The Student Room Group

Can't get a job - what more can I do?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc:)
Yes! I've tried this before and had no success but thanks for the reminder. I'll put out an ad.

I did offer to tutor someone I met before through this networking event but it turned weird when he messaged me in the middle of the night asking if I wanted to go for a drink some time. I still sometimes see him and try to not have to speak to him.

Hopefully I'll have better luck in future haha

Try this website ; tutor hunt ... You make a profile and then people can contact you
How about printing off some basic flyers and just putting them through the door with your email ( maybe make one just for tutoring ) and offer a free lesson and hopefully someone will contact you ?

That person messaging you sounds very odd but don't let that put you off ; you just need to get your name out there ; how about getting an advert in the local paper or something
(edited 7 years ago)
This might turn into a ramble, if it does I'm sorry in advance but I'm at the end of my tether right now because a year after graduating I still can't find a proper job. I live at home and right now can't even contribute any rent, having lost all my work over summer.

I have GCSEs and A-levels at A and A*, a languages degree (2.1), and other experience such as:

- A year abroad working in a school as part of my degree
- A 9 month leadership programme
- Running my own campaign / project
- Volunteering at uni
- A graduate award (given for extra-curricular activities)
- 2 part time jobs at uni (note taking and bar work, zero hours)
- Other bits and pieces like writing a report for Unite the union
- About to start a part-time Masters
- All voluntary, unpaid, or zero hour / temp contracts

As I'm about to start an MA and I've just registered, I can't sign on to get unemployment benefits so I currently have about £9 total to my name and no way of knowing when I'll get any more money.

I rarely get invited to interviews and when I do I've obviously never been offered the job. I've carried on being a note taker on a zero hour contract for the past year. What I really want is to work in either the public or charity sector

I don't want to sound like a whinging person who thinks they are entitled to a good job but as you can see above I have worked so hard, mostly for free, to develop skills and gain experience. I really don't know what else I can do. There's only so long I can keep on doing work for free!

What I really want to know is - looking at this list, what is missing? What can I do to improve my chances? Is there a course or qualification I could really do with?

Any help or advice would be amazing. Also if anyone is in a similar situation it would be great to chat just for mutual support.

TLDR: I can't find a job what do I do

I've recently secured a policy internship (paid) for a membership organisation which works with local councils, after nearly a year of applying. If there is one thing I learnt along the way, its that experience doesn't make up for a poor cover letter or poor interview, everything needs to be spot on. Each cover letter need to properly demonstrate your enthuasiasm for the organisation and show support for their mission and why, and each statement you make to show how you meet the job description needs an example with it. Then at interview again showing passion for the role is important, I missed out on one role because I did't demonstrate enough of it, as well as demonstrating you have the right skills however the questions are asked.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by jelly1000
I've recently secured a policy internship (paid) for a membership organisation which works with local councils, after nearly a year of applying. If there is one thing I learnt along the way, its that experience doesn't make up for a poor cover letter or poor interview, everything needs to be spot on. Each cover letter need to properly demonstrate your enthuasiasm for the organisation and show support for their mission and why, and each statement you make to show how you meet the job description needs an example with it. Then at interview again showing passion for the role is important, I missed out on one role because I did't demonstrate enough of it, as well as demonstrating you have the right skills however the questions are asked.

Congratulations and thank you for the advice. I am certain I fall down at interviews. What organisation are you interning for, out of interest? And where did you look for internships? Paid internships are something I am on the lookout for, although I was rejected from one this week!
Get on LinkedIn or on the phone/email and start networking

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easier said than done
Original post by Jee1
Easier said than done

translation: excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
translation: excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's true some will ignore you
Original post by Jee1
It's true some will ignore you

I know, but some won't.. Getting rejected shouldn't faze you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations and thank you for the advice. I am certain I fall down at interviews. What organisation are you interning for, out of interest? And where did you look for internships? Paid internships are something I am on the lookout for, although I was rejected from one this week!

Thank you :smile: And its a Policy Internship with the National Association of Local Councils in London- I did two unpaid research placements with local councils whilst at/just after finishing my undergrad degree and they also really liked the office based expeirence I have gained through volunteering in a charity office over the last year. Like JSP said learning from rejections is v important- whilst many of my post rejection emails just said 'we went with someone with more experience' I asked for feedback and had useful telephone conversations where I was told exactly where I had gone wrong.

I looked mainly on the w4mp website and also on the charity job website.
Reply 29
Original post by jelly1000
Thank you :smile: And its a Policy Internship with the National Association of Local Councils in London- I did two unpaid research placements with local councils whilst at/just after finishing my undergrad degree and they also really liked the office based expeirence I have gained through volunteering in a charity office over the last year. Like JSP said learning from rejections is v important- whilst many of my post rejection emails just said 'we went with someone with more experience' I asked for feedback and had useful telephone conversations where I was told exactly where I had gone wrong.

I looked mainly on the w4mp website and also on the charity job website.

Awesome it wouldn't let me rate you but thanks :smile:
I feel your pain. What kind of degree did you do? And what kind of work are you looking for?

Physics.

I don't know anymore.

I have other problems as well though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you thought about going into programming, software development?

These threads give lot of information on how to get these jobs without experience:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4072475
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4211356
TLDR: I can't find a job what do I do

Hey, I've messaged you.
Reply 33

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a lot of networking opportunities through the leadership programme I did. I'm able to go to a lot of events and have found some voluntary work through contacts I have made. The other poster is right though, it is easier said than done I don't know how on earth I would have made those contacts on my own..

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Physics.

I don't know anymore.

I have other problems as well though.

:frown: I really hope it works out
when you're applying for jobs do you meet the person spec? there's nothing wrong with some speculative apps for things a bit out of your league just in case but you can be using the person spec to highlight what you might need to improve on?

I assume you're not getting interviews since you didn't mention any, if you are then you might want to ask for feedback on your interviews to see if you can improve anything

I would also try and start working on getting ANY job so you're keeping busy, being employed makes you more employable
Original post by doodle_333
when you're applying for jobs do you meet the person spec? there's nothing wrong with some speculative apps for things a bit out of your league just in case but you can be using the person spec to highlight what you might need to improve on?

I assume you're not getting interviews since you didn't mention any, if you are then you might want to ask for feedback on your interviews to see if you can improve anything

I would also try and start working on getting ANY job so you're keeping busy, being employed makes you more employable

True. No matter if you're cleaning the office you gotta get yourself out there. On the job you can meet anyone too. Lots of examples of people working their way up from being cleaners / porters / assistants / etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Hiya! Have you thought about the NHS?? There are LOADS of non-medical roles (audiotyping, call-handling, administration, office support etc. etc. etc.) that require no specific qualifications or experience because by the nature of it you basically have to be trained from scratch for every single role - they are very strict about training because it is the NHS! You basically just have to prove you're not an idiot :smile: look at the jobs website for any band 2 roles and also go to specific websites that are kind of outwith clinical settings as they advertise separately (NHS24, ambulance service, NHS business services and so on - they all have offices that need officey type staff!!)

Literally gave me a total lifeline, and it genuinely is the case that once you are in, you are in. You can move around departments and go on secondments - they are literally chucking opportunities at you to learn new skills ( lifelong learning they call it :P ). Even if you don't want to do it forever it looks great on your CV and it is much easier to climb the pay scales because it is such a big organisation everything is in place to do that. Would look great for you if you are wanting to go into the third sector too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest