :smile:

i thought it was top 20% of people who get a level 7 will get a level 9 not 3%?
i thought it was top 20% of people who get a level 7 will get a level 9 not 3%?

It's both. Top 20% of whom would get an A/7 or above will get a 9. Then next 40% an 8 then final 40% a 7. Equally, the top 3% overall will get a 9. It's also estimated that the next 6% will get an 8 and the next 6% after that will get a 7, but that has not been formally confirmed.
Reply 23
To get a level 9 you will possibly need 85-90%.Definitley you won't be needing 95% considering the new spec will be hard.Also is the first time the exam will be taken so therefore people will do bad.Furthermore,even people who get 160-180/200 in old spec are struggling in new spec so obviously to get A* will be low in order to award that grade to candidate.
Original post by anojan
GCSE Paper 1: Thursday 25th May 2017 (AM)
GCSE Paper 2: Thursday 8th June 2017 (AM)
GCSE Paper 3: Tuesday 13th June 2017 (AM)

This thread has already freaked me out:no::no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Naomeyz_01

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha me too! :biggrin:.The old spec was pretty much a free A* for me but for the new spec I will have to work hard :angry::frown:
[QUOTE="Fnt1klo;66539216"]Haha me too! :biggrin:.The old spec was pretty much a free A* for me but for the new spec I will have to work hard :angry::frown:[/QUOTE

Me too! All I get is 4+:no::no::no::no::no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've already made my exam timetable for next year! Now that is freaky
Reply 28

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why??
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anojan
Why??

probably because it's just set in that it's 10 months until the exam lol
Reply 30
Original post by Lemur14
probably because it's just set in that it's 10 months until the exam lol

OKKK
Reply 31
Does anyone know a good revision guide for the new maths gcse, I'm doing AQA? One that I can learn from myself as my maths teachers are useless? Thanksss
Original post by nm1276
Does anyone know a good revision guide for the new maths gcse, I'm doing AQA? One that I can learn from myself as my maths teachers are useless? Thanksss

Not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure the CGP 9-1 guide covers AQA :smile:
Original post by nm1276

CGP have a textbook/revision guide, practice exam workbook and practice questions. Make sure it's AQA and 9-1 though.

Quick Reply

Latest